Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Switching to water!

Jcal

Default Switching to water!

well after much consideration i have decided to switch from eco earth to all water with my big African. i bought the bricks and filter today and tomorrow afternoon we should be up and running.
    Name:  DSCF2971.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  103.3 KBName:  DSCF2980.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  105.6 KB

the bricks got a good hammering, to round off the rough edges, and are soaking for the night.
    i am hoping once the little(new baby African Bullfrog) is big enough i will be able to house them together......maybe.

i had the camera out so i took extra pictures

my little is first(still hoping for a male)
    i know......i said i was going all african but the ornata caught my attention and the petstore were OUT OF African Bullfrog'S. so i bought it!

last pic is my big girl!

Name:  DSCF2964.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  111.1 KBName:  DSCF2954.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  71.6 KBName:  DSCF2957.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  80.4 KBName:  DSCF2974.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  114.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Deejay Mayweather

Default Re: switching to water!

I too have been thinking to switch some of my vivs to all water,good look.

thanks

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Your frogs look great. Good luck in the water.

MonsterPyxie

Waiting to see the progress, you will have to let me know how you like it. I myself am getting a little tired of having to dig up my girl constantly just to feed her.

Jcal

African bullfrog - YouTube

Excuse my commentary. So far she seems to like it. She hangs under the filter alot. There are just a few tweaks i need to make. I have to get creative with the filter to get the noise down.that water drives me crazy.

MonsterPyxie

maybe the water from the pump/waterfall is the warmest? might wanna get a water heater, just get a low wattage one so she doesn't sit on it and burn herself.

Nationality
    [Sweden]

If you go all water, can you just use a waterheater and skip heatlamp/pad?

MonsterPyxie

yes you could, but in my experience, waterheaters are pretty intense. If you take them out of water for about 20 seconds, they will burn themselves up, they get SO hot.

So I would find a way to keep the frog away from the heater, such as stack bricks around it or something.

Nationality
    [Sweden]

But if you can keep the waterheater hidden for the frog so it can't get to it, then the temperature of the water would keep the air warm enough too?
    Or do you have to have seperate heatingsorce for the water and the air in the tank?

Nationality
    [United States]

I have separate heating sources. I keep the water heater for the nighttime, when the lights are off. My water stays about 77-80 degrees. The lamp gives them a nice place to soak up the heat. Without a water heater, the water is going to get room temperature and that may be too cold for your frog. I have had heaters in my tanks for awhile, about 6 months now for my Budgett's frogs. I haven't had any problems.

Jcal

I am going to hide mine in a peice of pvc. I plan to mod a bigger tank. Going to cut two holes on different sides and add a canister filter with a build in heater.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    I am going to hide mine in a peice of pvc. I plan to mod a bigger tank. Going to cut two holes on different sides and add a canister filter with a build in heater.
    That sounds really cool. I would like to see that when it is done.

BG

If you are going with water .Go with some land made from natural material. The brick idea is not the best.Maybe build up some slate rock or smooth flat river rock. Give him an island.

dsmalex97

I've been using the water setup for like 2 weeks now, and I think its great. I had a problem with my girl not eating, and burrowing down to the bottom of the enclosure. This was annoying because I couldn't feed her, and I'm not into maintaining a tank of dirt lol. I waited, and waited but nothing...I've heard through the grapevine that you can house them in water as well, but for some reason it was frowned upon. I decided to go for it anyway, and now my girl is back to beast mode!! She eats wonderfully now, and eat just about anything that I throw in the tank. She doesn't like being tong fed, so w.e is being offered has to be in the water. This seemed to be the trick for her to get her to eat. I think she didn't like the coco fiber because she misses a lot when she eats, and would get a mouthful of dirt. After that, she would be turned off to the whole idea of eating and give up. I made a video of both my setups which are both quiet, and functional in my opinion. I figured it could be useful info for you when it comes time to build your own. Please post how you do it because I don't see too many people using water, and I would like to see how others go about setting up their enclosures.

Pacman/Pyxie Water Setup - YouTube

Nationality
    [United States]

It looks great. It looks like your girl is doing well. She looks healthy and active.

17. This member thanks Jimifrog for this post:

dsmalex97

Yeah, she's been doing awesome Jimmi!

She's eaten 2 rat fuzzies, and loads of night crawlers since I talked to you last! Now I just got get her some dubia's, or some crickets. I think she's swallowing a lot of water when diving down for the nightcrawlers lol! She likes eating in her enclosure and won't eat anything from the tongs, so something that can stay on top of the water I think would be best for her.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sounds like you've got your frog care dialed in. One of my frogs won't eat from the tongs either, so he gets roaches and crickets as well, with an occasional mouse flesh treat.

artes

I'm thinking about switching to a water set up for my Marjorie. You have any tips/suggestions?

dsmalex97

To me whats seeming to be an important factor is water change. Being that my Ornate doesn't use his water as much as my AFB I would be doing water changes weekly to every couple. My Pacman I'll change moss and water once a month(including cleaning the gravel). Also, make sure you got something to muffle to the sound of the filter because it sounds like someone is continuously peeing in your room lol.

Nationality
    [United States]

Also, because of how low the water levels are in the tank, the muffler helps to keep the flow of incoming gunk from being interrupted. If the water flows out of the filter and directly into the water in front of it, it works to defeat its own purpose. Warmth is a key part of my water tanks. You might want to put some sort of hide in there, as well. Dsmalex's plants are a good idea that gives the frog a bit of cover.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information