Thread: My No Name ABF Progress

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default My No Name ABF Progress

This is my unnamed African Bullfrog; at least until find out it's sex. Right now it's reaching 3 in. and when visited yesterday store for crickets noticed it's brothers and sisters are 1/3 to 1/2 smaller, so it's growing fast with me the 10 days I've had it. Housing is a 10 gal. tank with very simple set-up. Initially had some pebbles in there but after reading about frogs swallowing all kinds of non-edible stuff got rid of them before they fit it's mouth. Now have a plant and an upturned clay dish as single decor. It's an all water set-up and frog spends all day in water but in the morning have been finding it on top of the dish last couple of days.

01 November:

09 November:

Tank temperature stays between 79-80F and humidity around 75%. Been spraying tank and covered with glass the top screened area (not below light bulbs) but can't get humidity to 80 yet. Researching humidifiers right now, also getting a digital hygrometer that can be calibrated soon. Diet is daily feedings alternating between earthworms and dusted crickets/mealworms. Do have a couple questions:

1. At what length should I go to every other day feeding?
    2. What are your thought's on deworming frog (do all or only for animals showing digestive or health problems)?
    3. Any tricks to raise humidity other than spraying? Reptile foggers in market appear not to work for long and reviews are not the best?

Future plans include a nice enclosure based on a 40 gal. breeder (36x18x18 in.) tank. Will be water based with a ramp to dry area and some kind of waterfall powered by XP1 return outlet to splash water and raise humidity up. Have tank, heater for it, just got filter (Rena XP1 for $29.99 at Petsmart's Rena liquidation) and some decor. Looking for a stand and need to get the screen top plus a couple decor items. Will start a thread on build-up once get things going.

BTW, saw some nice Monkey Walking frogs on store yesterday... held one in hand... so cute! Thanks for visiting!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: My No Name ABF Progress

I wouldn't get a humidifier if you are keeping your frog in a water set up. Seventy-five will be fine.

I went to every other day feedings when the amount of food they were eating became enough to keep them full for a couple days. When my pixies started eating about 10 nightcrawlers a sitting, I switched to a spread out eating schedule.

I like the idea of your tank. That XP1 is really nice.

I am not sure on the deworming.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for comments and information Jimifrog!

Sublime

Cool man. He is growing fast and I like the revamped setup you did there.

Answers:

1. During the time of them transitioning from babies to juvenile size (2.5 - 3" svl) is when you should start feeding them every other day, i.e. 2-3 days.

2. It should only be necessary if your frogs starts displaying one of the following symptoms*. If you're one of those guys that likes to take extra safety measure and or precautions, then it's not a bad habit to get into.

Here's a piece of the care sheet I took from Basic Frog First Aid: "Panacur (Febendazole) is a great medicine to have on hand. Purchase it as Panacur-C in the 4 gram packets. It is safe to use and some people recommend treating your collection routinely with it once every 1-2 weeks to keep worms under control. Personally I treat my frogs for 3 days on the first of every month. It is very easy to use; you just dust the food with it."

*Does eat, loses weight, listless.
    Parasites in intestines, “Worms”
    Treat with FENBENDAZOLE (PANACUR) 25mg/kg of bodyweight. Dissolve and drop on frogs’ back once a day for at least 10 days. Or dust the food items for 3 consecutive days.

© Paul Rust

3. Jimi's right. 75% humidity is perfectly fine - those analog thermometer/hygrometer's calibration will always be a few degrees or moisture percentage off. Might I also suggest that the area you have that thermometer/hygrometer (unless it's just a single meter) is nearly right underneath the lights and won't be accurate where you frog actually is. Try placing it down lower like 4 inches above the water line.

Only other options for raising humidity is ways you've already mentioned: Humidifier, spraying, waterfall or filtration spill, and covering part of the top with glass. Humidifier is not worth it for the moisture content you're already raising.

------

Your future plans are exactly what I want to do with a 40 breeder. Good luck, haha.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for comments and all the information Mark! Will try to reposition hygrometer today if sticky pad allows by sliding knife edge under it. Guess it's time then to stop daily feedings and go every other day. This one very cool and started recognizing me this week. Also, it jumps all over tank in excitement when it sees the yellow feeding tweezers in my hand.

Nationality
    [United States]

Time to update progress, AFB is 3 in. from snout to vent. These pics are around a week old, having issues learning new photo management program.

Starting to think of male names, because that's what it looks like to me; what do you think?

Been on a "every other day" feeding for a week now and it's been very exciting. Thinks it eats same amount or even more... probably to make up for off day. Changing water and misting on off day is a challenge because the moment my hand goes in tank this frog becomes intent on getting some food... even if it's my fingers. Covers half the 10 gal. in one easy jump and reaches up over 6-8 in., so a taller tank will be needed soon.

So far have developed some communication skills:

- Face plant on front glass = Feed ME!
    - Face away = done eating, go away, leave me alone, or all above.
    - Fake jump (moves rear legs as in jumping but goes nowhere) = Hey, pay attention!
    - Jumping = Food, food, where's the damned food!
    - Open mouth = Feed ME or I'll bite you!
    - Spread out = Happy frog!
    - Eye squint followed by face rub with front paws and chewing motion = Molting?

Working already on a second temporary home (20 gal.) until time can get a stand for 40 breeder. Until next update then!

Nationality
    [United States]

Nice pictures. Pretty frog. It sounds like you really have him down.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Jimifrog View Post
    Nice pictures. Pretty frog. It sounds like you really have him down.
    Thank you Jimifrog! Do you agree on male; I'm a beginner and could be wrong.

Do hope this one calms down as it ages; can't imagine feeding and cleaning tank on a ferocious jumping 8 in. frog that will attack from 2 feet away in a fraction of a second. Twice it's mouth has hit my finger from 6 in. away barely missing a bite. Maybe will have to get some bite protecting gloves, he, he, he.

Nationality
    [United States]

My frog Bugsy kept trying to bite me last night when I fed him. He's closing in on 7 inches. His nose hit my fingers a couple times.

As far as your frog, he looks like a male to me, based on that second picture.

Nationality
    [United States]

Following photos were taken today in new 20 gal. set-up; frog is reaching 4 in. soon! For scale, that clay dish is 6 in. diameter. Currently still feeding every other day; at what size do I change feeding schedule again?

First 3 are with flash, rest under a dual T5 fixture (1-10K and 1 GrowLux tubes) burrowed from one of my aquariums. Does it still looks like a male; have not heard it croaking yet.

Nationality
    [United States]

He is looking good. Nice looking froggy.

Eel Noob

Very interesting looking boy. Do keep us updated, would love to see how this guy turns out.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you for comments Jimifrog and Eel Noob! Will name him Stilgar!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Stilgar

Stilgar has been croaking for the past few days every evening! Sounds like a big gross "burp" after a nice meal, he, he, he.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Stilgar

Stilgar is reaching 5 in. SVL on a diet of dusted crickets and night crawlers he eats aggressively. Went from daily to every other day feedings shortly before he reached 3 in. SVL.

At what length is it recommended a change in current feeding schedule and to what? Thank you!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Stilgar

Little update on Stilgar but no new pics, sorry. Camera went to son as Christmas present (wanted DSLR... my DSLR) and currently waiting for a nice digital rangefinder being introduced late March.

Stilgar is well and on it's way to 6 in. now. Slowed feeding to every 2-3 days and normally eats either 2 dozen adult crickets & 1/2 dozen large Canadian night crawlers or 1 dozen crickets & 1 dozen worms.

Lately have been feeding him after water change (with water drained) and he was sliding all over glass bottom when chasing crickets; so added a pre-cut green terrarium liner by Zilla. There are different brands out there and some contain chemicals so be careful when selecting if want to do same. Zilla has some enzyme coating that appears fine with frog to this date (about 2 weeks since adding). The liner is holding fine underwater and Stilgar has great traction and jumps half way his tank when chasing crickets.

Still working on his next tank (either a 40 breeder or 75 gal.) and looking for some natural grasses could grow on a wet marsh section. Maybe should look for artificial grasses too. Will update pics as soon as have the new camera and thank you for stopping by!

Thread Information