Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick Red Eyed Tree Frog?

kimmy

Default Sick Red Eyed Tree Frog?

My boyfriend bought me 2 red eyed tree frogs for my birthday last week, he had them in his house for a month and when we transferred them to my house one died from stress.
    They're about 6 months old and I noticed that the one that's left has a dark coloration on his belly near to his legs and arms.
    I'm not sure if this is supposed to be this colour or not as I've never kept these before.
    My tank is 12"x12"x18"
    I have a heat pad on the outside of the tank, there are fake leaves, a shallow water dish that I change every day with bottled water, and a sheet of tissue as substrate that I change every other day.
    I feed him 12-15 1st black crickets every night.

Sorry about the poor quality photo ...
    That's the best I can get without disturbing him

I'm really concerned about my baby ....Name:  DSCF4385.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  49.6 KBName:  frog crop.JPG
Views: 352
Size:  42.1 KBName:  DSCF4393.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  65.0 KBName:  DSCF4395.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  63.5 KB
    Last edited by kimmy; October 28th, 2011 at 06:58 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Badger

Default Re: Sick Red Eyed Tree Frog?

Not sure about the dark coloration, but you are overfeeding him. Growing RETFs only eat 2-3 crickets a night. Adults 2-3 crickets 2-3 times a week. He may have trouble digesting that much food. What's your temp and humidity?

Badger

Also do you use any calcium/vitamin supplements?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The picture is tough to see. Can you take a lighter one and I'll see if I can tell what's wrong. How big is the frog in length? His belly is bloated. Is he pooping for you?

How 'bout take a picture of his home and of him. Give us an idea of the temp and humidity.

There is an article here on care for red eyed tree frogs. It's a good article and helped me quite a bit when I hot mine. Start there. Then send us some pictures and information and we'll try and help.

I'll be waiting to hear back.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

kimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Not sure about the dark coloration, but you are overfeeding him. Growing RETFs only eat 2-3 crickets a night. Adults 2-3 crickets 2-3 times a week. He may have trouble digesting that much food. What's your temp and humidity?
    I have ordered a temp and humidity gauge for the tank and it hasn't arrived yet .. I try not to spray the tank too much because I don't want it too damp ...
    I have a calcium supplement that I put on the crickets every second feed .. It's called Nutrobal

kimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    The picture is tough to see. Can you take a lighter one and I'll see if I can tell what's wrong. How big is the frog in length? His belly is bloated. Is he pooping for you?

How 'bout take a picture of his home and of him. Give us an idea of the temp and humidity.

There is an article here on care for red eyed tree frogs. It's a good article and helped me quite a bit when I hot mine. Start there. Then send us some pictures and information and we'll try and help.

I'll be waiting to hear back.
    I don't want to disturb him too much so that's the brightest picture I could get for now ... He's about an an inch to an inch and a half in length ... I haven't noticed much poo in the tank, there was a small bit on the side today .. Do you think he could be constipated and how do I fix that?

Thanks for the reply

Badger

It sounds like it could be dropsy, but I'm no vet.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Well, generally it's hard to actually overfeed red eyes, since they regulate themselves in their food intake. They very rarely get obese.

Quote Originally Posted by kimmy View Post
    I have ordered a temp and humidity gauge for the tank and it hasn't arrived yet .. I try not to spray the tank too much because I don't want it too damp ...
    It's not really want you want, but what the frog wants. Be sure to keep it moist, since the are from the rain forest of central America. Good thing you ordered the hygrometer, it'll make it easy to adjust accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by kimmy View Post
    I have a calcium supplement that I put on the crickets every second feed .. It's called Nutrobal
    I'm not familiar with this supplement, but it seems like it contains both calcium and D3 (according to some good ol' googling), which is the two important ingredients. However, it seem to be made for tortoises, so I don't know if it contains anything unhealthy for the frogs, as I'm not so good at these kind of things. Someone else will have to confirm or deny that.

EDIT: You also really want more hiding space for the frog. Stress is a real health-killer when it comes to frogs, and red eyes are not the most stress-tolerant species. They basically want to feel safe, and they do that when they are amongst trees/leaves/etc. Remember that they also travel by climbing from branch to branch (or leave to leave, you get the point), so if you want it to be able to "walk around", you need more climbing space.

Nationality
    [United States]

If he is pooping I'd just cut him back to one cricket a day until his belly shrinks a bit. It should only take a day. Then go to 2 to 3 a day. He's still little. Mine is 1 1/2 inches. I still buy him little bitty crickets (1/4") and let him have 5 a night bc they are tiny and soft, easy to digest. He doesn't always eat them all, but he poops daily and is growing steadily. I gave him 2 small 1/2" crickets this week and he did well. Just watch his belly. He shouldn't look sunken in on the sides, just nicely full. I'll send you some pictures of mine when they wake up this evening.

Retf's look slender when they stretch out and pleasantly full when they curl up to sleep.

They don't soak much. They prefer to absorb through misting. I keep my tank humidity between 70-80 %, and my heat around 76-78. There is both a waterfall in mine and I still mist 2x/day if no heat lamp on, and 3x/day when the infared lamp is on.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

kimmy

[/QUOTE] I'm not familiar with this supplement, but it seems like it contains both calcium and D3 (according to some good ol' googling), which is the two important ingredients. However, it seem to be made for tortoises, so I don't know if it contains anything unhealthy for the frogs, as I'm not so good at these kind of things. Someone else will have to confirm or deny that.
    Thanks , do you know if there is any supplement specifically for the red eyed tree frogs?

EDIT: You also really want more hiding space for the frog. Stress is a real health-killer when it comes to frogs, and red eyes are not the most stress-tolerant species. They basically want to feel safe, and they do that when they are amongst trees/leaves/etc. Remember that they also travel by climbing from branch to branch (or leave to leave, you get the point), so if you want it to be able to "walk around", you need more climbing space.[/QUOTE]

I'm getting more leaves and another vine over the weekend

kimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    If he is pooping I'd just cut him back to one cricket a day until his belly shrinks a bit. It should only take a day. Then go to 2 to 3 a day. He's still little. Mine is 1 1/2 inches. I still buy him little bitty crickets (1/4") and let him have 5 a night bc they are tiny and soft, easy to digest. He doesn't always eat them all, but he poops daily and is growing steadily. I gave him 2 small 1/2" crickets this week and he did well. Just watch his belly. He shouldn't look sunken in on the sides, just nicely full. I'll send you some pictures of mine when they wake up this evening.

Retf's look slender when they stretch out and pleasantly full when they curl up to sleep.

They don't soak much. They prefer to absorb through misting. I keep my tank humidity between 70-80 %, and my heat around 76-78. There is both a waterfall in mine and I still mist 2x/day if no heat lamp on, and 3x/day when the infared lamp is on.
    Thanks for the help, I'll keep an eye on how he's pooing and his belly

kimmy

Is he too young to put orchid bark, cocoa soil and sphagnum moss as a substrate?

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmy
    Thanks , do you know if there is any supplement specifically for the red eyed tree frogs?
    I don't know if there's anything made especially for tree frogs, but Zoo med have a good calcium/D3 supplement. Repashy also makes a good calcium/d3, which is called Repashy SuperCal (I think...). However, I'm not saying that Nutrobal is bad. I'm just saying that it might be less than optimal since it's designed for tortoises, which are omnivores.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmy
    I'm getting more leaves and another vine over the weekend
    Good! It can't be stressed enough how important it is to have a proper setup. When keeping red eyes, I would say that 90% (of course, it's just a number that really doesn't mean anything, since I can't actually prove anything scientifically) of the frogs well-being is having a good terrarium. If you want some inspiration, have a look at some of our members tanks. I would recommend Bshmerlie (Cheri) or DonLisk, for example.

kimmy

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJr View Post
    I don't know if there's anything made especially for tree frogs, but Zoo med have a good calcium/D3 supplement. Repashy also makes a good calcium/d3, which is called Repashy SuperCal (I think...). However, I'm not saying that Nutrobal is bad. I'm just saying that it might be less than optimal since it's designed for tortoises, which are omnivores.
    Thanks , I'll check those out, I want the best for my little guy

Good! It can't be stressed enough how important it is to have a proper setup. When keeping red eyes, I would say that 90% (of course, it's just a number that really doesn't mean anything, since I can't actually prove anything scientifically) of the frogs well-being is having a good terrarium. If you want some inspiration, have a look at some of our members tanks. I would recommend Bshmerlie (Cheri) or DonLisk, for example.
    I was told to wait at least a month before putting in too much and he's been out of the shop over a month now so do you think he's still too young to use orchid bark, cocoa soil and sphagnum moss as a substrate?

Badger

All mixed together or layers or seperate? Sphagnum is generally bad for froggies because it can cause impaction, as well as orchid bark. Mixed together or layers I think would work fine though. Sphagnum and coco fiber are great humidity retainers

kimmy

All mixed together or layers or seperate? Sphagnum is generally bad for froggies because it can cause impaction, as well as orchid bark. Mixed together or layers I think would work fine though. Sphagnum and coco fiber are great humidity retainers
    I'll probably go with layers and give the frog places to his and more places to climb Thanks

Nationality
    [United States]

Kimmy,

What is your frog's name?

The photos that are posted at the start of this thread (at the bottom) look very dry to me. Don't let that paper dry out!
    Like Heather says, they like to soak down here. When using paper they flatten their bellies on the bottom to soak up water and get re-hydrated.
    I would get a real thick layer of paper( towels )in the bottom and dampen it really well ( sopping wet !) with spring water ( bottled water).
    Misting is okay as well- 2-3 times a day. Don't spray directly on your frog. Spray with distilled water ( which will not stain the glass of the enclosure)
    I would not worry about putting too many crickets in the enclosure at night if there is paper on the bottom.
    Extra crickets are better for now while he is little and / or stressed. Make dinner an "easy catch"
    Fee him well. The white bottom makes it easy for you to monitor the food intake for now-and to see what has been eaten by the next morning.
    Remove the uneaten crickets and replace with more each night. If he is little- he needs to eat every night.
    Keep a very shallow saucer in the enclosure filled w/ bottled water (1/2 inch or less) ( change it daily )

Don't touch your frog unless it is absolutely necessary. ( if needed wash and rinse your hands well)
    You might cover three sides of the enclosure - the frog would feel safer.
    Keep the frog in complete darkeness at night.
    Develop a day/night cycle for him.

Don't add another red eyed tree frog into the enclosure for at least 6 weeks- or longer.

temps
    daytime --78 - 82 F
    night time --71-75 F
    humidity 70-80 %

Let us Know !!
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

I have my baby still In her quarantine tank until she gets closer to the size of my adult. This is Bubbles. She is 1 1/2".

My adult female lives in a terrarium. The vivariums that others have made here are better and more like their natural homes. Mine is not done yet. Friends here helped guide me too when I first joined the forum. This is Stickers.

kimmy

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    Kimmy,

What is your frog's name?

The photos that are posted at the start of this thread (at the bottom) look very dry to me. Don't let that paper dry out!
    Like Heather says, they like to soak down here. When using paper they flatten their bellies on the bottom to soak up water and get re-hydrated.
    I would get a real thick layer of paper( towels )in the bottom and dampen it really well ( sopping wet !) with spring water ( bottled water).
    Misting is okay as well- 2-3 times a day. Don't spray directly on your frog. Spray with distilled water ( which will not stain the glass of the enclosure)
    I would not worry about putting too many crickets in the enclosure at night if there is paper on the bottom.
    Extra crickets are better for now while he is little and / or stressed. Make dinner an "easy catch"
    Fee him well. The white bottom makes it easy for you to monitor the food intake for now-and to see what has been eaten by the next morning.
    Remove the uneaten crickets and replace with more each night. If he is little- he needs to eat every night.
    Keep a very shallow saucer in the enclosure filled w/ bottled water (1/2 inch or less) ( change it daily )

Don't touch your frog unless it is absolutely necessary. ( if needed wash and rinse your hands well)
    You might cover three sides of the enclosure - the frog would feel safer.
    Keep the frog in complete darkeness at night.
    Develop a day/night cycle for him.

Don't add another red eyed tree frog into the enclosure for at least 6 weeks- or longer.

temps
    daytime --78 - 82 F
    night time --71-75 F
    humidity 70-80 %

Let us Know !!
    Hi Lynn ,
    I haven't decided on a name yet but I'll let you know when I do

I bought really thick kitchen towels today and this morning when I cleaned him out I put three layers in and soaked it really well .. I'm going to start using new substrate in about a week or so ...

I have the two sides covered with black paper so he feels safer ... I've just bought a 13watt bulb for the tank which I'll put on tomorrow and I'm going to buy a timer too so I can have timed day/night cycle ..

Thanks for the help

kimmy

Has anybody seen this type of dark colouration under the legs, arms and side of belly before on a red eyed tree frog .. You can see it in the pictures I've put up, it's noticable when he's pressed up against the glass .. I haven't come across any pictures on line of this dark colour before but that's not to say it's uncommon ... If anybody thinks this looks unusual please let me know because I'm very worried about my new baby ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information