Thread: Driftwood causing problems?

DirtyBird

Default Driftwood causing problems?

Ok, so I abandoned my project for these guys, and just re-did the old setup. But I did add a nice piece of drift wood, and I have the water filter running over it. There is about 4-5inches of water. They seemed to LOVE it at first. But now that the driftwood is releasing a lot of the tannins, they dont go in the water at all now. I boiled the wood for 2 hrs with some baking soda, then baked it for 45min in the oven, then boiled again for 30 min before putting it in the tank. It has dropped the PH a little, but I compensated with the normal "neutral PH buffer" I have always used.

Here is a pic of the setup Name:  2011-10-06 12.46.38.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  107.0 KBName:  2011-10-06 12.46.58.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  96.7 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Driftwood causing problems?

`Probably test the water, it could even be unrelated to the new wood. Maybe do a 50% water change an/or new carbon in filter.
    Should probably test water. Was this wood found drifting if so most tannings should be gone, idk

DirtyBird

My tap water, im guessing, is ro filtered, cause it is VERY soft to begin with. i have some kind of clear slow disolving rock, abf Trxas holy rock, the lfs recomended to harden water. The tap is pH 6ish. I tested the water the the day adter i placed the wood and did a 50% water change, and noticed the tea colored water. Thest said the pH was really low, and was super soft water. I added a neutral ph buffer, and a pinch of baking-soda. Ph will be at 7 for a little while, but with no minerals to buffer it, it will spike. The frogs (7 fire-bellies) have been with this water condition once before, but it didnt stop them. This is the first time they've avoided the water. The fish (2 rosy red minnow, 3 zebra danio) are all doing great in there, as well as the mystery snail. They are ALL eating just fine, and the males are chirping normally...

Wow sounds like a soft water system, I dont recomend that hopefully someone else can weigh in. I belive soft water is full of salt idk. Maybe go to food store and get either distilled or spring water, I would.

Thread Information