Thread: Pothos Plant Question?

JennTigercat

Question Pothos Plant Question?

I would like to get some live plants to use in the terrarium that I am building for my milk frogs when they are bigger. I have read from many people that pothos are a good plant to use and are very hard to kill. which is good cause I can kill plants easily. What kind of lighting do they need? also can they be kept in a small plant pot so that I can remove them easily when cleaning their enclosure? Same questions go for bromeliads, cause I would love to put a couple of those in there as well. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BG

Default Re: Pothos Plant Question?

Name:  IMG_0397.jpg
Views: 6130
Size:  140.1 KBPothos are great. Low light,water two three times a week. Do not allow to stand in water. temp 60-90.I put mine on the top so it can cascade to the bottom of terrarium. Look at the top left of terrarium.

If you put pothos low in the vivarium it will climb, even up glass. I find a climbing pothos tends to have larger leaves than hanging ones. Pothos cuttings will also root very easily in a small glass of water if you want to have some back up plants.

I can't help with bromeliads, but I'll suggest you take a look at the various sansevierias, or snake plants. They can handle very low light, don't mind being cramped in a small pot, take low water (good if you keep it potted), are also nearly invincible and have very sturdy leaves that are good for bigger frogs.

Badger

I'm putting some Pothos in my new viv. I already have some cuttings growing and will be getting some more soon...They are very hard to kill and like previously stated will climb and cascade down. Big leaves too, and strong.

JennTigercat

good to know will definitely be getting some. I am using a twenty gallon aquarium. I know that it isn't as tall unless i turn it vertical but they will have plenty to climb on. It's what I have and I don't have the 100 dollars to by a tall terrarium at the moment. This is what I have so far.

Name:  100_9924.jpg
Views: 2872
Size:  99.7 KB

The one plant in there is fake. I plan on putting pothos on the back and maybe one in front and letting them take over

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

About the pothos; you really can't overwater it since you can grow it directly in water. And most importantly, it's epithytical, so if you have a misting or fogging system, you don't need to water it at all. I never do, it absorbs enough moist through the air to thrive and grow like crazy. Of course, if you have a dry enviorment, it might not like it.

Unfortunatly, plant store often have no idea what pothos is capable of. They threat pothos like an "ordinary" potted plant, but it's capable of so much more.

JennTigercat

I do live where it is dry but mist their tank daily as well as when I move them into the 20 gallon I will cover half the lid with plastic wrap so that the humidity stays in there better.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

With daily misting I can almost promise you that they will thrive without much watering, especially after the get some air roots and alot of leaves.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

one of my pothos vines climbed the exo terra rock wall and took root in it !

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sajane View Post
    one of my pothos vines climbed the exo terra rock wall and took root in it !
    Yes, this happens alot. My pothos have roots attached to everything. Background, mangrove, vines, waterfall, other plants, substrate and every decore I have. That's why they're so good for tree frogs, they add so much space, not just along the walls but in the entire tank.

Thread Information