Thread: Are Comets a bad feeder fish to give your Pac?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Are Comets a bad feeder fish to give your Pac?

I was just wandering if they were one of the bad feeder fish to give Pacmans even as just a treat? I've never tried feeder fish before . Wanted to try one out. Anyone know if its a good fish or not?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BG

Default Re: Are Comets a bad feeder fish to give your Pac?

Gold fish have paresites. Rosies are better. Any type of minnow is good once in a while. I gave all my mouthwithlegs large minnows last night for dinner. They went to war.

4. This member thanks BG for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    Gold fish have paresites. Rosies are better. Any type of minnow is good once in a while. I gave all my mouthwithlegs large minnows last night for dinner. They went to war.
    Nice! I don't know a lot about the feeder fish. I do know to stay away from gold fish. I was going to ge some feeder fish tonight but I didn't. Ill get some tomorrow or Friday and try them out.

IvoryReptiles

We stay away from the rosies too.....we use either Molly or Guppy fishies to feed our Pacs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah, I would definatetly avoid goldfish, no question there. They are very high in fats and are just overall not very healthy. Not to mention parasites. In most cases I would also avoid rosies. They are often cramped into a verry small tank in the hundreds. This obviously in most cases will lead to parasites, sickness, ammonia poisoning, and death.

I have heard that some stores (like most Petsmarts) actually have all the tanks on the same water all running through a very large sump in the back room. This means that the softwater tetra are on the same water with the hardwater African Cichlids, which I think is pretty sad. So sometimes the overstocked minnows have just a little bit worse water quality than the understalked guppy tank.

I agree with Jessica, though. You are paying a little bit more, but livebearers like mollies and guppies are usually better cared for, being potential pet fish.

BG

In general big chain stores are a mess when it comes to fish. Yea they all share the same water. Its a closed loop system. One wet/dry filter per unit,one unit ,8-12 tanks Yup the sad part is Oscars share the same water with African cichlids. They keep their water Ph 7.0. No one is a lowed to add any thing in the tank except of the higher up managers that come once a week to check the tanks. The fish get ich and have to wait for the district managers to come and add the treatment. Not all are the stores are the same but some stores are a nightmare.

Guenhwyvar

I've been raising fish for over a year now and my mom has since i was little, maybe 19yr or so. Mollies are known to carry parasites and responsible fish hobbyists never put them directly into their tanks, but in a quarantine tank first. I wouldn't trust mollies, they're almost as dirty as goldfish.

10. This member thanks Guenhwyvar for this post:

Thread Information