Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby albino not moving..HELP

cowbully

Default Baby albino not moving..HELP

HI we have a baby albino pacman that weve had for a couple of months.. everything has been great with him/her... bout the size of a half dollar now and come home from work today and he is laying in water dish..no movement.. can still see a heartbeat slight lung movement.. no throat movement...we dont know what happened.. i checked his mouth to see if there is anything lodge but no there is not... i put him in a dish of warm water under a lamp to see if he will come back...

any ideas of what it could be.... its like its playing possum...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Baby albino not moving..HELP

Quote Originally Posted by cowbully View Post
    HI we have a baby albino pacman that weve had for a couple of months.. everything has been great with him/her... bout the size of a half dollar now and come home from work today and he is laying in water dish..no movement.. can still see a heartbeat slight lung movement.. no throat movement...we dont know what happened.. i checked his mouth to see if there is anything lodge but no there is not... i put him in a dish of warm water under a lamp to see if he will come back...

any ideas of what it could be.... its like its playing possum...
    What kind of substrate do you use? What are the temps in the enclosure and what are the humidity levels? Are the eyes open and clear? When you opened the mouth di the frog close it on its own? Do you use de-chlorinated water? Any multivitamins and calcium dust used with its food? Explain in detail post pics. Are the eyes reactive to light?

cowbully

We use coco fiber.... temps during the day are 85-* day 78-80* night. humidity 60-65% no his mouth did not close.. eyes are clear....we use the rep cal plus vitamin d for his vitamins..... his eyes are not reactive... his heart is still beating.. no breathing.. not understanding.

BG

Can we see a pic of setup please.

cowbully

sure.. stand by

Nationality
    [United States]

We use coco fiber.... temps during the day are 85-* day 78-80* night. humidity 60-65% no his mouth did not close.. eyes are clear....we use the rep cal plus vitamin d for his vitamins..... his eyes are not reactive... his heart is still beating.. no breathing.. not understanding.
    This is new to me. Are you sure there is a heartbeat? You said the frog was breathing but no throat movement. Humidity should be 80, but I'm not sure what this could be.

cowbully

here is poor little him.. and his cage. his soaking dish is under the green plant which was his favorite spot and where we found him
    Attached Images Attached Images   

cowbully

yes heart is still beating as we speak but no throat movement what so ever and now there is no lung movement

Nationality
    [United States]

here is poor little him.. and his cage. his soaking dish is under the green plant which was his favorite spot and where we found him
    Could estivation(hibernation) have taken place here? George you got any ideas? Setuup looks fine. Toxing out maybe?

cowbully

im gone leave him under the night heat lamp and little bit of soaking water tonight to see if anything good or bad occurs....

IvoryReptiles

You never answered whether or not you use de-chlorinated water in his enclosure & soaking dish.
    Looks like chlorine toxicity or toxing out. If it were aestivation, he would be covered in a "shell" of skin.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by IvoryReptiles View Post
    You never answered whether or not you use de-chlorinated water in his enclosure & soaking dish.
    Looks like chlorine toxicity or toxing out. If it were aestivation, he would be covered in a "shell" of skin.
    That's what I thought but never heard it this advanced.

cowbully

oh sorry. no we dont. we have well water. not city water. i know it has minerals in it but no chlorine. we use that for all our critters.

Sublime

Hm, it seems as though your frog may have become weak and he cannot handle the parasite load in his intestines. Has he been eating regularly? Where does his food come from? You should also be using a multivitamin once a week to get some essential vitamins they need in order to function, not just D3 that comes in some calcium supplements.

I would have a vet ready, just in case you need to take him in soon if things get worse. Make sure his water is 'warm' and dechlorinated like people have mentioned above me. You could try soaking him in some Pedialyte (Electrolyte solution) to bring around unresponsive behavior, i.e. lethargic. Have you noticed him being stressed lately; either caused by handling, noise level, messy enclosure.

Keep him warm in a quiet place, water accessible, and clean until further notice. Don't want any bacterial or fungi buildups from messy enclosures, let him work up his strength. Load him up with a multivitamin the next time you can get him to eat.

I would get some of this on hand until recommended to treat with this: Flagyl (Metronidazole)

Nationality
    [United States]

oh sorry. no we dont. we have well water. not city water. i know it has minerals in it but no chlorine. we use that for all our critters.
    Just because it doesn't have chlorine and isn't city water doesn't mean its safe for your frog. It still gets treated by chemicals and will contain them from ground water and runoff. Also I'm sure your home has some kind of treatment system that makes the water safe for you to drink. The system I believe you still have to buy a water conditioner to treat the water and make it safe for the frog. Since its well water it probably just took longer for toxins and chemicals to build up in the frogs system. You need the conditioner as soon as possible. I would take the frog out of that water. It may just be the cause of the problem.

BG

Maybe the well is contaminated. Its ground water,and everything leaks in to the well water. Do you drink this well water? He looks drained. That is not a normal position. looks like he has a problem standing on his feet. He doesn't look he's under weight.

Sublime

Yes, it's either displaying toxic symptoms or developing copious amounts of parasites in the intestines if your pacman has become weak or stressed out. Also your frog could of developed a bacterial disease, pathogens attack the bloodstream (Brought on by stressful, messy conditions). Even if the water doesn't have chlorine it could have ammonia or other chloramines which are harmful to your frog absorbed through their skin. Will lead to illness, if there's enough buildup in their system.

Sublime

More than likely, just a chemical toxicity found in your untreated well water that your frog has been exposed to for too long. Nitrites, chlorine, ammonia, chloramines, heavy amounts of metal traces.

cowbully

sorry it took so long to get back.. he has passed unfortunatly.....im really sorry to say... our family is upset... our water has no conditioiner it is straight from ground at 287 feet. i understand that everyone is telling me to use distilled water or dechorinated water and we will have to get some. we never had any incidents like this before. im sorry

BG

Have that water analyzed. You can't afford to loose another frog!!!!!! Sorry for your loss!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information