Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Switching to water!

frogmama

Default Re: Switching to water!

Thank you so much. We've already upped the temps. I apologize; I couldn't figure out how to start a new thread and we were panicked! I've since figured out the new post. Thanks again for the advice. We're feeding live purchased crickets fed Fluker's calcium supplement.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jcal

Quote Originally Posted by dsmalex97 View Post
    Now here's what I'm wondering....

Jcal has a sweet filter. Now do you think this is necessary? I've only had my water setup going for 2 weeks now, and so far so good. But over a long period I have no idea. I can see them sitting in dirty water being bad because of their sensitive skin. Currently I am siphoning out the water every few days to remove dirt from earthworms, and poop/pee. This seems to be fine, but I wonder if having a nice filtration system would really help keep the maintenance down. Hmmmmm....lol

@Jcal
    What of filter is that j.w
    Its a zoomed 501 canister. And yes the filter helps alot. What i have been noticing more than anything is how much the frogs like water movement. They love hanging in the current. They also are more agressive during feeding.

I dont have dirt or anything else that would clog the filter. Just water and rocks....and soon some moss

artes

Quote Originally Posted by frogmama View Post
    So sorry to interrupt this thread, but I've got a pixie emergency. We're a new frog family and the pixie we've had for about three months does not appear to be doing well at all this evening. He hasn't been eating well the past week and a half, and he started falling over on his side and back late this afternoon. He is about 3 1/2 inches nose to tail, though I'm not sure the exact age. We returned from dinner to find him belly up and thought he was dead; however, my husband turned him over and he's still moving, thought slowly. He had no interest in his crickets this evening. We thought he might have gotten too cold, so we've got a heat lamp on and our fingers crossed. Any advice? There's a 10-year-old little boy who cried himself to sleep afraid his frog will die tonight, and it's not looking good from our perspective. Thanks for your feedback.
    I would guess cold if he didn't have a heat lamp or heat pad until now. Hopefully, warming him up will go better. After the temps go up to around 80-83, I would try feeding him a pinkie mouse (frozen would be fine, just defrost and dangle in front of his mouth) to get some good nutrition into him.

dsmalex97

I'm digging this 501, but I keep reading horrible reviews for it. These reviews are also coming from people with turtle tanks, so I'm assuming that's why. Just curious, but how much did you pay for yours? And do you think you're going to have to do frequent water changes with it?

dsmalex97

I'm actually wondering if maybe the 511 would be best for an adult? I'm thinking about upgrading now, because I worry about the ammonia content w/ the whisper filters. I like the idea of a canister filter too. I wish I knew about it before I bought the whisper filter :/ An adult turtle is an animal that creates LOTS of waste. I imagine frogs aren't much better. I would think for an adult you would need something with a little more power, no? Decisions, decisions. What do you guys think??

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That 511 looks great. I don't see what the problem would be in going that route. I may have to sell my kidneys to put them in my tanks, but I am not above that.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: switching to water!

Thank you for all information in thread. I'm a beginner when it comes to AFB and plan to keep mine in a water set-up too.

Jcal

The 511 is nice. I didnt see that one at the store. But for that money you could get a better canister.
    I got my 501 for 34 bucks.

dsmalex97

Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    The 511 is nice. I didnt see that one at the store. But for that money you could get a better canister.
    I got my 501 for 34 bucks.
    O wow thats a good deal, they are 50 at the petco by me...

I think I just like the idea of a canister filter in general, so I'm going to keep my eye open for a good one.

Sublime

dsmalex97

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    Good looks Sublime!

MonsterPyxie

god dang it.... should have bought one of these instead of the one I just bought for my moon crab

might have to buy one for 'em if I can find a use for the other filter I just bought.

Jcal

Yeah for 34 bucks i bought it quick. I hurried because i thought they were going to change their mind on me.

This is the next monster i have in mind. They love the current so im not afraid to pump more water through the tank. And the spray bar is really easy to make.
    Amazon.com: Fluval 205 External Canister Filter - 110V, 180 gallons per hour: Pet Supplies

Anyone in socal want to buy a 501?

dsmalex97

lol, Fluval makes nice stuff. I have a 125 gallon tank that was used to house a red ear slider, and I used a fluval fx5. GREAT filter! This was the only filter that could keep up with the turtle. I'd say fluval makes some of the best stuff on the market. But, I was honestly thinking of making my own filter. I'm trying to find a good build that would work well for a small application. Anyone know of any good DIY filter projects?

Nationality
    [United States]

I am getting all caught up in the canister filter wave here. Today, I found this one at Petsmart on clearance for $35.

http://www.amazon.com/Rena-720-Filstar-Canister-Filter/dp/B000260FWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320340336&sr=8-1

N
    ow, I just need the wife to get home to set it up for me.

Chomp

what size tanks are you guys using? also lets say i want to make a 50/50 tank whats the best method of splitting the middle

dsmalex97

I was thinking about splitting a tank as well but doing 70/30 (water/substrate). I was going to just cut a piece of plexi glass to size and silicone it. Or, come up with some kind of ramp idea. Hmmmm, time to get creative lol

Nationality
    [United States]

The plexiglass/silicone idea worked well for the 50/50 I made. It was pretty simple to set up.

Sublime

I kind of want to innovate some type of waterproof ramp idea, rather than a glass or plexiglass divider. Doing a 50-50 setup though, didn't you guys say that the dirt would clog the filter? How would I approach this?

Jcal

Quote Originally Posted by dsmalex97 View Post
    lol, Fluval makes nice stuff. I have a 125 gallon tank that was used to house a red ear slider, and I used a fluval fx5. GREAT filter! This was the only filter that could keep up with the turtle. I'd say fluval makes some of the best stuff on the market. But, I was honestly thinking of making my own filter. I'm trying to find a good build that would work well for a small application. Anyone know of any good DIY filter projects?
    I read alot about making my own but all of the parts still came out to around 50ish to do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimifrog View Post
    I am getting all caught up in the canister filter wave here. Today, I found this one at Petsmart on clearance for $35.

http://www.amazon.com/Rena-720-Filstar-Canister-Filter/dp/B000260FWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320340336&sr=8-1

N
    ow, I just need the wife to get home to set it up for me.
    Thats a great deal. Cant wait to see than monster in action!

I kind of want to innovate some type of waterproof ramp idea, rather than a glass or plexiglass divider. Doing a 50-50 setup though, didn't you guys say that the dirt would clog the filter? How would I approach this?
    Personally i dont like the dirt method. I do think you would have more trouble with the filter clogging no matter how big it is. My water bowls would always be full of dirt and i would change them everyday. I have been using bricks but i too would like to see a nice ramp. Those bricks are heavy!
    Maybe i could mode some kind of turtle ramp for something.......

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information