Thread: My firebellied toad is half pacman frog?

mafoo

Default My firebellied toad is half pacman frog?

since yesterday my firebellied toad has been burrowing himself inside the moss underneath a foam log and its starting to worry me because hes not coming out. hes been under there for 2 days and he keep burrowing himself in the moss cause i see the moss shaking and when i checked under there he was half burried into the moss just like you would see in a pacman frog. my other firebellied toad that lives with him is normal so idk whats up with him! ive had him for 1-2 months and hes only done this once and that was for about an hour, and this time its for much longer. he might have went into his water once or twice but not for long and 95% of the time hes under there hiding. should i get him out from under there or just leave him be and do things on his own?!?!?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My firebellied toad is half pacman frog?

It sounds to me like you're not providing the correct temperature and humidity requirements of the toads. What are the conditions in the terrarium.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

mafoo

humidity is 35% right now and its usualy close to that and temperature is 23.C or 65.F and hes not hiding to much anymore but most of the time he is still hiding in a corner and not being active like the other one. one day he was active and that was a day before a storm so that explains that. i think he is eating because the crickets are disapearing fast and i know 1 frog cant eat that much. also i use the glass bowl trick so i know if the crickets are dieing or getting eaten

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by mafoo View Post
    humidity is 35% right now and its usualy close to that and temperature is 23.C or 65.F and hes not hiding to much anymore but most of the time he is still hiding in a corner and not being active like the other one. one day he was active and that was a day before a storm so that explains that. i think he is eating because the crickets are disapearing fast and i know 1 frog cant eat that much. also i use the glass bowl trick so i know if the crickets are dieing or getting eaten
    Your humidity is way too low, should be 75 to 90%. Your temperatures should be 70 to 80F, 65 is a bit too low for them to be "comfortable". Can you post a photo of their set-up for further reference?

mafoo

ok im going to give the tank a good misting and put the heat mat on and see what that does. it just scares me with the heatmat because my frog keeps hiding right beside the glass where the heatmat is, so im probaly going to move it up in a second. also heres a picture of my setup just like you wanted!

Poly

Put the heat mat under the tank, this will stop the toad from burning it's self.
    For now, I would remove the light, until you can get the humidity back up to an adiquate level. I know FBT's like to occasionally bask, but they can certainly live without the light for a while.

That lid you have isn't helping either, a screen lid for a high humidity tank just won't work, try getting another lid such as an aquarium hood (with built in light, for a light use a Zoo-Med Nature sunlight bulb), this will hold the humidity much better.

Also, for FBT's you want more of an aquitic set-up, the set-up you have is "okay" but not great for firebellies. Try a 60-40 setup, 60% land and 40% water actually using the tank to retain the water rather than a bowl, just take a look at some of the terrariums people on this site have for firebellies, and you will see what I mean.

~Royce

mafoo

that has been my plan on what to do for a long time just i dont got the money to set up something like that and the tank i got isnt meant to hold water so i got it planned that ill get that as a christmas present from my parents for sure. ill look into the aquarium hood next time im in the pet store and ill just hope they have one! thanks for the help!

missfrogger

there's ways around spending a whole lot on a fbt setup. a 10g tank at petsmart is around $13, one with an aquarium lid i think is in the $20 range. a piece of plexiglass is under $5 (i'm rounding up cause i don't remember exactly) at lowe's, aquarium sealant i think is under $10 (again, rounding up).

you could also check on craigslist in your area - ours usually has some pretty good deals for tanks.

Poly

Best bet to find a cheap aquarium, try Kijiji.

For a lid, you can buy a small piece of plexiglass and drill holes in it for ventilation. They hold the humidity exceptionally well, and are cheap and easy to make, all you need to do is...:

Buy a small piece of plexiglass. Use you screen as a "template for the new lid, draw the outline of the old lid onto the plexiglass. Then use a jig or reciprocating saw (if you use a skill saw, it shatters the plexiglass) to then cut it out along the outline. Once cut out (make sure it fits, if not, use a small rotary grinder to file it down) drill 20-40 holes in it (I spaced my holes 2.5" apart) then your done!

~Royce

mafoo

thanks for the help guys but before i start doing that stuff im probaly going to check my pet store out for lids cause last time i checked they had good ones for cheap. misted the tank yesterday and my firebellys got really active so im pretty sure you got it right about all this so thanks again!

Thread Information