Thread: HELP I think my green frog is sick

camillerose

Default HELP I think my green frog is sick

ive searched the internet and cant find out why my tree frog is sick.i have a dumpy frog and this frog which is suppose to be a dumpy, a whites tree frog or something? but clearly isnt. hes always been thinner than her,and green but now hes always brown and verrry thin while shes fat happy and blue.i cant figure out why now hes not ever happy and green anymore. not much has changed. please help please

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Badger

Default Re: HELP I think my green frog is sick

Has the frog lost weight? Any pictures? Has it been eating/has it been defacating? Temp/humidity? Pics of the frog/enclosure would help a lot.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

To assist you it would be best to post pics of both the frog and its enclosure.

Also information such as the tanks humidity and temperature, type of water used, and any changes that have occurred to the tank or the frogs eating and movement habits would be helpful.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

camillerose

okay i got all of what youve asked for. its temp is between 75-85 usually and i try to keep the humitidy up between 50-60. sometimes it gets down to 30 . i had to get a new blub mine broke its like a 50 wt white light. i notice it doesnt get as hot as it was before. i use tap water like always i feed crickets but i hardly ever saw him eat even before, hes not one to hunt its weird. so i was feeding him in tuberware to make it easier for him. Name:  0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  33.6 KBName:  2010-222.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  91.0 KB

Badger

The temps/humidity/ enclosure look great, but the frog is severely underweight. How many crickets do you feed? Getting the frog checked out by a vet ASAP is needed. I suspect parasite(s).

camillerose

i honestly put 6 - 10 crickets or so in there then a few days later i put more if it looks bare, i know i feed them alot the dumpy is nice and chubby she hunts and eats just fine. but hes never been one to hunt really and hes slower.. ive had him sitting out with me for an hour now and his color is back but youre right he is so skinny im scared.. its like he doesnt eat at all anymore and hes very dry even though i mist and he goes in the water bowl..and his skin peels ALOT. and its hard for him to get it all off..what does that mean? could it be the light isnt right?

Badger

Amphibians generally do not require any special lighting. Like I said, I would get it looked at by a vet tonight, if not tomorrow. I can't explain the skin condition, sorry When was he last fed? He may require force feeding, though this is stressful to both you and the frog, so it is a last resort.

camillerose

one more thing. is he a dumpy frog? or what.. hes always looked different than her. even though i told the petstore that i want 2 dumpys they gave me him and her, he looks like a regular tree frog

camillerose

theres crickets there for him to eat whenever he wants he just doesnt take any. , how would i force feed him? he feels really cold

Badger

I am 99% positive he is a White's.

camillerose

is that just a regular tree frog?i have him in a tuberwear with 3 crickets but hes not doing much

Badger

White's tree frog is another common name for dumpy tree frogs, smiling tree frogs, and in Australia they call them green tree frogs. I would quarantine him in a separate enclosure until you can get him to a Vet.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Dalton is right here as to you needing to get that frog to a herp vet asap. He is way under weight and needs fast attention.

Your viv looks nice and temps at night around 70 are fine for a Whites and 80 for day temp is good. Just make sure your tap water is always treated so its declorinated.

I would keep your frog separate in a container with a damp paper towel and some leafs for holding moisture and giving him a place to hide and hopefully reduce some stress. Make sure the paper towel stays damp while he is in the separate container. If you can get him to soak for a little while with room temp water it may at least get some fluids into him since he'll absorb the water.

You may also want to try the following: info pulled from another post
    "What I would try first is to give your frog a bath of honey or electrolyte water. These can give a lethargic frog a little boost. For the honey heat a bath of water to 80 degrees, melt a few drops of honey (there is no exact measurement for this, just a drop of honey per ounce of water) and let the water cool a little before bathing your frog. For the electrolytes, lots of people use unflavored pedialite (which is what I use). Stay away from the flavored stuff, no telling what that has in it. Unflavored pedialite looks like water and has barely any taste. Drop this in warm water (mid-70s or room temp) at a 10/1 ratio (10 water, 1 pedialite, so like...10 ounces of water, one ounce of pedialite) and mix it in, then give the frog a bath for 10-20 minutes to let it soak in the nutrients."

And here is some information from the Frog First Aid section here on the Frog Forum:
    Symptoms: Doesn't eat, loses weight, is listless, has lumps or other irregularities on the skin. Cause: Bacterial infections.
    Treatment: Treat with ENROFLOXACIN (BAYTRIL) Put 8 drops in 125ml Tepid water. Put a lid on the bowl and make sure the frogs’ head stays above the water. Duration: 15 min. each day for 6 days.

camillerose

thank you both!
    i will be trying these things tonight.
    hes got a few new surface spots. it does look like the bacterial infection. im so worried now.
    where can i find baytril?!
    you are such a great help

camillerose

ive been reading online for this for 4 hours now and i came across some fish products i coul duse to treast infections external and interal, do you think its safe..? i dont see why it wouldnt be because baytril is actually used alot for dogs when theyre sick.

Badger

You may be able to find it at a local pet store, but more likely your vet. I would take it to a vet before treating it yourself, just to get a proper diagnosis and possibly stronger meds.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I don't believe they are the same thing. I tried to find where the above products contained BAYTRIL and couldn't. I would hit the vet and try for the drops version since the tablets would be a pain to disolve.

Thread Information