Thread: Need Advice - Please

Brokenplanet

Default Need Advice - Please

During Hurricane Irene we were clearing the furniture from the yard, when i closed a chair a tiny frog popped out from under the handle.
    Very excited, I picked him up to admire him and noticed his little toes on his back legs were bleeding, he started fading and was stressed.
    Did not look like he would not make it, I read that most injured frogs in nature don't.
    Feeling devastated as I have owned and raised frogs majority of my life because I absolutely love them, I could not leave him there to die and he probably would have, he could barely jump..
    Its a norther spring peeper.

I placed him at the bottom of a plant, outside while I created a habitat for him in a tank, said to myself if he's still there when its ready I was meant to fix him.
    The "habitat" is quite like a forest floor, moist, substrate, moss, etc...with plants/branches for climbing & a shallow water hole.
    He was still there and as I went to walk in my back door (Second floor deck and it was dark out) I noticed something on the bottom of my door.
    It was, another frog. Same type. Its not uncommon to see frogs here in NY but have never seen two in a day/ month/ year! let alone one on my deck in the 10 years I've lived here.
    So I picked him up. Perhaps he was the comfort the other froggie needed. I took it as another sign. The uninjured frog was healthy & started eating/feasting immediately.
    The injured frog was not eating but started looking less stressed so i left him alone for the night.

By the next day his poor little leg had become giant/ swollen and red but he seemed less stressed
    Over the next few days I cleaned it and nursed it with a wash of water( placed some room temperature water in the bottom of a cup and had him on the side of the cup gently turning the cup to let the water wash off the substrate. )Then i used a moist q-tip (so the fuzzies don't come off), with a small amount of bacitracin (if you try this make sure it does NOT have a pain killer in it, it will kill it) and very gently applied a tiny bit onto the area. (his leg is so small only a tiny bit is needed, also so it doesn't weigh it down making it harder for him to move.) and then let him go hide in his habitat... a couple days later, both the red was swelling was gone. He is eating and being froggie I could not be more happy. (I am so glad i decided to do this this, and hope this info helps someone!)

My question is this.... My goal was to try to nurture him back to health, heal the wound and make sure he can jump and catch food on his own.
    Which I've done. I fully planned to let them both go as soon as he healed and could eat well on his own.
    He looks and seems all better but it's already getting cold here around 60's - 70 during the day and nights 50.
    I know the spring peepers are able to freeze and hibernate but I really hate to let them go when already cold out there and not give them much time to find a place to hibernate.

They seem pretty happy so far but my understanding is that this type of frog does not typically do well in captivity.
    I would like to set them free, and was about to but just read that you should not let captive frogs go if you've had them for a while.
    I've had them since August 27th. Is that a while? Between the Weather and duration in captivity, do you think they would survive if set free or do you think its better to keep them at this point?
    I really did not plan to keep them, my frogs were always purchased/ saved from pet stores, not found outside. Knowing we have alot of snakes and birds here is not helping me in deciding what is best for them. Any advice on what the best thing to do here would be? Please..and Thank you for reading

Hugs,
    Lisa

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Need Advice - Please

I am definitely not the one to provide advice here since I would probably keep them or find someone who has a long term commitment to keeping frogs and turn the frogs over to them.
    Since they are wild caught, and only in your care for a little over a month, they should be fine setting free.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

The temperature should be fine to release them if you want. I found a couple of Peepers outside here today (and many other frogs) and I'm at a similar temperature as you (I'm in Ontario). You haven't had them for long, so I don't think that's a worry either. As long as they haven't come in contact with any foreign froggy diseases from other frogs you may own, I can't see a problem.

You're right that injured frogs don't typically make it in the wild, the slowest get eaten so good for you for helping the little injured dude out and you can feel good about sending them on their way if that's what you choose. I'd probably be a sucker like Don and end up keeping the formerly injured one at least (I have a 3 legged Gray treefrog that I couldn't turn down). Only keep them if you are prepared to house and care for them for life, but I'm sure you already know that.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Most US states don't look favorably on releasing wildlife back into the wild. Personally I think you should be alright provided you don't have other frogs and toads in your home. From the point of view of temperature, you've already been given sound advice.

One point though - frogs are not social animals. They don't get comfort from other frogs. The only time these animals come together is to breed.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

BG

They weather in the past two days and night were great for frogs. Tonight im up just seating and enjoying the night with them out side. You can hear them calling..im in heaven.

Nationality
    [United States]

George

I'm on LI - I heard them last week ! Actually it was dusk, we were walking. I even heard them in my own yard and I'm near the village. Never saw one though !
    I hope the ridiculous , so called "safe" mosquito spraying doesn't cause their demise, as it has most definitely has affected the butterflies.

My co-worker, in Northport, sees them tree frogs everyday, all summer ( typically on the screen door- chasing the bugs) She is in a much more wooded area.

The tree frogs in the Catskills are awesome! Also, there are little toads and newts on the ground ; so plentiful in the woods ( in the middle of the day ) you have to be careful where you walk.. I have seen HUGE bullfrogs there, too. So large they look fake! So nice.....
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Brokenplanet

Hey thank you so much for the feedback! I currently don't have any other frogs, its funny because I always have and a few years ago
    decided, no more after my last one died (had him for like 10 years!) i took out my 30 gallon terrarium, and here I am again with one!

Today is definitely cooler than the two nice days we had over the weekend. We are on a dead end wooded block and there is a pond in the woods so I'm sure they came from over there, thats where i was going to set them free. One of my main concerns was that one of these little guys is not very fast, especially the friend, he's a little pig and loves to eat. He'd make a tasty snack for a bird or snake, which we have plenty of. I know I wouldn't know if it happened but just the thought of it!....

Also do you think I've spoiled them with an abundance of food? ACK I'm so torn!

I did not want to keep them but maybe I will, If i do I will definitely take care of them for the duration of their life.
    UncleChester, you have a 3 legged gray!? I didnt know they could survive, well he probably wouldnt have in the wild huh, Any pictures?

If i do keep them, do any of you have experience with these peepers? What kind of heating/ lighting if any is needed? I've been keeping them as realistically close
    to their natural environment as possible, including opening the window & giving fresh air & sounds (does sound like heaven!) but not sure what to do for them for winter.

Thanks so much!

BG

it has been a wild frog month in the tristate area. Lots of reports from Jersey. They are there. They are just too hard to find. It sounds like a comeback. I just hope in the next ten years the pesticides and real estate don't kill them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Brokenplanet View Post
    He'd make a tasty snack for a bird or snake, which we have plenty of. I know I wouldn't know if it happened but just the thought of it!....
    It may be sad to think about, but they are made to be pretty disposable in the wild. You don't have a critter that can lay 1000 eggs at a time have even a significant percentage of it's young make it to adulthood without quickly being overrun with them. It's hard to think that way with one you have a vested interest in though

UncleChester, you have a 3 legged gray!? I didnt know they could survive, well he probably wouldnt have in the wild huh, Any pictures?
    Picture attached below. He was wee then (it's from a year ago). I thought he would grow up with just a messed up hand, but it looks like his entire arm hasn't grown at all since I've had him (the rest of him has), so it's pretty useless now. He hops around well, but is noticeably worse at climbing and would likely have been snake bait in the wild (good chance of that for a healthy one too). I've seen many other messed up young frogs and have resisted the urge to take them in though. I have a soft spot for Grays.

If i do keep them, do any of you have experience with these peepers? What kind of heating/ lighting if any is needed? I've been keeping them as realistically close
    to their natural environment as possible, including opening the window & giving fresh air & sounds (does sound like heaven!) but not sure what to do for them for winter.
    I've never kept them, I'm somewhat concerned at their volume when calling to try. They'd be fine with no heating (room temperature is fine) or special lights, and you need a supply of small food items. There are a couple members here who do have some and will hopefully chime in with more detail.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information