Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What can I keep in a 50 gallon fish tank?

Badger

Default Re: What can I keep in a 50 gallon fish tank?

Your tank would also be good for a ball python, my favorite snake. They can be expensive or cheap. some are 15 USD, some are 1200. I would love to see a ball python step by step! I can't convince my parents to let me get one though lol. Good luck!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DJMonty

I'd LOVE to have a ball python, they look really cool! I'll add it to the list of species I need to research.

Badger

Please pick the python, enjoy them where I cannot lol. Lucky you >.< there are lot's of caresheets for them, just google it. or let me do it for you: Let me google that for you

DJMonty

I've just gone downstairs to tell my mother what I'll be doing with the tank (she thought I was stocking shrimp), and she's decided I can't have snakes or frogs. Guess I'll have to stick with reptiles or amphibians in general.

Badger

Ouch. Hate when that happens. Tell her tha FBT's aren't frogs, they're toads!

DJMonty

She told me they're the same thing and to stop being pedantic

What else is it possible for me to stock, not including frogs/toads or snakes?

Badger

Green iguana, anoles, bearded dragon, tiger salamander, there's lots.

DJMonty

Are all of those species you just stated suitable for beginners? I've never kept reptiles before.

Badger

Yeah, Tiger salamanders are for sure, I kept an iguana before, he passed on though...But they are pretty easy to care for, just they can get 6 feet long with tail, so a 55 gal tank would be needed. Bearded dragons are really popular. small too, only like 1 foot long fully grown.

DJMonty

If Iguanas get to 6 feet long including the tail, surely they'd need a minimum of a 6 foot long tank? A 55 Gallon is only 4 feet long.

I like the look of tiger salamanders, and bearded dragons look pretty awesome. Which, in your opinion would be more suitable for a first time owner? Or is there another amphibian/reptile you'd suggest is better for a beginner than those two?

Badger

I have never owned either, just going by what I've read. I think you would like a dragon better because they can be handled. Or a leopard gecko, but I don't like their tails.

DJMonty

Leopard Geckos look quite cool. I'll have to try and persuade my mum to let me have one

EDIT: I've just seen some Croc Skinks and Blue Tongued Skinks as related articles to a Leopard Gecko care sheet. Would you recommend these species?

Badger

Never had any experience with these, sorry

DJMonty

Okay, thanks anyway.

Lady medusa

Those last two u mentioned are not a beginner animal. Blue tongues can be tempermental and have a strong bite. As for the iguana believe it or not no its not a beginner lizard. They too tend to be tempermental and get large so they require lots of room.

And badger how can u say u dont like leopard gecko tails?! They are soooooo cute! You can keep 3 leos in a 20gal. Make sure u have one male per enclosure though cuz they will fight. I love mine and they have no issuebeing picked up. When its feeding time they rattle their tails before grabbing the cricket. Another bonus about leos is unlike alot of lizards they dont need uvb light. However just in case i have a uvb light on mine. Hmmmmm another beginner lizard i would think would be the crested gecko. They dont need a super heated terrarium and you can keep several in a 50 gallon tank. Theres firebellied newts they are fairly easy and they are just as aquatic as firebellied toads. What do u think about turtles? Those are another option. But not many turtles are a good beginner turtle.

DJMonty

I've been reading up on turtles, but many seem to grow too large to keep in a 50 Gallon.

I might just go against my mother and get some FBTs anyway, and save up for a Vivarium (for £250, I can get a vivarium measuring 48"x24"x24" and a stand to match) to stock lizards or snakes or something like them.

My one concern is crickets. The local pet shop sell them really cheap (200 5th Molt crickets for £2.50), but my main concern with them is the noise. How much noise will these crickets make?

Badger

Lol, I think it looks...weird >.<

Lady medusa

Fire bellues are too small i think to eat large crickets, though im sure they would try! Your medium sized crickets arent too loud. Generally they dont make noise but your crickets big enough to have wings will make just as much noise as a frog if not more! My crickets get eaten so fat you dont get noise for long but then again thats how i know im out of crickets lol.

Badger

Like previously said, only large crickets make noise, and FBT's aren't usually big enough to eat an adult cricket.

DJMonty

Thanks for the info, guys.

What type of cricket should I use? 3rd molt, 5th molt, etc.?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information