Thread: ACF with Black Skirted Tetras

artes

Default ACF with Black Skirted Tetras

It seems ACFs and Black Skirted Tetras can live together in happy harmony. I have had a school of 5 tetras living with two ACFs for 8 months in a 20 gallon high tank. The frogs haven't even offered to nip at the fish from what I've seen. The tetras are at their adult size now, as are my frogs. I feed flake food and Repti Sticks once or twice a day, depending on if they indicate if they want food at night (and they do). The flake food is for the tetras, although they occasionally pick at the sticks as well. I also give them treats of beefheart, brine shrimp, and bloodworms. They have two filters made for 30 gallon tanks to help the water stay pristine, and they have a couple very large Water Wisteria plants. There is a pot turned sideways for a hide, but no one ever uses it.

I just thought I would share that in case someone else actually wanted to try fish with their froggies.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

artes

Default Re: ACF with Black Skirted Tetras

Pix or it didn't happen!

I just thought this photo was cute, showing off Solar's little belly.

Those were all taken about 5 minutes ago.

Wojtas

Nice tank.Natural sand and live plants...

BG

Artes,its nice to see a planted aquarium. Since i just spent a week finishing my 150 gal neon tetra roseline shark lushly planted aquarium. Its so nice to watch.

artes

Thank you. My frogs and fish seem to like it as well. I love planted tanks - all of my fish tanks have some form of plants. The plants in my 75 gallon keep getting munched on by my fish though. >_<

Edit: Those goofy blue gravel pieces are there because the filter hits there, and kept knocking sand away. I got tired of staring at the glass, so I poured the gravel there to help anchor down what sand was left, and to keep something there. It looks kinda goofy, but I got to where I kind of like the pop of color.

MonsterPyxie

thats a lot of filtering muscle for only a 20gal tank!

I like the set up. Been really thinking about getting some ACF's.

artes

I really hate vacuuming tanks. I can't ever get those stupid pain in the #$!@%@#%!#%$^ vacuums to work right, and I finally got tired of using it. So, I came up with a great solution... no vacuuming required for those things! I just randomly stir the water and those filters kill the need for that son of a @#!$#$!$%!@% vacuum.

MonsterPyxie

lol, I detect some hostility bud.

what brand filters are they?

I have a cheap walmart filter in my moon crab tank, and its not cutting it. water is all slimy, and ****.

artes

Maybe a touch of hostility. Did I mention I really hate gravel vacuums? My husband used to have hours of laughs watching me try to use it.

They're cheap wal-mart filters, but apparently two of them per tank work great. >_> If the water is slimy, its because the water isn't getting stirred enough. Try either a) putting an air stone on the other side of the tank from the filter, or b) putting a small, flat rock where the water comes out of the filter. It will split the water flow into two, which should help stir the water more.

MonsterPyxie

thanks for the tips.

Broke down and bought a better filter. Found one on amazon on sale with free 2 day shipping. so it should work much better. Higher end brand, and such. The walmart one was barley working, so I think the pump was just dying. Hopefully works good, was $15.

the crabs are in a 20gal long, with only probably 5 gallons of water max in there, so it should hopefully have no problem keeping the water as clean as yours!

artes

Neat! Let me know how it works. I have a couple filters in other tanks that are starting to go out, and if yours works well, maybe I'll replace those instead.

MonsterPyxie

Quote Originally Posted by artes View Post
    Neat! Let me know how it works. I have a couple filters in other tanks that are starting to go out, and if yours works well, maybe I'll replace those instead.
    for sure.

here is the one I got:
    Amazon.com: Cascade® 400 - 110 gph - Up to 20 Gallons, UL Approved: Home & Garden

artes

I ordered myself a couple to replace my filters that were going out. I really like them. They seem to be keeping my water happy. Thanks for the link - without that, I would have just gotten cheap walmart filters to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterPyxie View Post

MonsterPyxie

Quote Originally Posted by artes View Post
    I ordered myself a couple to replace my filters that were going out. I really like them. They seem to be keeping my water happy. Thanks for the link - without that, I would have just gotten cheap walmart filters to replace.
    no problem! Mine is working great for my crab, the filter has much more power then I was expecting. The little rain bar is fun to set up too!

Jakub T

I had four Black Skirted Tetras with my young clawed frogs and all fish have been eaten within two weeks :>

artes

That's odd. Mine have been living together for well over a year now.

Nationality
    [United States]

I was given a "defective" acf, missing both front legs. Initially it lived in a 50g with dwarf africans and assorted fish. Until it grew large enough to become a threat to the other inhabitants. It was then move to live with medium to large goldfish. Until one day, I found that the ACF had bitten an eye off of a black moore goldfish. Admittedly, goldfish are not know for brains. The frog was again moved into a 30g with 6 african knives, heavily planted with lots of caves. This combination appears to work well, both eating frozen blood worms and staying our of each other's way. Although I don't think that they would "hunt" for a fish, if one gets too close.... I have also seen a ACF, simply sitting on the botton of a 90g tank, a feeder goldfish swimming by to escape an oscar bumped into the hand of the ACF, and just that fast the goldfish was swallowed. Truthfully, I would not trust them, long term, with any fish that could possibly fit into their mouths.

Thread Information