Thread: "Frog moss"?

rosaphile

Default "Frog moss"?

Saw this at Petsmart today and it looked cool but I wasn't sure if it would be safe for WTF. It is these sort of hard saucer-shaped things in a plastic bag. The moss looks very fine-textured and low-growing but then it is dormant so I wasn't sure if it would change once it's growing in the terrarium. Thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: "Frog moss"?

Hi Lori
    Not sure about that moss but I used some tropical moss found at most florist shops, also called Christmas Tree Moss, and it was fine but I didn't have any luck keeping it alive for long periods.

I'm more a fan of larger leaf liter such as Sea Grape or Magnolia leaves since they are large and not easily swallowed by a WTF. They also keep the dirt/substrate off the frogs.

If your going more for moss type bottom, I would just make sure its not something easily swallowed like sphagnum moss is and you have ample daytime lighting to help it along.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

rosaphile

Thanks, Don. I am leaning towards the leaf litter but thought a couple of mossy hillocks might be fun. Maybe I will give this a try.

Kay

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    Hi Lori
    Not sure about that moss but I used some tropical moss found at most florist shops, also called Christmas Tree Moss, and it was fine but I didn't have any luck keeping it alive for long periods.

I'm more a fan of larger leaf liter such as Sea Grape or Magnolia leaves since they are large and not easily swallowed by a WTF. They also keep the dirt/substrate off the frogs.

If your going more for moss type bottom, I would just make sure its not something easily swallowed like sphagnum moss is and you have ample daytime lighting to help it along.
    Are you talking about just regular Magnolia tree leaves? The trees with the big white flowers? Maybe ours are bigger down here, but one leaf is almost as big as the bottom of my tank!

rosaphile

Wow, that's big! We have a magnolia right off our front porch. The leaves are about 4-6 inches. I may try using them in our frog habitat, but not until I do some more Googling to satisfy my safety paranoia.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

LOL, I get mine from Joshs Frogs and the are anywhere from 4 inch to 7 inch in length.

Kay

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    LOL, I get mine from Joshs Frogs and the are anywhere from 4 inch to 7 inch in length.
    Can you use leaves that have just fallen off trees? I could go into the woods and find a small Magnolia tree and get smaller leaves. Does Joshs Frogs do something to their leaves? I am going to order some small Bromeliads from them . . . and a RETF sometime soon . . . .

Pixidust

I have WTF, i was using sphagnum, and coco fiber, when they were in temp housing. Then found the threads and watched my frogs and stopped using that. then i went to frog moss, that was pretty much the same, however i have had good luck with "Terrarium moss" It is the same green box as the "Frog moss" they sell at pet stores but it grows much lower and has little to no shag to it, so when they dive bomb and miss they don't get it in their mouth's. I use big river rocks around the moss so the frogs will jump on the rock first, then get the cricket off the moss right next to him, instead of diving for the food from the top. I wouldnt have thought frogs like rocks, but mine seem to love sitting on them, or washing themselves on them from under the waterfall. hope that helps.

rosaphile

Thanks, that does help! I found the stuff I saw at Petsmart online:
    T-Rex Frog Moss - T-Rex Forest Accents | Josh's Frogs

Is that what you use? I thought it looked a lot less "shaggy" than the sphagnum moss.

I will definitely try some rocks in there too, thanks for the suggestion!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yes you can use collected Magnolia leaves and you just have to boil them before use.

Thread Information