Thread: How do I control the humidity in my frogs tank?

Camden

Default How do I control the humidity in my frogs tank?

Hi there, new frog owner here, you've probably seen me around as this website is my main source of information.
    I'm going to petco tomorrow (Don't worry, I didn't buy my frog there, he was bought at an actual reptile store)
    and I'm going to pick up some stuff, a humidity gauge, temperature gauge, and a new lighting fixture if they have a good one.

and it got me thinking, if the humidity is too low or high in his tank, how would I lower it? (I dont think it being too high will be a problem.)

Also, if I do get a lighting fixture I'd like to have one with a dimmer or at least a timer. What kind of bulb should I get?

Thank you!

- Camden

2. This member thanks Camden for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: How do I control the humidity in my frogs tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Camden View Post
    and it got me thinking, if the humidity is too low or high in his tank, how would I lower it? (I dont think it being too high will be a problem.)
    A too high humidity is rarely a problem, but you can always lower it by adding a small fan (computer fan) for example.

Too low humidity can be fixed with several actions. Misting more, contain the moisture with a partially covered top, adding a waterfall (although waterfall only raise the humidity slightly) and adding a lot of live plants. From my personal experience, live plants are really good at keeping the humidity level stable.

Also, if I do get a lighting fixture I'd like to have one with a dimmer or at least a timer. What kind of bulb should I get?
    You can use a timer with virtually any light source and there's really no reason not to. A dimmer, however, can not be used with fluorescent light of any kind (unless you build your own or the Exo-Terra Light cycle unit).

And most importantly, have a look at the end of this page and use the search. There are hundreds of threads on how to maintain humidity. Here's a good one from SledgeMonkey:
    http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...trol-101-a.htm

Camden

Thanks Martin! Is there any certain light that would be too bright though?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Camden View Post
    Thanks Martin! Is there any certain light that would be too bright though?
    NO florescent lights! Also do not go above 50 watts. I like to use lights with a dimmer switch so I can tweak the temp to get it just right. They don't cost much and are definitely worth it.

Nationality
    [United States]

JIf you get a standard basking light with a concentrated beam and mirror reflector built in the bulb like Zoo Med makes which is a good bulb and I use it because since it has a concentrated beam you don't have to turn the light up high with the dimmer lamp. Heat and light are good from these. Youcan also get a daylight blue bulb which is full spectrum light. They don't have to have full spectrum light though and you do have to put the dimmer turned up higher than the concentrated bulb by Zoo Med. So the light isn't shining on the frog get a fake plant with wide leaves and place it under where the light shines down so your frog if it want can shade from the light uner the fake plant.

Nationality
    [United States]

If you're concerned about humidity dropping and you want it to stay exactly where you want and need it buy the Zoo Med Repti-fogger which is a terrarium humidifier for $60.00 and buy the Zoo Med Hygrotherm then hook the fogger up to the Hygrotherm. The Hygrotherm is a temp/humidity control unit that keeps the atmosphere in the terrarium exactly where you want I have both of these and they work very well. You just program the hygrotherm and it will save your settings and turn on the humidifier when the humidity drops. It can also control heat units like lights and UTH. The hygrother runs from60 to 70 dollars but is good to have. Makes it almost entirely automated.

Jcal

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    NO florescent lights! Also do not go above 50 watts. I like to use lights with a dimmer switch so I can tweak the temp to get it just right. They don't cost much and are definitely worth it.
    Why not go above 50 watts? If the tank is large enough it might be needed.

ConVexity

Just don't go 50 or higher if you have a smaller tank

eyesthatrock

ViperJr
    i have a pacman frog and i was thinking on put on a small computer fan if thats a good idea to raise the humidity slightly, because its to hot in her tank, what do u think on the computer fan

Thread Information