Thread: Difficult Maintenance due to Bratty Frogs!

heddahgir

Angry Difficult Maintenance due to Bratty Frogs!

I hope I am putting this in the appropriate section, I'm new to the forum!! My boyfriend and I just got 4 new froggies but they are so pesky they try to escape every time we open it to do some tank maintenance (give water, fix plants, clean, etc). We took them all out and put them in a different place while we did what we needed to, but it takes so long and we're afraid it isn't good for them or stresses them out. Any suggestions? Also, is there an easier was to fill their water maybe? We have a corner rock water bowl for them and we have to clean it and fill water, another opportunity for them to escape. Soo......any help would be much appreciated!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Badger

Default Re: Difficult Maintenance due to Bratty Frogs!

What kinda frogs are they? I'm assuming tree frogs if they are escaping, so: There isn't much you can do other thank do what you have been, usually the stress isn't too bad, just try to do it quick. A lot of people take their frogs out everyday to feed, so I wouldn't be overly worried about it.

heddahgir

ya tree frogs. And actually I need help putting a breed to them. I think they are either baja california tree frogs, or pacific chorus frogs. I'll post pictures for some help with that! But okay about the stress. That's what I was really worried about. The time, eh, do what we gotta do, I just want them to be happy. Thanks for putting me at ease! (:

Badger

haha, no problem. Pacific Chorus Frogs are pretty common from what I've seen, but I'm on the Atlantic not Pacific.

Poly

Firstly, I would like to say; Welcome to the Fourm!

There are people against and for removing frogs for feeding.

I am personally for it, it keeps their enclosure much cleaner (no cricket legs, droppings, etc.) and as you stated, it allows you time to do normal maintenance, while they eat.

Just be sure to rinse your hands VERY throughly before handling your frogs (to clean off any chemicals, cleaners, etc.) and try to minimize handling becuase amphibinas absorb the salt and oil naturally found on our skin through their skin.

~Royce

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi, I dont know if you will find this helpful but with regards handling the frogs to move them; I move mine by getting a little plastic container - a clear one with lid - I hold the pot in the palm of my hand and use my fingers (of the same hand; the pots are really small) to gently coax the frog into the container I then either cover with my palm to transfer to the holding / feeding container or gently pop the lid on being VERY careful not to trap feet, toes, etc. My frogs have got used to this and although I cant say they get into the container on their own but they are deffinately not so stressed as when I used to handle them. Of course this method is probably not viable with larger frogs I started to use this method when mine were newly morphed and I was worried I would lose or hurt them if I tried to hold them.

heddahgir

You guys are all such lifesavers! These are all really great tips! I did the plastic container but they didnt seem to like that very much, and I don't know if that would make them comfortable enough to eat it there. Any suggestions on that? I'd like to remove them to feed them becuase it lets me know they ARE eating, but that's just for my benefit.

heddahgir

http://www.frogforum.net/blogs/hedda...-froggies.html# here is the link to my other post. maybe you guys can help me figure out what kind they are??

Thread Information