Thread: Can anyone help with an ID?

sebastianbawn

Default Can anyone help with an ID?

Hi, being new to the forum I was hoping I may be able to get someone to give some id's on my frog pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Seb
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Can anyone help with an ID?

I am not sure on any of these. I can probably place them in families, but make a positive ID, at least not at the moment. Some of them have a familiar look, but again, I can't make a positive ID at this time. The first one looks like a Ranid, but then again some Australia Hylids have this look. The third looks like either a poison dart frog or a mantella, this picture is too dark to tell. The other three look to be Hylids, but not sure of their species. The could also be Rhacophoridids as well.

I assume these are not your frogs, just pictures you took. Where were they taken? Maybe that can help me ID them. The others I ID for you were easy as I either have them, had them, or worked with them. But these have me stumped (for now.)

sebastianbawn

Hi,
    thanks for the leads.Unfortunately I have taken these pics over a few years so where they were taken is hard to say. But you have given me something to go on, its very much appreciated
    seb

Kurt

You're welcome. Sorry I wasn't a bigger help.

sebastianbawn

The first one Im sure was labelled as a Pool Frog rana lessonae but I wasnt that happy with the pics I saw. Also the name Nightstalker rings a bell for at least on of them I think?

Kurt

I just looked at a bunch of pictures of Rana lessonae and I am not convinced this is your frog. Your frog has a texture on its dorsum that I did not see in the pictures of Rana lessonae that I saw.

Also, I have never heard the term nightstalker, at least not when it comes to frogs.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I would have to agree with Kurt. The first could be a Ranid, the second vaguely reminds me of some sort of Gastrotheca, the third a Mantella, the fourth could be Phrynohyas (or whatever that is now), and the fifth could be a Litoria or a Gastrotheca or a Hyla. Without location its hard to distinguish tree frogs.

Kurt

Well, here are a bunch of pics to scan through, maybe we can find a match. http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/fauna/sci-Amphibian.html

jody

I have a frog kind of like the first picture. she came from the creek behind my apartment building in pennsylvania as a pollywog(she had front apendeges) she only makes noise when startled, and likes to be handled. she likes to go for a swim too, and eats 2-3 large gut loaded crickets two or three times a week.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Kurt

I would say that it is most likely a Lithobates clamitans melanota* or green frog. The males get bright yellow throats.

* formerly Rana clamitans melanota

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I refuse to use Lithobates, I will continue to use Rana until they stop with all this ridiculousness.

Kurt

Good luck with that.

Thread Information