Thread: Mounting air plants- copper wire?

crazkt

Default Mounting air plants- copper wire?

I have some air plants that I want to mount to the background of my viv. I don't want to glue them in place because I want to be able to remove them to fertilize them without it harming my frogs (I have fire belly toads). Unless there is a fertilizer that works well on air plants and will not harm my frogs, what's the best way to mount them- and still be able to move them around easily?

My set up will be about 40% water, and 60% land.
    I plan to have other plants planted into the soil at the base of my background.
    My background is great stuff sealed with silicone. I have pressed peat moss, sphagnum moss and terrarium moss into the silicone.

I was thinking copper wire "staples" pushed into the background, but I'm not sure if copper will harm anything. I don't mind them oxidizing since they'll just turn green.

Does anyone have any experience with air plants? All ideas are welcome

~ally

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Mounting air plants- copper wire?

Ironically, I checked dendroboard before here today and answered you there (I'm johnc on dendroboard). What I said there was that I wouldn't use copper because it will oxidize (rust) and that the new compounds are toxic. I suggest you try wooden tooth picks to hold the plants in place on the background, or if you can tie onto something, try plastic zip ties.

Air plants can mean any epiphyte (bromeliads, tilandsias, and a ton of other tropical plants). Many of us here have experience with them. If you've more specific questions, please go ahead.

One last note - you can put holes in the background and push the air plants into them - they are usually quite tough.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

crazkt

Default Re: Mounting air plants- copper wire?

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Ironically, I checked dendroboard before here today and answered you there (I'm johnc on dendroboard). What I said there was that I wouldn't use copper because it will oxidize (rust) and that the new compounds are toxic. I suggest you try wooden tooth picks to hold the plants in place on the background, or if you can tie onto something, try plastic zip ties.

Air plants can mean any epiphyte (bromeliads, tilandsias, and a ton of other tropical plants). Many of us here have experience with them. If you've more specific questions, please go ahead.

One last note - you can put holes in the background and push the air plants into them - they are usually quite tough.
    They're tilandsias, I've got 5 of them coming from ebay (*grins* I do love ebay). I'll try the toothpick trick. Thank you!!

Thread Information