Thread: What bulb do you recommend for heating source in a lamp?

frogmama

Default What bulb do you recommend for heating source in a lamp?

We have a new Pacman and want to make sure we are using the appropriate bulb as a heat source. Do we go with UV or red? Appreciate your feedback about what works well for you.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Badger

Default Re: What bulb do you recommend for heating source in a lamp?

I use red and black bulbs in my vivs. UVB bulbs don't throw off much heat (Other than MVB). How big is your tank? I usually use 25/40w to keep a temp between 70-80. Depends on tank size though, and I keep White's Tree frogs, not pacs >.<

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

What kind of Pacman do you have? For all accept Albino Pacs you can buy a 50 watt basking light with a concentrated beam of light combined with a lamp that has a dimmer switch so that you can accurately control the amount of light or heat coming from the bulb. Exo-Terra and Zoo Med make good bulbs. For night time use a infrared bulb that is also 50 watts no higher as the bulbs will be to hot and bright. Definetly need to know what size terrarium you have and how about some pics of your little guy/girl. Becareful about humidity levels when using lights as they burn off humidity within the enclosure. Humidity must be 70 to 80% idealy. Temps during the day of 80 to 85 no higher and night 75 to78 degrees.

frogmama

Thanks for the replies. We've got him in a 10 x 10 ExoTerra for now, but I expect we'll be upgrading to a larger size tank in the next 3 to 4 months. He's a tiny little guy/girl? at about two 1/2 to three months old. He's a green pac.

We picked up a 25W ExtoTerra night glow bulb that has worked well this evening. It was on for about 5 hours, and I turned it off a few minutes ago since the temp read 80. We've got a 60W UV bulb that was recommended by the pet store, but we haven't used it because I think after researching it will be too hot. We keep the room at around 75 during the day, so I'll be watching the temps closely tomorrow throughout the day to gauge how much/how long we need to heat during the day. Fortunately, I'm at home during the day to be able to do that.

We'll post pics soon, but I'm still new to the site so it may take me a few days to figure it out! Any advice on sexing? We forgot to ask the sex when we got him/her this afternoon. Regardless, my son has named him/her Tom.

Thanks again for the feedback; it's a great comfort to a newbie.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

60 watts is too high. If the room temp is. Staying around 75 and the room doesn't have any drafts then it won't take much to keep the terrarium temps up. 25 watts should be fine. Like I said, the dial lights are great because you can tweak the temps to where they need to be. If you're there to keep an eye on the temp and humidity then you shouldn't have any problems.

Sexing is almost impossible when they are that young. You can't really tell until they reach maturity, which can be anywhere from 8 to 15 months. If it starts calling then its male. Males will get nuptual pads but again, not until maturity. Females are generally bigger, but not always. Pacmans can grow at very different rates so size is not a definitive indicationof gender. Some people say that spotted chests, the color of their feet, and the slope/bluntness of the nose can indicate gender as well, but none of those are guarantees. So just make a guess and you will find out in a few months if you are right or not!

frogmama

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. We're using a 25W night glow (because it was the only 25W they had at the pet store that fit our base) and it's working really well. Keeping temp in the range of 79 to 83. The little one is doing well - eating voraciously and making good use of his/her pool. Will post pics soon. Thanks again!

Thread Information