Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What can I keep in a 50 gallon fish tank?

Badger

Default Re: What can I keep in a 50 gallon fish tank?

keep us posted!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Poly

I think you will enjoy Tomato Frogs. With their vibrant red & orange colours, nice shapes, and again, being non-picky eaters, they make great pets.

DJMonty

I'm leaning more towards the Tomato Frogs than the others. As I've said, my little brother has access to this tank, and I don't want him to lose an interest in frogs because they're nocturnal, or not very active.

Perhaps I'll buy a few more tanks and stock the others, if my experience with my first frogs goes well.

Badger

Just be sure you can care for the frogs you get!

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by DJMonty View Post
    I'm leaning more towards the Tomato Frogs than the others. As I've said, my little brother has access to this tank, and I don't want him to lose an interest in frogs because they're nocturnal, or not very active.

Perhaps I'll buy a few more tanks and stock the others, if my experience with my first frogs goes well.
    Can't see him loosing interest in cute, lil' fat, red blobs of frogs! Haha!

rosaphile

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned fire bellied toads... ? My understanding is they are one of the easiest frogs to start with, they are diurnal and active (fun to watch), they have beautiful coloring, and you can set up a part terrestrial/part aquatic tank for the best of both worlds. You could get a LOT of them in that tank if you wanted, LOL - my book says you can keep up to 5 of them in a 10 gal tank! I have no idea what their availability is like in your part of the world but I do know there is at least one European species.

White's would also be a nice choice, that is what my son has decided on for his first frog (in spite of my efforts to talk him into FBTs, hehe), I think they're adorable though it seems they are a bit harder to observe.

Looking forward to hearing what you decide!

DJMonty

Fire Bellied Toads seem pretty cool. I just did a quick Google Search, and they look awesome. Are they able to be kept with the Tomato Frogs?

Poly

Fire Bellied Toads seem pretty cool. I just did a quick Google Search, and they look awesome. Are they able to be kept with the Tomato Frogs?
    No, different species of amphibians cannot be kept together. Especially with FBT's, they give off a toxin that will kill any tankmates unless they are other firebellies.

Badger

No, for a couple reasons

1.) FBT's are poisonous to other frogs

2.) They're enclosure requirements are different...FBT's like a 2/3 water and 1/3 land setup.

3.) It's frowned upon in the frog society to keep different species together....hybrids are looked down upon, and disease and parasites are easily spread this way.

Not trying to sound condescending, sorry, just trying to help

rosaphile

You're almost certainly far better off keeping species separate (disappointing, I know - it would be so fun to have a variety like a tropical fish aquarium!). Even if you put together two species that have very similar habitat requirements, they produce toxins that can poison one another when confined together. Fire belied toads do produce their own toxins (not diet dependent like the dart frogs) and I'm pretty sure that would be problematic for other frogs. (The toxins are obviously not a big deal for humans, although my understanding is they might make small cuts sting and you would not want to get them in your eyes.)

ETA: Simultaneous posting!

DJMonty

Ah, okay. Thanks for the info, guys.

I think I'm almost 100% going to get the Tomato Frogs. The FBTs are still a possibility, as are the White's and the Pacman Frogs.

EDIT: I've just checked with my local pet shop, they say they can get FBTs, but not Tomato Frogs. Perhaps I will get FBTs after all.

Poly

Ah, okay. Thanks for the info, guys.

I think I'm almost 100% going to get the Tomato Frogs. The FBTs are still a possibility, as are the White's and the Pacman Frogs.

EDIT: I've just checked with my local pet shop, they say they can get FBTs, but not Tomato Frogs. Perhaps I will get FBTs after all.
    You can order Tomato frogs from many websites.

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by Poly View Post
    You can order Tomato frogs from many websites.
    Here's a link to LLL Reptiles. I know it's a fairly popular chain in the U.S. Tomato Frogs

DJMonty

Thanks for the info.

I've just done a quick Google Search, and the main sites that sell them are based in Yorkshire, about 300 miles from where I live. And courier service is apparently £1 per mile, and £320 for a single frog seems a bit expensive.

EDIT: I'm not entirely sure a US chain would ship here, I live in England.

Poly

Thanks for the info.

I've just done a quick Google Search, and the main sites that sell them are based in Yorkshire, about 300 miles from where I live. And courier service is apparently £1 per mile, and £320 for a single frog seems a bit expensive.

EDIT: I'm not entirely sure a US chain would ship here, I live in England.
    Yeah, sorry about that! I thought you were from the states.

DJMonty

It's alright.

I'll search for Tomato Frogs for a while (probably the next week or so), and if I can't find any, I guess I'll stick with FBTs.

Poly

It's alright.

I'll search for Tomato Frogs for a while (probably the next week or so), and if I can't find any, I guess I'll stick with FBTs.
    Sounds like a plan!

Badger

Good luck!

Lady medusa

all frogs carry some sort of irratent in their skin so make sure you wash ur hands before and after handling the frog. but to be honest most frogs and toads dont like to be messed with. they are more of an animal to watch. make sure you put some locks on your tank so no lil fingers can get in while your away. and if you dont want to stick with frogs a couple of easy reptiles are out there too. green anoles are cheap and you can keep in large groups, especially in a 50 gallon. also there is leopard geckos that again you can keep in groups and actually dont mind a little handling plus they are nocturnal so they will be sleeping while your at school and milling about when your home.

it really depends on what kind of set up is going to work best for you. how much effort are you wanting to place in the project? do you want a tropical, woodland, or desert set up?
    all i can say is research alot!!! look up other peoples enclosures to see what they have done and get ideas for your project.

DJMonty

Thanks for the info.

Green Anoles look awesome! I can honestly say I haven't got a clue what I want now! I suppose I'll design setups for both species, and see which one I prefer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information