Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What I can feed my Pacman?

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: What I can feed my Pacman?

I personally would never use feeder fish unless I had cultured them myself. Regarding bugs/insects, it really would depend on the source.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Its funny. Twenty or thirty years ago when this hobby was really in its infancy there were no mass cultured insects or other food sources, everyone relied upon wild-caught foods. If you read the older books they all talk about how to catch your own insects for your pets. In reality the array of wild-caught insects provides a much more balanced diet for your frog; in the wild your pet would not just have a handful of prey items, they would have a diverse selection to choose from. That being said, in todays day and age you have to be very careful about the source of your inverts because we so often spray with insecticides, pesticides, fungicides, herbicides, and fertilizers; all of which can be harmful to amphibians. If you do decide to go with wild-caught be sure to choose your collecting locations carefully.

As for fish. Fish can provide an excellent dietary supplement and in some species an excellent diet. You can feed pieces of fish or whole fish. Fish possess many nutrients and useful stuff for reptiles and amphibians just like it does for humans. There are plenty of sources that say this is an ok idea but you must be careful. Just like feeding your frog mice, it could lead to obesity. As for the sources, choose your feeder fish source wisely as well. Are the fish healthy, are they wild-caught or captive bred, etc. The best people to ask about feeder fish would be snake keepers who keep aquatic or semi-aquatic species like Chersydrus, Seminatrix, Erpeton, Thamnophis, etc. These species feed almost entirely on fish. N.B.-Feeder goldfish are not really great, try minnows are something along those lines.

And finally, parasites. Herpetoculturists always get bent out of shape when it comes to parasites. We are constantly flooding our captives with drugs and caustic chemicals to "rid" them of parasites. The reality is that all animals, us included, can handle some sort of parasite load. If you ever look at wild amphibians or reptiles they almost always have some parasites. These parasites only become a problem when the animal is stressed, which is why we always flush newly imported animals. Of course we should always attempt to limit the number of parasites that our pets consume but it probably won't be the end of the world.

Alex

4. This member thanks tylototriton for this post:

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by DeeSeven View Post
    in fact I've read on several sites and heard thro various people you should avoid the 2 at all costs.
    Frank is a published author and professional herpetologist, so he has the credentials. The fact about most web sites, is that anyone can write anything they want. Doesn't make it true. I could post pac-man frogs eat crayons and really thrive on the blue ones. Doesn't make it true, but someone some where would swear it was the God-given gospel because they saw it on-line. So try to keep in mind the source of any information you come across.
    Also, one thing I learned keeping many animals over many years and working at the Museum of Science in Boston, is that there are no husbandry laws written in stone. There some that are widely accepted, but none are accepted as law.

my apology to the board for my outburst..I've just seen a lot of pacmans and other frogs die from feeder fish and wild caught bugs..and your right the board is to share information and knowledge but I've never ever ever ever ever ever heard anyone say wild caught bugs is ok nor feeder fish...in fact I've read on several sites and heard thro various people you should avoid the 2 at all costs.
    I know this is an old thread. But I must disagree on the statement about wild caught bugs.

That is wrong in my honest opinion. If the bug isn't toxic to the amphibian, comes from a pesticide free, non polluted environment then it should be fine.

Say if you live by a forest, and you have insects that your amphibians would be able to safely eat. Such as: moths, earthworms, roaches, etc. They would be fine to feed to the amphibian AS LONG as it comes from a NON-POLLUTED area, NO pesticides where used for atleast a year. I'ved fed some wild moths to my frogs before. Nothing wrong happened. I'ved caught crickets from my yard and fed it to my frogs, turtle, and toads----nothing happened.

I'ved fed wild caught earthworms to my pets as well. Nothing happened. That's my experience on how it's occurred to me. Animals are hardier than alot of people make them appear. Now if you're talking about feeding some fireflies to an animal that's different. They're toxic to begin with.

7. This member thanks Deku for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

This is a very informative thread. Thanks guys
    Hakuna Matata

Quote Originally Posted by Geckogirlemi92 View Post
    This is a very informative thread. Thanks guys
    If it was my advice that was helpfull I guess you're welcome. I just thought I should have pointed out my experience on wildcaught bugs as feeders. Imo all insects can carry anything. Even if kept in perfectly clean conditions. They're not steamed and served in a plate to the frog for it to eat. No its still alive therefore it will still have bacteria and possible parasites on it(if any). Personally I mainly just feed stuff I think my amphibians will love from what I find. My toads love moths. My turtle likes spiders and such.

Nationality
    [United States]

It was everyone's info equally I was thanking you all very good info
    Hakuna Matata

Quote Originally Posted by Geckogirlemi92 View Post
    It was everyone's info equally I was thanking you all very good info
    Mkay. Well on my part--- you're most welcome.

BG

I started raise pac man frogs on different foods. I keep it flexible,so they don't get bored. They get spoiled more in captivity. Just like us.lol. millions of years ago our diet was different then todays.

tukmol

i sometimes feed my pacman raw shrimps (thawed of course) which i buy from the grocery. no problems with it.

commonly i feed my pacman frog around 10-15 feeder frogs (acquired from the pet store), let him have it loose in his cage so he could hunt for himself. he grew rapidly on this diet.

i also had fed him feeder goldfish as an alternative. i limit him on two at a time.

i tried feeding him superworms. he loved it (he has a knack for squirming prey) however lots of exoskeletons had been found in his feces.... so now i've made the superworms into darkling beetles and fed him some instead. waiting for results.

BG

Very interested in your way. Thank you.

Ebenezer Frothingham

my apology to the board for my outburst..I've just seen a lot of pacmans and other frogs die from feeder fish and wild caught bugs..and your right the board is to share information and knowledge but I've never ever ever ever ever ever heard anyone say wild caught bugs is ok nor feeder fish...in fact I've read on several sites and heard thro various people you should avoid the 2 at all costs.
    Wild caught bugs are risky- they might have eaten pesticides- But if you live in the country (and better yeat if you are on a farm), and have healthy bugs and earthworms, i don't see why they would be a problem. Avoid any and all critters from urban areas

Ebenezer Frothingham

Quote Originally Posted by tukmol View Post
    i tried feeding him superworms. he loved it (he has a knack for squirming prey) however lots of exoskeletons had been found in his feces.... so now i've made the superworms into darkling beetles and fed him some instead. waiting for results.

I've read that some pacmans have a hard time digesting superworms. The wikepedia entry on pacmans suggests the exoskeletons are very hard to digest. Mine likes them, but Im not sure I'll feed him superworms again

tukmol

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezer Frothingham View Post
    I've read that some pacmans have a hard time digesting superworms. The wikepedia entry on pacmans suggests the exoskeletons are very hard to digest. Mine likes them, but Im not sure I'll feed him superworms again
    i agree, i stopped feeding him superworms already after seeing his feces. it's not the usual hard lump, but more of an LBM type and superworm exoskeletons are scattered everywhere.

Dekaylub

A lotof ppl are saying "night crawlers" is this the same as a "Dew Worm" that's easyily bought at bait shops?? If so I found my fooood! I hate crickets

Ebenezer Frothingham

Quote Originally Posted by Dekaylub View Post
    A lotof ppl are saying "night crawlers" is this the same as a "Dew Worm" that's easyily bought at bait shops?? If so I found my fooood! I hate crickets
    Worms are good- My pacman loves them. I'd like to find a place that sells those huge night crawlers.

I didn't realize how aggressive crickets can be-Last night one of them actually tried to chew on my pacman's eye! Luckily no damage was done- That cricket died a horrible death for attacking my pacman. (fed to my giant goldfish)
    If you feed your pacman crickets, make sure you watch them, or use tongs to feed them directly. I imagine my pacman is growing bored of the taste of crickets, he/she has eaten well over 30 of them. I hope to find some bug alternatives that are nutricious and tasty. How about ants?

Ebenezer Frothingham

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    I know this is an old thread. But I must disagree on the statement about wild caught bugs.

That is wrong in my honest opinion. If the bug isn't toxic to the amphibian, comes from a pesticide free, non polluted environment then it should be fine.

Say if you live by a forest, and you have insects that your amphibians would be able to safely eat. Such as: moths, earthworms, roaches, etc. They would be fine to feed to the amphibian AS LONG as it comes from a NON-POLLUTED area, NO pesticides where used for atleast a year. I'ved fed some wild moths to my frogs before. Nothing wrong happened. I'ved caught crickets from my yard and fed it to my frogs, turtle, and toads----nothing happened.

I'ved fed wild caught earthworms to my pets as well. Nothing happened. That's my experience on how it's occurred to me. Animals are hardier than alot of people make them appear. Now if you're talking about feeding some fireflies to an animal that's different. They're toxic to begin with.
    I think it depends where you catch them- My family had a farm that was rich with bugs and earthworms- we never used pesticides- Farm worms and bugs are safe. But ones found under a rock near a gas station or in the city are risky

BG

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezer Frothingham View Post
    Worms are good- My pacman loves them. I'd like to find a place that sells those huge night crawlers.

I didn't realize how aggressive crickets can be-Last night one of them actually tried to chew on my pacman's eye! Luckily no damage was done- That cricket died a horrible death for attacking my pacman. (fed to my giant goldfish)
    If you feed your pacman crickets, make sure you watch them, or use tongs to feed them directly. I imagine my pacman is growing bored of the taste of crickets, he/she has eaten well over 30 of them. I hope to find some bug alternatives that are nutricious and tasty. How about ants?
    i got 500 crickets from the show last week,and i was very happy. Im not any more! Every time i go to collect some,some escape. Now the house is full of cricket. They are noisy buggers. They Re so hard to manage.lol

Ebenezer Frothingham

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    i got 500 crickets from the show last week,and i was very happy. Im not any more! Every time i go to collect some,some escape. Now the house is full of cricket. They are noisy buggers. They Re so hard to manage.lol

I lost a few as well. What about grasshoppers? Can pacman frogs eat those? I think that theyd need to be tong fed, as grasshoppers bite. And katydids? I'm not sure if katydids are crickets or somthing else. The crickets I use are white colored, but the ones we used to have on our NH farm were jet black, very fat and made a lot of noise

Sublime

Have you guys seen that Samurai Japan Reptiles pacman food you roll into a ball with water? I have no clue what's in it though.

Samurai Japan Reptiles -Pacman Frog -

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information