Thread: Pacman frog NOT EATING!!!

Camden

Default Pacman frog NOT EATING!!!

My frog is not eating at all.
    At first I offered worms and crickets. I figured sure, hes not hungry he might be a big stressed, i left him alone for 3 days straight, did nothing but misted his substrate and changed his water.
    Tonight I offered a pre-killed frozen fuzzy (dethawed of course)
    and nothing. I felt his skin and he felt a big dehydrated. I dont understand HOW though!! He cant be over-heating, the heat pad is only 4 wats and its on the side, I use no heating lamps at all. The temperature and humidity gauges have stayed perfect!!
    WHAT IS WRONG!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman frog NOT EATING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Camden View Post
    At first I offered worms and crickets. I figured sure, hes not hungry he might be a big stressed, i left him alone for 3 days straight, did nothing but misted his substrate and changed his water.
    Tonight I offered a pre-killed frozen fuzzy (dethawed of course)
    and nothing. I felt his skin and he felt a big dehydrated. I dont understand HOW though!! He cant be over-heating, the heat pad is only 4 wats and its on the side, I use no heating lamps at all. The temperature and humidity gauges have stayed perfect!!
    WHAT IS WRONG!
    You are using de-chlorinated water right? Any other symtoms or odd behavior? How long has it been since he/she has eaten? Have you removed the hind legs of the crickets that you try and feed him/her? Youu can mist with distilled water but can't use it for soaking. Do you use distilled for misting? Don't spray your frog with distilled either just the walls of the enclosure and substrate. Could try soaking your frog in luke warm water for a few minutes. Make sure its not too deep. They don't swim well. Half the height of the frog is as deep as you need. Try crickets with the hind jumping legs removed and drop them right in front of him/her. Make sure you don't have any bright lights on. You may have a secret eater. If your frog doesn't eat soon and starts to lose weight you will have to force feed him/her. Make sure the food items you offer aren't too big or the frog won't eat them. Keep us posted.

Camden

I use fresh spring water for every water that comes in contact with him. No other symptoms of odd behavior, ill try the crickets. thanks grif.

Tim Kennedy

We also had this problem with our Fantasy Frog Raoul. For months he had been totally unresponsive even as spring turned to summer. We also had a tortoise that wouldn't eat and for her the vet suggested a product called Reptiboost, which is a white powder, you dissolve a spoon of it in some warm water and leave the little guy or girl in it for a while. You need to rinse them off afterwards though, as it is biological. Anyway I tried it on Raoul and an outer skin immediately rolled off him and now he is as right as rain, and he has just eaten his first mouse in months! It seems to be working on the tortoise too.

Quote Originally Posted by Camden View Post
    At first I offered worms and crickets. I figured sure, hes not hungry he might be a big stressed, i left him alone .........
    WHAT IS WRONG!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kennedy View Post
    We also had this problem with our Fantasy Frog Raoul. For months he had been totally unresponsive even as spring turned to summer. We also had a tortoise that wouldn't eat and for her the vet suggested a product called Reptiboost, which is a white powder, you dissolve a spoon of it in some warm water and leave the little guy or girl in it for a while. You need to rinse them off afterwards though, as it is biological. Anyway I tried it on Raoul and an outer skin immediately rolled off him and now he is as right as rain, and he has just eaten his first mouse in months! It seems to be working on the tortoise too.
    Sounds like Raoul was aestivating. They do not eat during Aestivation. They shed several layers of skin and form a caccoon to hold in water and they live off of stored body fat. This is their dry season dormancy period.

jrsmom

My Kermit (i know, my 9 yr old named him) has stopped eating too. For Christmas, we moved him from a 2 gal fish tank to a 10gal terrarium. I don't think he has eaten since. I have tried to spray his moss every time I go by, I use dechlorinated drops in my water mix. Before he moved, he was eating 3-4 large crickets every other day. I did read somewhere that the substrate needs to be on the other side of the heating pad-I need to change that because right now his substrate is on the same side as the heating pad. I thought he liked it that way because he's always buried. I thought it was a humidity issue but now I'm even more confused. Should I use a different lid on the terrarium? It's a screen- I usually have a 5w day bulb resting on top of it. Am I giving him too much heat/light?

clue7up

Default Pacman frog NOT EATING!!!

1. He may need to get used to the new enclosure for a while, try covering the 3 sides to reduce the stress.

2. Move the heating pad to the other side.

3. How long do you give him the light a day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrsmom

I was giving him daylight as long as we had daylight- from about 8ish am to 5ish pm. He's only had the bulb for a few days and it blew. I have to actually pick up a new one this weekend. If I move the substrate to the other side, do I put the water over the heating pad then? The terrarium instructions advised that there needed to be a warm and cool zone and the water needed to be in the cool zone.

Thread Information