Thread: New clawed tank!

Default New clawed tank!

So one of my 55gs which my green terror kinda outgrew quickly and now is in a 75g by himself.

Anywho. So that 55g is still running since it never had any issues with parasites, or illness. It's always clean and stuff. So in there I have a 2.5inch firemouth cichlid(these are actually peaceful more so than other cichlids), and 6 african clawed frogs. Two large females(3.5inch-4inch-- both albino), One mottled green afc(3inch male-- i think its a male), and one normal afc(2.5inch) and other two are just 2.2inch.

I was wondering in this tank. Is it heavily overstocked of african clawed frogs? I heard it was like 5-7g's per frog? They have lots of rockwork and fake plants. The tank has black sand. And it has an eheim filter. It also has circulation pumps and a large air pump. I hear they hate circulation. But really in an aquarium no filter would mean the tank would needed to be cleaned out daily.

So yeah. They're fed a huge variety of foods. I used to have an afc(though he jumped out of the tank so now I know to use a lid).

I feed them:
    Chopped earthworms
    Sinking carnivore pellets(hikari band)
    sinking algea waffers that also contain fresh fish
    Feeder rosies
    Frozen Daphnea(hikari)
    Frozen mysis shrimp(hikari)
    Frozen krill(hikari)
    Turtle pellets
    Butterworms
    Cichlid gold pellets
    And the occassional crickets.

I feed them twice a day. Have had em for 2weeks now. I really want to take a picture but still no cam. I'll try to buy a cheap disposable one and scan it or something. I do need to finish decorating it. The plastic plants are expensive. So i'm waiting to get the rest of the plants this weekend. I got fake lillies. They look ubberly nice. So I wanna add 4-5of them. I'm sticking with one color of the lilly flower(magenta) since it kinda looks better and more "organized".

I have a fluval heater, the heat fluctuates every several days(I do it purposely since this happens in nature). It goes from 72-75degrees. I go by random. But never more than 3points in degrees. If its 75 I won't put it up down to 72. Even though they can tolerate it.

I also heard their slime coat contains a high quantity of anti parasitic, anti bacterial, and anti fungal properties. Which is why they're able to live in stagnant water. Though I'm not going to risk it. The filter will always be on at all times. I do a heavily 50%water change weekly. I'd love to add one or more afc and maybe a small community of fish. Of like Barbs or something too fast to be eaten.

I'm not super sure yet. I'd also have to wait till I transfer the firemouth out of the tank into the 75g. I don't want to put it with the GT yet since it's still 2.5-3inches and I wanna atleast let it grow up to like 4-5inch.

I stop the air pumps daily for atleast a couple hours. And the circulation pumps as well.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New clawed tank!

Can't wait for pictures - -

but stop feeding rosies. You should not feed any feeder fish to your frogs - the fish are kept in awful conditions and you risk exposing your frogs in illnesses that could kill them. Also, rosies have serrated fins which can tear your frogs insides.

Next, they only need to eat one every to every other day. Twice a day is a bit excessive for ACF.

Can I ask why you stop the airpumps daily for a few hours? I just want to know the reasoning behind this.

Also - - great idea with the filter - it makes a great difference in their health! I always recommend them!
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Since they have a back lateral system. Water movement is how they find their prey. It's their mode of "hearing" in a sense. But. With a filter and air pumps on. It's like a jackhammer. Which may stress them out. I fed rosies once. But that's because I ran out of frozen foods to feed at the moment and was in a bit of a rush. I guess i'll feed them every other day. lol. I just want them to be healthy and strong.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    Since they have a back lateral system. Water movement is how they find their prey. It's their mode of "hearing" in a sense. But. With a filter and air pumps on. It's like a jackhammer. Which may stress them out. I fed rosies once. But that's because I ran out of frozen foods to feed at the moment and was in a bit of a rush. I guess i'll feed them every other day. lol. I just want them to be healthy and strong.
    The "jackhammer" is unfortunately an over popular myth -

Yes the lateral line is how their wild counter parts would track down prey - but your frogs have no need to "hunt" to survive and live just fine in filtered waters. Over filtration is often encouraged due to their waste out put. If you are genuinely concerned, then put extra thought into the type of filtration system you have - a hang on the back "waterfall" system is going to make much more disturbance than a canister system. Undergravel filtration is simply not strong enough for these frogs and in my honest opinion is usually a waste of money because it cannot do the level of performance required.

If anything, turning the pumps on and off is more startling (the correct word is not coming to me, startling is close but a bit to exaggerated for my train of thought...) than a constant environment. Changes to their environment can cause more stress - sudden stillness could indicate (if going by wild instincts) that a large threat is in the area and everything else has gone into hiding and sudden started movement could be that threat moving in their midst.

I use aerators in all of my tanks with no problems with my frogs. My frogs "call" and amplex nightly and I have raised a few batches of tadpoles.

It is best to come to a community such as this one (as you have done) rather than invest in over popularized rumors about care for animals. Just think of the poor goldfish in its lonely, unfiltered bowl. It is grossly inadequate and cruel, but has become so popular that now it is considered to be the "proper" care instead of what it actually is - an animal being used as an ornament.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

I quite understand. I just want to make sure they don't go overly crazy about that.

Thread Information