Thread: Hi All! New Mother to 2 American Green Tree Frogs

MaggieMayhem82

Smile Hi All! New Mother to 2 American Green Tree Frogs

Hi everyone.

I am a new Mother of 2 American Green Tree Frogs(Or you can just call me Maggie) LoL.

I've always been fascinated by Frogs and Turtles.

I've done some research on my new friends,but was wondering if any of you have any additional information? I really want my little guys to live a long healthy life.

My main issue is lighting. I was told in the Pet Shop that they do not require much light at all. I have an Eclipse Natural Daylight on top of the screen. Is this enough for my friends? And also-do they require anything for heating?

Any information would be welcomed.

Thanks,and hope to make a few more friends(Of the Human variety)

hyla

Default Re: Hi All! New Mother to 2 American Green Tree Frogs

Welcome to the forum. I do not have experience w turtles but I.M.O all frogs benefit from some lighting. I have a daylight blue bulb for my gray tree frog which provides enough heat as well. Obviously they are different species, but I am sure someone on here specifically knows more about green tree frogs and can help you. If temperatures are cooler than recommended a lot of frogs tend to slow down and begin to go into a hibernation like phase. Mine did that for a few years. This is the first winter she has not due to the higher wattage bulb I have now that is keeping her tank at a good 75-78 degrees during the day.

bobbydiver

Hey Maggie, I do keep green tree frogs and others as well. I use a full spectrum light that is set on a 12 hour timer, when the light is off i have under tank heaters that kick on. I do this because i keep the temp in my house around 70 degrees and i keep the frogs habitat at 85 to 95 degrees in the day time with only a 5 to ten degree drop for the night. My frogs are nocternal and i am sure your are as well. Although they do move around some in the day time if i replinesh the crickets during that time, when I feed them they start stalking the crickets, it is an awesome thing to watch. I like to keep it very "tropical" in there. You can check out the pics I posted to see the habitat. I have been keeping frogs for only a few years the "correct" way. When I was younger I had all kinds of wild caught critters and a few store bought ones as well. I did not worry about things like temp and moisture and such what, needless to say my success was well, unsuccessful. I hope this helps and feel free to contact me anytime with comments or questions, and that goes for anyone who reads this.

MaggieMayhem82

Hi Kristy,and Bobby,

Thank you both for the great advice! I am going to look into more lighting/heat sources in the future. I have to wait til my next pay period,though.(Ugh. being broke stinks! lol)

My little babies seem to be doing pretty well with the Aquarium bulb I'm using. They like hide behind this big rock that use to be used as a decorative inside fountain(I cleaned it with distilled water to make sure everything was clean) during the day. I'm working on adding more green plants to the habitat.

They are sooo excited once the light goes off,though! They like to sit on their branches and wait for food. They have a great appetite,so I guess I'm doing something right.

I just always get nervous when adopting new "family member" Is this what "real" motherhood feels like? LOL.

I'm going to upload some pictures of my little ones(Which I've named Bubo and Boba) soon. I've been dealing with a pretty bad Sinus Infection,so I've not had the time.

Thanks again. I will post more in the future.

Thread Information