Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What can I keep in a 50 gallon fish tank?

artes

Default Re: What can I keep in a 50 gallon fish tank?

You would use crickets that around around 1/2 inch long for FBTs. For your other questions, as I am a reptile and amphibian pet keeper, here is a quick rundown:

FBTs- one of the best frogs for beginners. Very easy to care for, quite cute, and very active. Set up several little hides and climbing things for them, and they'll amuse you for hours. Make sure your filter has the top covered, otherwise they'll sit in the filter and irritate you. /glares at hers

Bearded dragons - one of the best. lizards. ever. Seriously. They actually enjoy handling, they interact with you (if they puff their beard out at you, puff out your cheeks. you can also headbob along with them and wave). Relatively easy to keep - just make sure you have a UVA/UVB bulb (ReptiSun 10.0), and a basking bulb. Do not use sand if you start with a baby - use tile or paper towel.

Leopard geckos - also a great lizard for beginners, but they are nocturnal. They can be active during the day, but only if you're moving around a lot in front of their tank - they're curious as to what the heck you're doing. Again, if you start with a baby, tile or paper towels. No sand. Ever.

White's tree frogs - great frog for beginners, but nocturnal. My Froggie actually enjoys handling, and I take him out for fun times occasionally. Chance does not, so it is frog dependent. If you are handling your frogs, wash your hands carefully with a glycerin (or other natural based soap) before handling. The soap is gentle enough that any residue that you might accidentally leave behind won't bother them.

Pacman frogs - I LOVE them, but 1 in a 50 gallon is a bit excessive. If he would use the space, that would be one thing, but he totally would not. If you want one, just pick up a 10 gallon for him.

Blue-tongue skink - I disagree that they're not for beginners. Just don't tick it off, and understand if it bites you, it might hurt. Care is similar to what I mentioned for bearded dragons, though some people use eco-earth instead of tile. That's up to you. They do need a bit more humidity than dragons, which makes tile a bit more irritating in that case, but you can always use a bigger water bowl and spray the sides randomly.

I've never kept a ball python, I've only read about their care, so I left them out since I can't speak from experience.

If you have any questions about something I didn't cover, or just want more details, don't hesitate to ask.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DJMonty

Thanks, Artes.

I'm really not sure what I'm going to keep in this tank. Axolotls, probably. But when I get my vivarium, I'll probably be getting a Bearded Dragon. But I may go down to the LFS soon and buy a small tank for a Pacman frog.

artes

Quote Originally Posted by DJMonty View Post
    Thanks, Artes.

I'm really not sure what I'm going to keep in this tank. Axolotls, probably. But when I get my vivarium, I'll probably be getting a Bearded Dragon. But I may go down to the LFS soon and buy a small tank for a Pacman frog.
    Watch out, reptiles and amphibians can get addicting. Soon, you won't have a place to put your bed!

OMG those axolotls are so cute! I wonder if I can get them around here... I mean, no husband, I'm not planning another tank AT ALL.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information