Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm new and having issues!

vivalabam

Default Re: I'm new and having issues!

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Looks to be a beautiful Pac. Yeah you have to watch wild caught Cornutas they tend to not adapt well to captivity. Really have to keep all stress to a minimum for sure. Atleast you don't have to open the containers. I believe the apple to be a different Cranwelli Morph that is man made.
    Yeah, I think it's been in captivity for a fair amount of time, so hopefully will be fine! Only 1 wall is facing the light, and I only open the tank once a day to mist, water and feed. Seems to be doing ok so far!

Yeah the guy said something about that! I just think aww cute froggles! Then end up buying them. :P Although I'm done now until I move back home, and like you say buy everything I need. My situation isn't ideal with only 2 thermometers and plastic tanks, but I haven't got a lot of money what with being a student! I want to get them all pretty exo terras. ^_^ The japanese apple and surinam are in one at the moment, with all the equipment, the other three are in poundland tanks! :P

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by vivalabam View Post
    Yeah, I think it's been in captivity for a fair amount of time, so hopefully will be fine! Only 1 wall is facing the light, and I only open the tank once a day to mist, water and feed. Seems to be doing ok so far!

Yeah the guy said something about that! I just think aww cute froggles! Then end up buying them. :P Although I'm done now until I move back home, and like you say buy everything I need. My situation isn't ideal with only 2 thermometers and plastic tanks, but I haven't got a lot of money what with being a student! I want to get them all pretty exo terras. ^_^ The japanese apple and surinam are in one at the moment, with all the equipment, the other three are in poundland tanks! :P
    I know how it is with money. The nice tanks and equipment are expensive I myself want the large wide Exo-Terra tanks also. Do you have a divider between them?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

How about those new extra tall or extra wide Exo-Terras. They are huge. I'd be afraid to cart one home and have the thing crack on the ride with all the potholes on the roads now a days :-)
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

oddball

Im have concerns with my Pacman Marvin, i bought two large mice to get started and was fed when i picked him up, ive had him two weeks and still he dosen't even look interested in eating I tried feeding him last night but again he ignored it tried for 20mins dangling above his nose but no joy
    I found him in his bowl this morning shedding a skin and he seems a little more lively but has reburied himself in the substrate
    His temp and humidity are 74.8 at the coolest end of the heat matt and 80% Humidity I did go back to the shop last week to say he wasnt interested in eating and said maybe should i buy some crickets or locust and they said he could just be getting used to his new surroundings but now another weeks gone by and im worried hes not going to eat and starve any ideas? Haydn

vivalabam

I know how it is with money. The nice tanks and equipment are expensive I myself want the large wide Exo-Terra tanks also. Do you have a divider between them?
    They are all in individual tanks, I don't trust dividers enough. Got 2 12x12 exo terras, came with the 2 frogs. ^_^ As soon as I get a job that will be the first thing I'll be buying! Well... Maybe after some clothes. :P

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    Im have concerns with my Pacman Marvin, i bought two large mice to get started and was fed when i picked him up, ive had him two weeks and still he dosen't even look interested in eating I tried feeding him last night but again he ignored it tried for 20mins dangling above his nose but no joy
    I found him in his bowl this morning shedding a skin and he seems a little more lively but has reburied himself in the substrate
    His temp and humidity are 74.8 at the coolest end of the heat matt and 80% Humidity I did go back to the shop last week to say he wasnt interested in eating and said maybe should i buy some crickets or locust and they said he could just be getting used to his new surroundings but now another weeks gone by and im worried hes not going to eat and starve any ideas? Haydn
    Ok, a few things: First, are you using de-chlorinated water? Read the Pacman Care Sheet under the Care Articles section. It is full of vital information!

Second, how large is your frog? The general rule is to not feed mice to frogs under 2 inches long and then it is best to start out with pinkies. You said he ate a large mouse?? Are they live mice or frozen? If he did eat a mouse, he could still be digesting it. Mammalian proteins are harder for them to digest. Feeding too many mice can cause impaction. They are also very fatty and can lead to obesity and blindness. Most people recommend using mice only as a treat, once a month at most. However, if your frog hasn't eaten anything in two weeks then you should definitely be concerned. They do often take time to get used to their surroundings but usually only 2-3 days. You need to offer other food as a staple diet: crickets, nightcrawlers, and locusts. Make sure there isn't anything stressing him out. Incorrect set-up, too much light or noise, too many visual distractions, too much handling can all cause them to become stressed and stop eating.

Third, the temp should be warmer, 80-85 during the day. Can we have some more details about his set-up? What size tank is he in? What substrate are you using? Heat source?

Finally, not to seem nit-picky, but it is always best to start a new thread. It makes it easier to answer people's questions. Welcome to the forum!

Nationality
    [United States]

Right ok, that's good then, I'm not keen on the idea of feeding mice. None of mine have ever been fed on mice, it's just different inverts! I'll order some of the huge worms today then, try and get her feeding on those, I hope they wiggle!

I don't think it has got to the force feeding stage, I mean she is eating, around 1-2 crickets a night. Then some days she won't touch food, then she will be back to eating. It's not a massive amount, but it's better than when she didn't eat for about 3 weeks, then I got her on wax worms, then she started eating no problem, then I stopped, now she is eating the odd cricket. The main problem is she isn't growing. :P

She hasn't ever had a meal worm, she wasn't interested.

I do use de-chlorinated water, always have.

She hasn't gone in her water bowl for a very long time, weird as she always used to, I may change it back to the old one, same kind of depth, but this one is a little smaller and less weird shaped.

Ah ok will do thanks!

I do indeed. I don't plan on force feeding, the idea is just horrible to me.

Yeah mine hasn't pooped in a long time, not sure if that has anything to do with it. Although she is still eating so maybe not, I put a light on her the other day to find a cricket hanging from her mouth, so very cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    How about those new extra tall or extra wide Exo-Terras. They are huge. I'd be afraid to cart one home and have the thing crack on the ride with all the potholes on the roads now a days :-)
    Yeah Don I think those are really nice terrariums. I think Grif would love the tank and the room. Those styles of tanks usually hold heat and humidity really well. They have so much space. Id love to do live plant setups for my pacmans.

dsmalex97

Have you tried not tong feeding the little guy? I know my pyxie absolutely hates being tong fed. She has to do everything herself lol

I would also really not allow any temps in the tank dip below 78. My tanks are at 80 all the time, 74 is a bit low for these guys.

vivalabam

Temps are around the 78 mark now, over 80 during the day.

Princess is stressing me out, I tried to feed her a chunk of lob worm and she just wasn't interested, left her to it, dangled it in her face, tried to force it in her mouth, nothing! King wasn't interested either, but he did eat about 5 crickets last night, so I'll let him off! Princess does seem to have eaten a couple of crickets and maybe a locust, they climb so I never know if it's been eaten or escaped...

The three big ones munched on a whole lob worm, fatties. :P

Nationality
    [United States]

Temps are around the 78 mark now, over 80 during the day.

Princess is stressing me out, I tried to feed her a chunk of lob worm and she just wasn't interested, left her to it, dangled it in her face, tried to force it in her mouth, nothing! King wasn't interested either, but he did eat about 5 crickets last night, so I'll let him off! Princess does seem to have eaten a couple of crickets and maybe a locust, they climb so I never know if it's been eaten or escaped...

The three big ones munched on a whole lob worm, fatties. :P
    How did you try to force feed? The way to perform this is by using a credit card/shopper card/or plastic spoon to gently pry open the mouth and place a food item in her mouth and let her do the rest. This does stress them out though, but it is better than letting the frog starve to death. It takes a few tries so be pacient and try not to stress as they can sence your stress and it will make the frog stress more. Be gentle and careful. It is best done with 2 people as it is hard to hold the frog and force feed at the same time so someone to hold the frog while you try to force feed makes it easier. Make sure you're doing it on a low area like on the floore on moist paper towels. Be sure to wash you hands thoroughly and rince well with the your frogs de-chlorinated water. Keep us posted. Any questions just ask.

vivalabam

How did you try to force feed? The way to perform this is by using a credit card/shopper card/or plastic spoon to gently pry open the mouth and place a food item in her mouth and let her do the rest. This does stress them out though, but it is better than letting the frog starve to death. It takes a few tries so be pacient and try not to stress as they can sence your stress and it will make the frog stress more. Be gentle and careful. It is best done with 2 people as it is hard to hold the frog and force feed at the same time so someone to hold the frog while you try to force feed makes it easier. Make sure you're doing it on a low area like on the floore on moist paper towels. Be sure to wash you hands thoroughly and rince well with the your frogs de-chlorinated water. Keep us posted. Any questions just ask.
    No I meant put it right in her face and rubbed her mouth with it. she is still eating, very little but eating, so I don't want to get to the actual force feeding stage just yet.

Nationality
    [United States]

No I meant put it right in her face and rubbed her mouth with it. she is still eating, very little but eating, so I don't want to get to the actual force feeding stage just yet.
    That's very good. If she chomped it on her own from rubbing it on her face then you shoul be ok as long as she keeps eating. You could try to soak her in some luke warm dechlorinated water to see if she actually has to poop. It is good for them to soak and though handling does stress them if she is having trouble pooping this will help.

vivalabam

That's very good. If she chomped it on her own from rubbing it on her face then you shoul be ok as long as she keeps eating. You could try to soak her in some luke warm dechlorinated water to see if she actually has to poop. It is good for them to soak and though handling does stress them if she is having trouble pooping this will help.
    I think we've got confused lol. She didn't eat the worm, but she did eat a cricket or two the other day. Tomorrow I'm going to take the heat mat off Prince and put it on her, see if that helps at all. Prince should be ok being next to one, I swear if I put that frog in the fridge he would still eat! :P

Nationality
    [United States]

I think we've got confused lol. She didn't eat the worm, but she did eat a cricket or two the other day. Tomorrow I'm going to take the heat mat off Prince and put it on her, see if that helps at all. Prince should be ok being next to one, I swear if I put that frog in the fridge he would still eat! :P
    Prince sounds really healthy. Only problem with temps being too cool and the frog still eating is that they can't properly digest and metabolize their food and that really causes problems. Health issues big time. I feel you have a lot to buy here in the near future. They all have to have their own heat pad as well. They always need a constant source of heat and I mean always. You said you have a light on Princess right? What kind?

vivalabam

No I don't have any lights, they wouldn't fit on my shelf! I do have enough heat mats for them all, but I figured they would get too hot what with all being next to each other. I don't have another thermostat, so I can put a heat mat on Prince that will just be at lower heat. If everything goes to plan I should have a bit of money soon, I've been breeding mantids! :P

Nationality
    [United States]

No I don't have any lights, they wouldn't fit on my shelf! I do have enough heat mats for them all, but I figured they would get too hot what with all being next to each other. I don't have another thermostat, so I can put a heat mat on Prince that will just be at lower heat. If everything goes to plan I should have a bit of money soon, I've been breeding mantids! :P
    Nice. I hope everything goes to plan and Mantids are awesome insects. I always love finding them.

vivalabam

Nice. I hope everything goes to plan and Mantids are awesome insects. I always love finding them.
    I think tomorrow I'm going to look for a better tank, and put her next to me, not that I think it will make a difference, she was still funny when she had all the equipment and everything. I think she is just a strange frog, all of my others seem perfectly fine, just her. >_< That's the reason I got Prince, she wasn't being a normal pacman frog, then I got him and all my greedy frog dreams came true. :P

Yeah, recently bred orchids, flowers and congos, so as long as i can shift them I can hopefully get a bit of frog equipment cash!

Nationality
    [United States]

I think tomorrow I'm going to look for a better tank, and put her next to me, not that I think it will make a difference, she was still funny when she had all the equipment and everything. I think she is just a strange frog, all of my others seem perfectly fine, just her. >_< That's the reason I got Prince, she wasn't being a normal pacman frog, then I got him and all my greedy frog dreams came true. :P

Yeah, recently bred orchids, flowers and congos, so as long as i can shift them I can hopefully get a bit of frog equipment cash!
    Not one of these frogs habits and personalities are the same. You should love her for the way she is. She just needs a little extra care than the others that's all. Hopefully she'll come around and begin to eat more. She's a very nice looking albino even if she is fun sized Lol!

vivalabam

Not one of these frogs habits and personalities are the same. You should love her for the way she is. She just needs a little extra care than the others that's all. Hopefully she'll come around and begin to eat more. She's a very nice looking albino even if she is fun sized Lol!
    LOL! Fun sized frog. :P Yeah I do, I'd be heartbroken if she died. It's just a nightmare trying to get her to eat, and she is such a worry all of the time. I realised today she isn't stupid, we have maggots for the mantids, I gave her one thinking she may mistake it for a wax worm and eat, she didn't, clever little beast! I know maggots have nothing in them, but I thought it might provoke the feeding response.

Nationality
    [United States]

LOL! Fun sized frog. :P Yeah I do, I'd be heartbroken if she died. It's just a nightmare trying to get her to eat, and she is such a worry all of the time. I realised today she isn't stupid, we have maggots for the mantids, I gave her one thinking she may mistake it for a wax worm and eat, she didn't, clever little beast! I know maggots have nothing in them, but I thought it might provoke the feeding response.
    She probably has a small stomach from being stunted. Maybe she can only eat so much. As long as when she does eat she gets vitamins and calcium she will probably be fine. Try not to show a lot of stress or frustration. Animals can pick up on that and sence it. Don't want her to get more strdssed than she is already. Hopefully she's perfectly healthy and just isn't a heavy eater.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information