Thread: What time of day or night should I feed my frog?

Camden

Default What time of day or night should I feed my frog?

Hi there, my name is Camden, I just got my new pacman frog yesterday, he's doing great!
    But, I'm a bit concerned as to when to feed him.
    Is it best to feed him during the day? Or at night?
    In the wild they come out to eat at night, but I would assume that in captivity its quite different.
    Thanks for any sort of help!

- Camden (New Pacman Owner)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: What time of day or night should I feed my frog?

Quote Originally Posted by Camden View Post
    Hi there, my name is Camden, I just got my new pacman frog yesterday, he's doing great!
    But, I'm a bit concerned as to when to feed him.
    Is it best to feed him during the day? Or at night?
    In the wild they come out to eat at night, but I would assume that in captivity its quite different.
    Thanks for any sort of help!

- Camden (New Pacman Owner)
    Well Camden Pacman frogs are nocturnal. You should feed your Pac at night when its dark outside. You will actually need to make a feeding schedule. I have day time lights that go out at 8:02 pm and come back on at 8:02 am. They need a 12 hour day night cycle. You can feed your frog as soon as he/she wakes up if you like. Or a little while after you frog awakens, but as long as you feed him/her at night all should be fine.

Camden

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Well Camden Pacman frogs are nocturnal. You should feed your Pac at night when its dark outside. You will actually need to make a feeding schedule. I have day time lights that go out at 8:02 pm and come back on at 8:02 am. They need a 12 hour day night cycle. You can feed your frog as soon as he/she wakes up if you like. Or a little while after you frog awakens, but as long as you feed him/her at night all should be fine.
    Well it looks like I've made a mistake, but since he's new he didn't eat anyway. It's now about 7:25 AM. Should I feed him sometime this morning? Or should I wait until tonight?

Nationality
    [United States]

Well it looks like I've made a mistake, but since he's new he didn't eat anyway. It's now about 7:25 AM. Should I feed him sometime this morning? Or should I wait until tonight?
    If he/she is estivating then no. Is your frog buried? You can feed them in the early morning while they are still awke but night time is best. You can kind of adjust them to your schedule. I believe your frog will be fine. Just wait til tonight and try again. Make sure there aren't any bright lights on when you feed him/her. Don't want any stress during feeding.

Camden

If he/she is estivating then no. Is your frog buried? You can feed them in the early morning while they are still awke but night time is best. You can kind of adjust them to your schedule. I believe your frog will be fine. Just wait til tonight and try again. Make sure there aren't any bright lights on when you feed him/her. Don't want any stress during feeding.
    Yes he is buried, a bit of the top of his body is sticking out.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes he is buried, a bit of the top of his body is sticking out.
    They ususlly bury themselves during the day and rest. Your frogs pupils will close farely tight so no light comes in. This is how they sleep. I would wait til tonight and try again. If you are using crickets I recommend removing the hind legs so they can't jump and move fast so your frog can easily catch them.

Camden

As for soaking the frog, when should I soak him, and how do I go about safely removing him from the tank and into a soaking tub?

Nationality
    [United States]

As for soaking the frog, when should I soak him, and how do I go about safely removing him from the tank and into a soaking tub?
    the tub you soak your frog in should be filled with luke warm de-chlorinated water. The water should be no deeper than half the height of your frog. So basically you want the water to come up to your frogs chin or throat. Be sure before handleing your frog that you wash you hands really well to remove all the oils and residues from them. Use a mild cleanser and rinse thoroughly. Then rerinse your hands with the same type of de-chlorinated water that you use in your frogs water dish. Rinse them well. Then you can handle your frog. Gently pick up your frog from behind by kind of scooping him/her up and with the other hand do the same from the front. Make sure to get under his/her legs so your frog feels like its on ground. Be careful as they do not like to be handled. Things might get jumpy. Make sure you have a firm grip on the frog by cupping your hands around him/her and hold low to the ground. You don't want to drop your frog or have it jump from your hands. Then gently set your frog in the water. Make sure its not too deep. They are not good swimmers and can drown easily. Also with the firm grip don't squeeze the frog at all. They are fragile around the stomach and ribs.

Camden

the tub you soak your frog in should be filled with luke warm de-chlorinated water. The water should be no deeper than half the height of your frog. So basically you want the water to come up to your frogs chin or throat. Be sure before handleing your frog that you wash you hands really well to remove all the oils and residues from them. Use a mild cleanser and rinse thoroughly. Then rerinse your hands with the same type of de-chlorinated water that you use in your frogs water dish. Rinse them well. Then you can handle your frog. Gently pick up your frog from behind by kind of scooping him/her up and with the other hand do the same from the front. Make sure to get under his/her legs so your frog feels like its on ground. Be careful as they do not like to be handled. Things might get jumpy. Make sure you have a firm grip on the frog by cupping your hands around him/her and hold low to the ground. You don't want to drop your frog or have it jump from your hands. Then gently set your frog in the water. Make sure its not too deep. They are not good swimmers and can drown easily. Also with the firm grip don't squeeze the frog at all. They are fragile around the stomach and ribs.
    Thanks again! I guess I also should have asked, how often should I soak him? (I just got him at the pet store yesterday, so he might be a bit too stressed to soak)

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks again! I guess I also should have asked, how often should I soak him? (I just got him at the pet store yesterday, so he might be a bit too stressed to soak)
    You can soak him/her once a week if you like. Since its a new frog and needs to adjust it would be a good idea not to soak him/her for a few days. Just make sure you have a water dish in his/her enclosure that isn't too deep with de-chlorinated water. He/she may soak him/herself. Change the water everyday if you suspect that your frog has been in it. If your frog doesn't get in the water you can change it every other day so the water doesn't get stagnant. Change the substrate no less than once a month. I change mine every 2 weeks to make sure the enclosure staus clean and no bacteria and fungus grow within the substrate.

Nationality
    [United States]

Are you using coconut fiber Eco Earth for substrate? Never use moss unless you feed your frog in a seperate container. If your frog ingests the moss it can become impacted(constipated) and die.

Thread Information