Thread: How can I tell if they're both eating?

rosaphile

Default How can I tell if they're both eating?

Hey guys, we moved our two little White's tree frogs into their big terrarium this evening. I went out and bought a larger clamp lamp (the Fluker's 8.5" with dimmer) and a 150W infrared bulb. Quite possibly overkill for the terrarium, but with the dimmer I can regulate it and I'd rather have too much power to work with than too little. With the smaller lamp, I was having trouble keeping even the little 10-gallon up to the right temps. I will post some pics in the vivarium forum tomorrow.

Just checking in regarding the little guys, the past 3 nights since we got them I have been feeding about 8 small (1/2") crickets each night, around 7pm at lights-out, in a glass bowl. Each night all but maybe 1 of the crickets has been gone by morning, and I have seen one of the frogs either eating or lurking by the bowl from time to time. But I can't tell if they are both eating. It's really hard to tell them apart at this point, especially when observing them under dim red light at night. One was darker when we got them but they both look the same, very pretty, delicate blue-green color now. While they were in the 10-gal tank (from Friday afternoon to this evening), there were no poops. Tonight, when I went to check on them just now, I saw one frog perched on the edge of the food bowl, which was now empty except for a frog poo. Should I be offering more crickets? The frogs are both about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long by the way.

As far as their behavior goes, I haven't seen either of them being particularly active. In the smaller tank, one of them seemed to be spending a lot of time squeezed into the top corner of the tank closest to the heat source, while the other would hang out nearby or in the water dish. They have both been moving around this evening but I've only seen one of them down by the bowl.

Again, I will post some more pics tomorrow if I can get them! Thanks for any advice, reassuring, or hand-holding you can offer!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rae

Default Re: How can I tell if they're both eating?

I have two Grey Tree Frogs and once I put them together I was nervous one wouldn't get food. I now feed them with tweezers. it also has seemed to almost tame them a lil more they are less jumpy and wait for me to open the terrarium. I thought it would be a bit of a pain having to do this but I'm actually enjoying it a great deal. Makes feeding time more fun. If there is Frog by the glass bowl at feeding I will still use it for that one as long as a I know it sees them but I feed the other with the long tweezers.

rosaphile

I thought about that, too. Maybe my son would enjoy doing that.

rosaphile

So this evening I first fed 6 crickets (all that I could easily get out of the cricket keeper) and one of the frogs came down and scarfed them all. So a while later I fed the last 4 crickets. Both frogs went after them with enthusiasm, but one of them was trying to hunt them from outside the bowl, while the other happily ate all 4 in about 30 seconds. I could have screamed, as I am morally certain that the one who ate the last 4 was the one who ate the first 6, too!

Will someone please tell me it's going to be alright?? I am stressing out to a ridiculous degree. :P

Badger

Two feeding bowls? Have you tried forecep/hand feeding?

rosaphile

I definitely want to try the forceps, I think my son would really get a kick out of it. Not sure about hand feeding, they still run away when a hand comes near. Where can you get the right kind of forceps? online only?

Tomorrow we'll be picking up another batch of crickets and then we'll see. Meanwhile, neither of them looks skinny to me, it won't be a problem if one gets underfed for a couple of days... ?

Badger

Not wore a couple days, couple weeks could present an issue though P: You can get forceps at most pet stores that sell crickets/reptiles. Try and get the soft tipped ones if you can find them.

Rae

I got my tweezers/forceps at my Petsmart ... but yes any place that sells reptiles and accessories should have feeding forceps. Just tell the sales person that you need it for feeding live crickets.

Usually you want to feed young frogs daily but adults can be every other day. I wouldnt go more than that especially if you are already concerned one isnt getting what he should.

My approach to making sure two frogs get fed when one is obviously a more aggressive hunter- chill crickets in the freezer for 30 seconds or so. They stop moving. Place some in front of each frog. As they warm up they start moving and get eaten by the nearest frog. Don't leave the crickets in the freezer for too long or they, well, die. Might be easier than trying to tong feed your still skittish frogs at this point.

Also- get an opaque feeder bowl, that will stop the trying to eat from the outside issue. Or bury your glass one in the substrate down to near rim level.

rosaphile

Thanks for the freezer tip, I may give that a try! The husband is picking up some more crickets and hopefully a set of tongs on the way home from work this afternoon. I think my son would like to at least try the tongs feeding so we will see if that works, first.

Would it be too stressful to remove one from the terrarium and put it in a critter keeper at feeding time? I know a lot of keepers do that but I'm not sure about the timing, i.e., would that be better left until they are tamer and more accustomed to their new home.

If you are at the point where you don't think one has eaten for several days, then feeding in a separate container is fine. Put the frog in the critter keeper with a few crickets, put it in an out of the way location and don't disturb it for 15 minutes or so to let it settle in and eat.

Keep in mind that a healthy adult tree frog should have no problem going a week (or even much longer) without food. Not that you want this to happen of course, but you don't have to get really worried if it's missed a few days. Being your new babies of course you'll likely err on the side of of a concerned parent and that's understandable

rosaphile

Okay, so my more reluctant eater had a spell in the critter keeper this evening. He ate 3 small crickets and made a poopie. Of course the other guy inhaled 5 crickets in a flash, and will probably finish off the other's leftovers. I'm thinking he needs a name indicative of his gluttony.

I was thinking maybe tomorrow I will remove the bolder frog to the critter keeper for a while and let the other one have a chance at the regular food bowl. I also ordered some Exo Terra feeding tongs (Petsmart didn't have the right kind) so we'll give that a try too.

Thread Information