Thread: Crickets are not a favorite amongst my toads

Squirp

Default Crickets are not a favorite amongst my toads

They don't take to them as energetically as they would with pill bugs.
    when feeding them pill bugs, they will generally circle around each other, and I've even had to scold them after being somewhat aggressive towards each other.

Crickets, no such luck.
    I may have overdone it a bit, thinking each toad would gobble up 6-8 crickets easily.
    Now i have maybe 20 crickets who think they all own the place. meanwhile my toads have found them to be annoying and have taken deep cover.
    Size isn't an issue, I've watched my knot of toads take down huge pill bugs, we have quite the hefty mother pills out here. I'm concerned that maybe this isn't a preferred meal in the wild, twitchy scratchy legs are probably a nuisance.

Should I be concerned?
    could anyone suggest another good source of nutrients?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Badger

Default Re: Crickets are not a favorite amongst my toads

AWESOME food sources: B. Dubia roaches, and B. lateralis, common name's being dubias and red runners/turkistan roaches. They very nutritious, and dubias don't even look like roaches, just big beetles, but dubias get up to 2.5 inches adult size. Turkistan roaches only get about the same size of crickets. most animals love them too. About your crickets, you can wait and see if they eat em, or take em out. They generally don't harm the frogs, other than when they die and rot in the tank.

Poly

It may take some time for your toads to get used to crickets, mine too did not take to them at first, for now introduce them slowly, 2-5 crickets let roam free in their terrarium, though you may not actually see it, this may/will envoke a feeding response when you are not present. 20 crickets is far to many to be roaming around in their terrarium, this will stress them, remove at least 15 of the 20 crickets, and leave 2-5 crickets to roam around and catch the toads attention.

If after a while you still do not have luck with crickets, try removing their back legs, these may be bothering your toads, just a suggestion though, it may or may not work.

Another excellent food source are worms/nightcrawlers, these again, may or may not catch your toads attention, they make, large, slow movements, so it all depends on the toad, for instance, I have one toad that absolutely loves worms, whereas with my other toad, they do not even attract his attention.

Crickets by far are the most convenient feeder insect, they are fairly easy to keep, basic care needs, and you can release them into the frogs/toads enclosure and let the amphibian hunt them, whereas most other feeders such as worms/nightcrawlers, mealworms, etc will burrow into the substrate, so you have to be there to ensure a successful feeding.

If you can get your toads eating worms/nightcrawlers all the power too you! They will eventually come around on crickets, don't worry!

Also, you must purchase a 2:0 Calcium & Vitamin powder to dust their food with every second feeding. This will ensure they get a proper "source of nutrients".

~Royce

P.S. How long are your toads, STV (Snout to Vent) length?

5. This member thanks Poly for this post:

Badger

Poly has much more experience with toads than I, listen to him

Squirp

It took some time, because truthfully, I have a lot of mixed emotions about the order of Orthoptera.
    I never really grew up around them, but I took a charm to the idea of catching them.
    Shortly after that happened, my fascination ended once I encountered the locust mouth parts. Nightmares.
    And I can't quite say for sure how I feel about the ovipositor, but once I found the derivative of ensifera, It resharpen my interests in the suborder

This feeding issue has been solved, Regrettably this involved compromising the crickets until the toads took advantage of the handicap.
    I have them to the point where they will run out from cover, and slightly stalk any suspicion of a gryllidae.

Thread Information