Thread: New to the Frog World, Need Help!

AuroraB4Dawn

Exclamation New to the Frog World, Need Help!

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm a tad bit lost. I recently acquired a Northern Leopard Frog (at least that's what wikipedia tells me haha), sadly he was found dragging himself in the parking lot. It seems someone has run his legs over. his left is really loose, but can still push a tad, but his right is stiff and rigid against his body. I have no idea what to do with him. He hasn't eaten since I've brought him home yesterday evening ( I'm trying to feed him baby crickets). I try and apply this medication that I bought at the pet store at night( I doubt it's actually doing good). His one foot seems to be very swollen and red, and his joints seem very sensitive to the touch. I'm only trying to figure out and isolate the injury. I need tips and advice asap!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New to the Frog World, Need Help!

Hi Aurora.
    You want to limit movement so a small container with moist paper towel as a bottom will do. Use bottled water to moisten.
    Since the frog has been through a tramatic injury and stress is one of the top reasons for loss in captivity, it will be tough to get him to feed right off. The food source needs to be small that the distance between the frogs eyes.

If he is very small then fruit flies would be fine and can be obtained from a place like Petco. They also sell very small crickets at many pet stores.

Sadly though, I would guess he has internal injuries and infection from the broken legs may set in. Pics may help someone here to provide better suggestions. Best treatment is for a vet to see the frog and make a decision from there.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

AuroraB4Dawn

His Right leg is a lot looser, yet that is the one he uses to kick and move around.
His Left leg is really stiff against his body, and only extends when either I move it or gravity takes over.
    Name:  100_1038.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  60.2 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1041.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	19452The redness actually goes all the way up his legs. I thought it was maybe internal trauma. His webbing is also very red which I guessed as blood from broken legs.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1044.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	19454

AuroraB4Dawn

Sorry it took so long. I couldn't find my camera. I hope someone can figure out what his condition is soon. My boyfriend and I are planning on going to the vet in the morning to sort this all out. His webbing is really red and I figured that was blood filling his legs from the trauma. It's odd because his right leg is really tight and tense against his body, where it only extends if i move it or gravity allows when i pick him up, whereas his left leg is really loose and has movement, because that is what he uses to kick himself around his enclosure.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

To my mind it doesn't look like a physical injury but a disease issue like an Aeromonas bacterial infection.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome to the forum . If you'd like to save him I hope you can get him to a vet for any necessary medicine. Good luck! He's a great looking frog. I hope he makes it for you.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Poly

I agree with Heather, getting him to a vet if your best bet. Beautiful frog, hope you manage to save him!

AuroraB4Dawn

I'm a little freaked out right now, because I just caught him throwing up his stomach He is still very lethargic and refusing to eat. I don't know what more I can do. He's going to the vet this Thursday that I can get him proper treatment and hopefully have him safe and sound from any further suffering he may be enduring.

AuroraB4Dawn

Anyone who is following this thread, I would like to announce that he is recovering. He is now very active, jumping out of my hands when I bathe him in his medication. He still refuses to eat crickets. The vet who saw us, gave me a formula to feed him, but I am going to try little mealworms starting this week. I did however, change his whole tank. I had him on microfiber towels, when I wasn't sure what the problem was. Now I redesigned it so there's dirt and a waterfall for him to play under haha. I think he's a little stressed from the change but I hope he comes around.

Nationality
    [United States]

another saved frog...............YES!

AuroraB4Dawn

Thank you I actually saw the loveliest sight I could see this morning. He finally ate live food, no more force feeding..yay! I don't remember what the worms r, but he gobbled them up so happy finally I'm not a nervous wreck!

Thread Information