Thread: Why isn't my Pacman eating?

mzajmyers

Default Why isn't my Pacman eating?

I have had my Pacman since he was the size of a quarter and he is now almost as big as the rim of a coffee mug. Up until about a month ago he was eating about 4 crickets a night and has always disliked the mealworms. We were displaced for a week out of our home from a flood and took him with us to my sisters where he stopped eating. We came home and he still continues to not eat. I have been using the same bedding and environment as always and have checks him for physical issues but he doesn't even look thinner. Should I be concerned? Should I try to feed him something else?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Why isn't my Pacman eating?

Quote Originally Posted by mzajmyers View Post
    I have had my Pacman since he was the size of a quarter and he is now almost as big as the rim of a coffee mug. Up until about a month ago he was eating about 4 crickets a night and has always disliked the mealworms. We were displaced for a week out of our home from a flood and took him with us to my sisters where he stopped eating. We came home and he still continues to not eat. I have been using the same bedding and environment as always and have checks him for physical issues but he doesn't even look thinner. Should I be concerned? Should I try to feed him something else?
    What are the temps and humidity levels? The moving from your home during the flood to your sisters probably stressed him/her out. Which a lot of the time they won't eat. You can try different food items like night crawlers/red wigglers/hornworms/dubia roaches/silk worms. I would avoid mealworms during this as they are difficult for the frog to digest. How long exactly has it been since your Pac stopped eating?

mzajmyers

Humidity and temp are normal (75-80% and about 78-80 degrees). He hasn't been eating for about three weeks. He ate one cricket last week and that was it. I'm really worried!

Nationality
    [United States]

Humidity and temp are normal (75-80% and about 78-80 degrees). He hasn't been eating for about three weeks. He ate one cricket last week and that was it. I'm really worried!
    Its time to force feed. It has been too long and you may not be able to tell your Pac has lost weight due to water holding weight. If they are well hydrated they will look fat but it is just water. 3 weeks is too long. You must gently open your Pacs mouth with a credit card/shopper card/plastic spoon and have the food item ready in your other hand and place it in your frogs mouth. The frog will do the rest. It may take a few times but be patient and you'll get it. This is stressful for the frog too but is a must or your frog will starve to death. Any questions just ask. Dust the food with the appropriet vitamines/calcium dust and place it in the frogs mouthm keep us posted.

BG

Grif you have a very good point. He has no nutrients and water has none. This transaction affected his appetite. You have to get him going again.The way you kept him was probably very different the way he was kept during the moving to a temporary housing.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Its time to force feed. It has been too long and you may not be able to tell your Pac has lost weight due to water holding weight. If they are well hydrated they will look fat but it is just water. 3 weeks is too long. You must gently open your Pacs mouth with a credit card/shopper card/plastic spoon and have the food item ready in your other hand and place it in your frogs mouth. The frog will do the rest. It may take a few times but be patient and you'll get it. This is stressful for the frog too but is a must or your frog will starve to death. Any questions just ask. Dust the food with the appropriet vitamines/calcium dust and place it in the frogs mouthm keep us posted.

7. This member thanks BG for this post:

mzajmyers

Thanks for the advice! I'll try anything for my little buddy! I will get back to you on how it goes.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the advice! I'll try anything for my little buddy! I will get back to you on how it goes.
    Your very welcome and I hope that your frog recovers.

mzajmyers

Hey all,

Sorry it has been a while since i have updated you. I took your advice and force fed. He was not a happy camper! He did eat though. I changed his bedding, bought him a new soaking dish and hideout, and bought some new plants to add to his collection. I beagan to slowly feed him one cricket at a time pushing the cricket toward his face until he would finally snatch it up. He seems to be doing much better now, back to eating his 3-4 a night. Thanks for the advice!

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey all,

Sorry it has been a while since i have updated you. I took your advice and force fed. He was not a happy camper! He did eat though. I changed his bedding, bought him a new soaking dish and hideout, and bought some new plants to add to his collection. I beagan to slowly feed him one cricket at a time pushing the cricket toward his face until he would finally snatch it up. He seems to be doing much better now, back to eating his 3-4 a night. Thanks for the advice!
    I am so glad to hear that!! And thank you for updating us! Often times people post questions asking about sick frogs but then never respond back. So we don't know if the frog lived or not or whether our advice helped. I know force feeding is stressful but it can save the frog's life. I remember when I went through that with one of my frogs; the first time she ate on her own again I was so happy I almost cried. Again, I am very happy to hear that your buddy is well on his way to recovery!

dsmalex97

Glad to hear everything is going back to normal for you!

It's definitely a great feeling seeing them back to their normal behavior. Keep us updated with him, we love pictures here so feel free to make a thread on the little guy!

Take care!

Thread Information