Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What I can feed my Pacman?

JessySihk

Default What I can feed my Pacman?

My name is Jess and Im new to the forum, though I am also joined to Pacific Northwest Herpetelogical Society forum and Bearded dragons.org forums. I am not new to reptiles how ever I am new to owning a Red Albino Pacman frog.
    I was wondering some thing, maybe some of you more seasoned Pacman owners can help me out?

~I know i can feed my pacman Shrimp, can it be raw or cooked? Can it be either? Or is one better to feed then the other?
    ~He is only a baby and as big as a quarter, I have him housed in a 10 gallon with decorative red rocks on a quarter are of the tank, and the rest is kept moist paper towel. I use to have spagnum moss there but figured he could ingest that and switched. He also has a water bowl big enough for him to sit in on his heated side. I will put pictures below of his setup but note the pictures were taken when i was using spagnum moss, Is there anything else i should know?

I hand painted the backround myself

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: What I can feed my Pacman?

I wouldn't keep a pac-man (or any other frog for that matter) on gravel. It can be accidentally swallowed and can lead to gastric impaction, a condition that can lead to death.

Are you a member of the Pacific Northwest Herpetelogical Society? And if so do you know a Sarah Hodges (or Staples)?

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Cooked shrimp (the kind you buy frozen in the super market) is just fine but I don't recommend it as a staple food simply because it's not something they would eat very often in the wild, plus the shrimp sold in super markets is marine shrimp, something these frogs would never come into contact with in the wild. I highly recommend nightcrawlers as a staple for large sedentary frogs like Pacman frogs and Pyxie frogs. An occasional frozen mouse is fine too (but again, shouldn't be the staple).

JessySihk

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I wouldn't keep a pac-man (or any other frog for that matter) on gravel. It can be accidentally swallowed and can lead to gastric impaction, a condition that can lead to death.

Are you a member of the Pacific Northwest Herpetelogical Society? And if so do you know a Sarah Hodges (or Staples)?
    Yes im a member and no i dont know that person. i am already aware of the gravel thing and thats why only a small portion of his tank has gravel in it, He alsmot never goes over there so im not worried about it, He would rather be on the moist paper towels hidin in his dish or something so the rocks or more for looks.

JessySihk

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Cooked shrimp (the kind you buy frozen in the super market) is just fine but I don't recommend it as a staple food simply because it's not something they would eat very often in the wild, plus the shrimp sold in super markets is marine shrimp, something these frogs would never come into contact with in the wild. I highly recommend nightcrawlers as a staple for large sedentary frogs like Pacman frogs and Pyxie frogs. An occasional frozen mouse is fine too (but again, shouldn't be the staple).
    Well i would be doing crickets as a staple but my beardies eat a ton of them as it is. What are night crawlers? And thanx for the info on the mini shrimps.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by JessySihk View Post
    Well i would be doing crickets as a staple but my beardies eat a ton of them as it is. What are night crawlers? And thanx for the info on the mini shrimps.
    I'm not a big fan of crickets because you need to gutload them for them to be of any value. Nightcrawlers are the large earthworms sold as catfish bait. Not the red-ringed smaller species that are sold as compost earthworms.

Kurt

[quote=JessySihk;467]Yes im a member and no i dont know that person.[quote]

She was an old friend of mine that I have lost contact with. She went by the handle of Fr0glet. There are two pics of her on the PNHS web site. She is wearing a blue shirt with a gecko on it. I guess she has moved on.

JessySihk

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I'm not a big fan of crickets because you need to gutload them for them to be of any value. Nightcrawlers are the large earthworms sold as catfish bait. Not the red-ringed smaller species that are sold as compost earthworms.
    I have Dubia roaches all sizes =] I bet those would be good too.

JessySihk

[QUOTE=Kurt;472][quote=JessySihk;467]Yes im a member and no i dont know that person.

She was an old friend of mine that I have lost contact with. She went by the handle of Fr0glet. There are two pics of her on the PNHS web site. She is wearing a blue shirt with a gecko on it. I guess she has moved on.
    Im sorry i dont know her =/

Kurt

[quote=JessySihk;474][quote=Kurt;472]
    Quote Originally Posted by JessySihk View Post
    Yes im a member and no i dont know that person.

Im sorry i dont know her =/
    Its ok. Thanks anyway.

jody

yeah, id remove the gravel. the larger stones are fine. I use glass "stones" they look nice lots of colors, and clean easily. I throw the broken or chipped ones into the fish bowl. I use gut loaded crickets and also dusted crickets twice a week. they love the night crawlers. and feeder gold fish. I cant feed mice. im a baby about that.

jody

are the tank sides painted? pretty setup.

JessySihk

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    are the tank sides painted? pretty setup.
    Yup their painted on the outside =] Thankyou. I have yet to do the right side of the tank becuz im lazy and i have other tanks such as my snake tanks i want to paint =]

DeeSeven

hey jessy

I feed my pacman frog the following

Dubia Roaches, NightCrawlers, Gut Loaded Crickets, a frozen Pinky once every 2 months (give or take)

roaches are nightcrawlers are the staple...crickets are the alternative if I'm low on the first 2 and pinky is as a treat

Below is the "stare down" I get every time I look at him lol

findiviglio

Hi Jesse,

The roaches, and earthworms if available, along with small fishes, will be fine as a staple. Just be sure not to use goldfish exclusively, as such has been linked to kidney/liver problems in some species (alternate with shiners, guppies, minnows, etc.). As mentioned earlier re shrimp, fish are not part of the normal diet...however, fish have been used long-term for years with these frogs (shrimp have not) and have proven a good dietary staple and calcium source.

Other insects should be mixed in on occassion - crickets, waxworms, wild caught insects; tong-fed canned insects a great way of incresing dietary variety. Be sure to feed your crickets well...I have an article on this and many related topics posted at http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatreptileblog/,

Best regards, Frank Indiviglio

17. This member thanks findiviglio for this post:

nat31

I hope that this can help

here are some care sheets i found on pacman frogs just search through them and you should find all you need to no on this frog.

http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/967.html

http://www.anapsid.org/ornatacare.html

http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/506.html

DeeSeven

Quote Originally Posted by findiviglio View Post
    small fishes, will be fine as a staple. Just be sure not to use goldfish exclusively, as such has been linked to kidney/liver problems in some species (alternate with shiners, guppies, minnows, etc.).
    Fish cause problems regardless if its a minnow/goldfish/betta/piece of salmon/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by findiviglio View Post
    fish have been used long-term for years with these frogs (shrimp have not) and have proven a good dietary staple and calcium source.
    um NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

there is no good diertary and not enough calcium in fish..

[/quote]wild caught insects[/quote]

sorry but are you out of your ****ing mind? wild caught insects may carry parasites or chemicals from the outside

please do research before posting again holy ****

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Not to instigate DeeSeven but you need to be more respectful and consider just who you're criticizing. Frank Indiviglio is a pillar in the herpetocultural community. To start off with, wild caught insects are just fine if you catch them in areas uncontaminated by pesticides and parasites are not really an issue for the most part. Second of all, fish can be used as a diet as long as you mix up species and are feeding whole fish. There was an article a while ago about "feeder" fish not being appropriate unless supplemented, but as a whole they are great food sources.

It is fine to disagree and debate but you need to do so respectfully. The point of these message boards is the sharing of knowledge and discussion between keepers.

Alex

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Yes, thank you Alex. DeeSeven, please try to be more respectful. It's fine to disagree but please don't swear at someone when it's possible to make a constructive and persuasive argument while remaining polite.

DeeSeven

my apology to the board for my outburst..I've just seen a lot of pacmans and other frogs die from feeder fish and wild caught bugs..and your right the board is to share information and knowledge but I've never ever ever ever ever ever heard anyone say wild caught bugs is ok nor feeder fish...in fact I've read on several sites and heard thro various people you should avoid the 2 at all costs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information