Thread: Newbie Pacman Owner Question xD

ninetail89

Talking Newbie Pacman Owner Question xD

Hello all,new to this forum and also a relatively new owner of a Juvenile Albino Pacman...i had it for 3 weeks now...and i got a few question...hope u guys can help XD
    first of all..here my pacman setup...

Name:  IMG_0791.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  79.9 KBName:  IMG_0785.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  82.4 KB

1>i been feeding 100% on Fish only for now..is that ok??..cause it shows no interest in Cricket or Mealworm.......also....its size is merely around 1.5-2 inch....whats the proper amount i should feed it??normally i just feed it until....he actually spit out the fish....which is after having 5-6 fish...which clearly means he is full...lol...

2>also..i notice my pacman seriously love to burrow until i cant even find it sometimes....is this common??.....but....if they are hungry...will they actually come out from thier hole or something??...cause 99.99% of the time..i have to dig him out to feed it...

3>whats the proper way to handle/transfer a pacman....i normally use my hand...touching that flabby/fatty body.....

4>Pacman dont need much water do they??i mist my tank everyday.....but i hardly see him ever wanting to jump into the water bowl.....

5>feeding time....normally...i use a tong to feed it....but.....sometimes...when i am dangling the fish near his face....he miss his target and bite the steel tong instead.....which i think hurts its mouth.....to prevent this...i sometimes used my finger....but whenever i use my finger....he would be scare and refuse to bite the fish...unlike i am using the tong....he just go for it..

6>i want to name it...but i got no idea whether its a male or female....how to tell......from what i see online....its round its female...but...obviously its round...since it eat like hell..lol.

7>Most Important Question.....I want to get another Pacman....Fantasy Green one....and i want to put together with my Albino in the same tank....since...the tank is rather big...but i am afraid that they will eat each other.....how to prevent?any suggestion......i love to see 2 pacman in the same tank....as long as they are around the same size...and both are well fed.....they should be fine right???wont go eating each other??....FYI..both pacman is merely a juvenile.....anyone keep multiple pacman in same tank??advise needed....

well...thats all for now..Thx a lot

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

mafoo

Default Re: Newbie Pacman Owner Question xD

ok well since you got no answers yet from any of the experienced guys around here ill try to give u my advice. just to warn i havent even got a pacman yet and am still researching them to get as much info as possible so they don't die but i know a good bit from the research.

ok for you first question fish are rather fatty and should be used as a treat only and not really a full time feeder, although they are better then mice for sure so they work if there the best if he will eat. i would try nightcrawlers and just dangle them infront of his mouth untill he eats it, because im sure he eventualy will if u entice him enough. also dust the nightcrawlers in calcium powder for 2 reasons, they catch the frogs eye better and second, there healthier for it. also a question from me how did u manage to get the fish on tongs lol? u kill it and put it on or what cause i thought ud just put it in the water dish and let him find it.

but ok second question, very common for them to burrow and id dig him out for feeding just like your doing if hes fully burrowed. if his head is still sticking out then just dangle the food infront of his face.

third question, as far as i know you should put both hands under his feet so he feels like hes on ground but then he can jump out of your hand so you gotta keep him low to the ground and put him in wherever you want him.

and fourth question, just have a water dish out that he can fit in so if he ever really wants to he can go in it and the dish will also help the humidity. just mist the tank everyday to keep the humidity way up there for him since thats what pacmans need.

5th question, id buy some good tongs with plastic balls at the end and a bit of plastic around it to keep it from hurting him.

6th question, definately wouldnt have to pacmans in the same tank. you could put them together for a bit after feeding them both but not full time because you forget a day feeding him and ull come back to one pacman gone. also once the pacmans get big they will need a whole lot of room so 2 in the same tank would probably be crammed unless the tank is huge.

well i hope this all helps u out and there could be more stuff i didnt mention because i dont know but this should help you out a bunch! good luck with the pacman keep me updated on how its doing!!!

ninetail89

Quote Originally Posted by mafoo View Post
    also a question from me how did u manage to get the fish on tongs lol? u kill it and put it on or what cause i thought ud just put it in the water dish and let him find it.
    hehe..thx for reply..XD...helps a lot...also...for the above question...yeah...i normally just dump the fish in the water bowl...but sometimes...its frustrating to see him keep missing the target.....the water bowl is rather big for his size..and the fishes tend to hide at a corner...and this guy just love to stand there waiting ....it usually strike when the fish swim right infront of him....but that takes forever...just why i use a tong to feed..or i found a much better way now....i just cut off the fish tail end..and put the fish near it then the fish cant really swim away and just floating around there...and he eats it....
    hmm...will try to change his diet to Cricket then...cause when i hold him up..i notice he is way too flabby...like a bunch of pork fat...i been feeding fish all these while...since the Breeder that sold me the frog...recommend me to find fish only..omg lo

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

1) 100% fish is bad. Fish are fatty and should only be given as a treat. They can cause serious health issues later in the frogs life. Rule of thumb you should feed your Pac how ever much he/she will eat in 15 to 20 minutes to keep track of what and how many food items your frog eats.

2) Pacman frogs are burrowing ambush predators. They love to burrow in their substrate which is completely normal. You shouldn't have to unbury your frog. He/she will wake up when its dark. They are nocturnal so they are active at night. You should also be feeding your Pac at night as well. Also they need a 12 hour photo period. 12 hours of day and 12 hours of night.

3) Pacman frogs like most frogs have very sensitive skin. You must be sure if you handle you Pac that you wash your hands very thoroughly with a mild cleanser and then rinse very well. Rinse a second time with de-chlorinated water you MUST use a water conditioner to treat your frogs water. The oils on your hands can harm your frog and especially the chemicals in tap water. If the water isn't treated it will poison yor frog and it will die.

4) Pacman frogs are terrestrial so they are land frogs also known as anurans. They don't spend a lot of time in water. They will use it occationaly and also as a toilet when they do get in their water. Again I must stress that all your frogs water must be DE-CHLORINATED WATER. The misting water can be distilled water as it won't leave mineral deposites on the glass walls of the enclosure.

5) Again fish should not be used as a staple diet. They are fattening and should only be fed as a treat. Also they carry disease and parasites. Some breeds of fish more than others. Are you using Eco Earth coconut fiber as a substrate? You can break the hind legs off the crickets and let them loose in the in the enclosure next to the frog and he/she should go after them on its own. You can buy forcepts with rubber coated tips so your frog isn't harmed while eating if he/she bites them. You also must buy a multivitamine dust and calcium dust with D3 to dust your frogs food with. Dust with the multivitamin once a week and dust with the calcium dust with D3 every other feeding. Don't dust with both at the same time as your frog won't get the full benefit from them if he/she is trying to matabilize them at the same time.

6) desiding a name can be difficult because you can't. Accurately tell whether its male or female until the frog matures which can take 8 months to a year.

7) you should wait to get another Pacman until you develope your skills caring for the one you have. There is a care sheet on this forum in the care articles. You must never house Pacmans with each other or other frogs. They are canniblistic and even if they are the same size they may attack each other and harm or kill one another. The only time these frogs get together is during breeding which is for a breaf time. They are happier alone.

I hope this helps you an welcome to the forum. Also we love pictures so if you can post some pics of you little guy/girl.

Nationality
    [United States]

Do you temperature and humidity guages? It is very important to have these. Temp should 80-85 during the day and 75-79 at night. Humidity should be in the 65- 80% range. As I mentioned, be sure to read the pacman care article. It has a lot of VERY important information and should answer most of your questions.

Nationality
    [United States]

Also, the water dish might be a little big. Pacmans are not good swimmers and can drown easily. It is vitally important that the water not be too deep. The water level should reach the frog's chin or be about half the height of the frog.

ninetail89

ok..thx a lot....thats really helpful....
    k...now first thing i want to do is'

(To Do List)

1> go and wack the breeder which sold me the pacman...for asking me to feed only fishes....LOL jkjk..well then got to go buy some crickets now..i actually did buy them at first when i got my pacman...but he just refuse to eat and only respond to fishes...so all the cricket..i throw to my japanese koi instead..

2>yes i using coconut thingy...eco earth..

3>temperature...hmmm..i am from Malaysia...South East Asia...i think the temeperature is perfect for these Frog..thats what i heard...morning/afternoon is around 30-32c while night is 27-29c
    yea....only use some medical tape n wrap around the tip of my tong~

Question~~

1>hmm..ok thats new...that water thingy...i been using normal drinking water(boiled) all these while...is this very very crucial??

2>hm....so feeding cricket as the main staple....any suggestion how much to feed??must feed daily??..cause i been feed fishes all these while....1 fish daily..

well...thx a lot...great help XD

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by ninetail89 View Post
    ok..thx a lot....thats really helpful....
    k...now first thing i want to do is'

(To Do List)

1> go and wack the breeder which sold me the pacman...for asking me to feed only fishes....LOL jkjk..well then got to go buy some crickets now..i actually did buy them at first when i got my pacman...but he just refuse to eat and only respond to fishes...so all the cricket..i throw to my japanese koi instead..

2>yes i using coconut thingy...eco earth..

3>temperature...hmmm..i am from Malaysia...South East Asia...i think the temeperature is perfect for these Frog..thats what i heard...morning/afternoon is around 30-32c while night is 27-29c
    yea....only use some medical tape n wrap around the tip of my tong~

Question~~

1>hmm..ok thats new...that water thingy...i been using normal drinking water(boiled) all these while...is this very very crucial??

2>hm....so feeding cricket as the main staple....any suggestion how much to feed??must feed daily??..cause i been feed fishes all these while....1 fish daily..

well...thx a lot...great help XD
    Yes the water conditioner is crucial. It removes chemical and heavy metals that cannot be boiled off. They remain behind after you boil and the conditioner will neutrilize any of these. Your frog may become ill and die from toxing out as it is called.

Feed your frog as many crickets as he/she will eat in 15 to 20 minutes. 1.5 to 2 inches sounds like a baby. Baby and juviniles need to be fed daily for strong healthy growth. Be sure to dust the food items as I explained above. You still need temp gauge and a hygrometer so you can regulate the warmth and moisture within the enclosure. It is not advised for temps to reach near 90 degrees F. 86 would be the hottest and babies and juviniles need a max of 80 to 81 because they can't handle higher temps at such a young age. Should never be 70 and below at night. 75 is the coolest you shoul have him/her at night.

ninetail89

okok..thx for your help..XD

Nationality
    [United States]

Lol! Don't get stressed. With proper care you'll have a monster in a few months.

ninetail89

hmm...can anyone tell me the different between normal Green/Albino pacman and a Fantasy/Ornate Pacman frog??....and is it true that Fantasy/Ornate pacman are slightly more expensive than green or albino?

btw...i am very interested with the Green Fantasy Pacman Below....its beautiful and love the pattern on the back(SET A)....do u guys think so too??or maybe its just me ....
    let u guys compare 2 Green Fantasy...i no idea its male or female...but the shape of both is kinda different....maybe can see the gender already??

which would u guys prefer??? the first Set A or Set B??

SET A
    .Name:  post-526918-1318496214_thumb.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  17.0 KBName:  post-526918-1318496190_thumb.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  13.0 KB

SET B
    Name:  post-526918-1318496259_thumb.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  17.2 KBName:  post-526918-1318496240_thumb.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  14.1 KB

hehe thx.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by ninetail89 View Post
    hmm...can anyone tell me the different between normal Green/Albino pacman and a Fantasy/Ornate Pacman frog??....and is it true that Fantasy/Ornate pacman are slightly more expensive than green or albino?

btw...i am very interested with the Green Fantasy Pacman Below....its beautiful and love the pattern on the back(SET A)....do u guys think so too??or maybe its just me ....
    let u guys compare 2 Green Fantasy...i no idea its male or female...but the shape of both is kinda different....maybe can see the gender already??

which would u guys prefer??? the first Set A or Set B??

SET A
    .Name:  post-526918-1318496214_thumb.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  17.0 KBName:  post-526918-1318496190_thumb.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  13.0 KB

SET B
    Name:  post-526918-1318496259_thumb.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  17.2 KBName:  post-526918-1318496240_thumb.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  14.1 KB

hehe thx.
    That frog you have pictured there isn't a Green Pacman though the color is Green. That is a Fantacy frog. Which is a mix between the Amazonian Horned frog and the Cranwells Horned frog. Ceratophrys Cornuta x Ceratophrys Cranwelli. Amazon Horned Frogs can get pretty large. A possible 8 inches and have a lot of varying greens and browns intheir pattern. Also the spoted pattern on their back is connected like the frog in your photo. They are very picky eaters and are difficult to care for as they usually won't eat because they don't acclimate well to captivity. I myself don't have any experience with other breeds like these because I have Cranwellis but have read a lot and gotten info from others on this forum.

Cranwellis come in varying browns/greens/and rusty browns. They can get to a possible 8 inches as well but most only reach 5 to 6 inches. They are very good eaters and can come in an Albino morph which has varying yellows and reddish colors also peach colors. Albinos are also very sensitive to light. Their skin and eyes can be damaged by bright hot lights. All are good Pacs though. Cranwellis are farely easy to care for. Experienced. Owners and breeders consider them to possibly be easiest but I think there is speculation on that matter.

Ornates usually have very stiking colors and Patterns. Lots of greens/reds/bright greens/yellows/browns. The spots on their baxcks are very intricate and its hard to miss an Ornate when you see one. They also seem to be the largest and roundest of the Ceratophrys family. A Possible 8 to 10 inches but rarely reach these sizes. 7 to 8 most most of the time. They are the best and most veratious eaters in the Family.

Ultimately the choice of Pac is up to you and your preference. The Ornates and Fantacies are more expensive than Cranwellis but aren't the most expensive. The Amazonians are more exspensive and difficult to care for. Their are more man made color morphs and more rare breeds that can reach thousands of dollars so in the trade the Ornates/Fantacies/Amazonians are more for those you can find in pet stores and on the net without special order or bankrupting you Lol!. Hope this helps.

ninetail89

so it is possible for different pacman species to mate/breed??albino with fantasy??ornate with fantasy???fantasy with albino...and so on??

Nationality
    [United States]

You can cross-breed certain species. The Fantasy frogs are a cross between the Amazonian Horned frog and the Cranwells Horned frog, as stated. However, cross-breeds of different species result in infertile frogs. All Fantasy frogs are infertile and so cannot be bred.

Thread Information