Thread: Distilled Water - to use or not to use

Sidius

Default Distilled Water - to use or not to use

Now I have heard on these forums using distilled water is ok for misting however I was enjoying my morning cup of coffee and found this while reading up on pacman/tomato frogs:

"Humidity should be kept between 70 and 80%, by misting the enclosure once or twice daily. Altering ventilation and using live plants plus using a moisture retaining substrate will aid maintenance of humidity levels.
    Chlorine and chloramines can be harmful to your frog, therefore it would be wise to either leave water standing for 24 hours to allow chlorine to dissipate or add a commercially available water treatment to remove the said ingredients. There are many products available for this use and some also include a product for your frogs skin which is supposed to encourage slime coat development providing a natural protective barrier for amphibians, but the use of these is highly debateable amongst frog enthusiasts, so further reading is suggested. Use of distilled or reverse osmosis water is highly discouraged as both can result in detrimental health conditions for your frog.
    Your frog will require fresh treated water provided in a shallow water dish daily, the water level should be no deeper than the height of the frogs nose when it is at rest. Ensure your frog can easily climb into and out of its water.
    It is extremely important to provide water in a dish and keep it clean as frogs absorb water through their belly skin and also take it into their bladders via their vent. If water appears dirty then change it more frequently than daily – they do like to defacate in their water bowls!"

I also found another page that said using distilled or purified water can "burn" the frogs skin..I have been using natural spring water in the water dish...but I have used distilled to mist the tank. Would it be best to just use tap water w/a water conditioner? Just seems to be a lot of different opinions out there as far as what 'type' of water is best to use... figured I'd ask the experts.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Badger

Default Re: Distilled Water - to use or not to use

There is a big thread by john that is stickied in the enclosure section, he explained all of the defferent terms as far as water goes. Here's the link: http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...hing-else.html

4. This member thanks Badger for this post:

Sidius

Very nice, thank you for posting that link, was looking for one before I posted mine but I guess I was looking the wrong way.

Badger

No problem, It's what we're here for

BG

I use treated tap water for many years with out a problem. It only dirties the glass.

Thread Information