Thread: Whats the difference of taking care of an albino and normal pac

2oh1

Default Whats the difference of taking care of an albino and normal pac

i heard theres a few differences

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

mafoo

Default Re: Whats the difference of taking care of an albino and normal pac

as far as i know albinos are just a diffrent color. im getting a pacman frog soon and with all my research ive done cant really see any diffrence

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You have to make sure that albinos get no UV lighting whatsoever. People don't usually use any kind of UV lighting on either type, because all they do is burn the Pacman Frog. Pamcan Frogs get their ("sun") nutrients from vitamin D3 that is many calcium powders. You also don't want to put Pacman Frogs in the window with direct sunlight, but definately not albinos, because they don't have the pigment in their skin to block out harmful (to them) infared and UV rays.

If you soak albinos, you don't want to soak them too long, or it can obviously cause problems.

Other than that, I don't know. I don't think there are alot of differences in care.

Jcal

i hear they can be alittle more finicky.

metree, why wouldnt you want to soak them for long? not challenging you. just want to know.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    i hear they can be alittle more finicky.

metree, why wouldnt you want to soak them for long? not challenging you. just want to know.
    Oh, I am sorry. I mean outdoor soaking. On a sunny day you wouldn't want to stick an albino outside (in a tank with shallow water and a little bit of waterproof cover) for several hours.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MeTree View Post
    You have to make sure that albinos get no UV lighting whatsoever. People don't usually use any kind of UV lighting on either type, because all they do is burn the Pacman Frog. Pamcan Frogs get their ("sun") nutrients from vitamin D3 that is many calcium powders. You also don't want to put Pacman Frogs in the window with direct sunlight, but definately not albinos, because they don't have the pigment in their skin to block out harmful (to them) infared and UV rays.

If you soak albinos, you don't want to soak them too long, or it can obviously cause problems.

Other than that, I don't know. I don't think there are alot of differences in care.
    The UV lights don't burn the frog unless the wattage is too high. Over 50 watts is too high. Albinos are more sensitive to these lights be cause it can damage their eyes. Burning of the skin is usually caused by the light being too close to the Pacman or too high of wattage. If the light produces mass amounts of heat and light it will burn the skin of both species and damage their eyes. I use incandescent lights during the day to help with heat. No damage to my Cranwellis what so ever. The bulbs are 50 watts. An albino pacman is just a different type of cranwelli. They aren't actually a true albino. True albinos have no color pigments and are extremely sensitive to UV lights. Fluorescents on the other hand are usually too bright and can damage the frogs eyes even at low wattages.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    The UV lights don't burn the frog unless the wattage is too high. Over 50 watts is too high. Albinos are more sensitive to these lights be cause it can damage their eyes. Burning of the skin is usually caused by the light being too close to the Pacman or too high of wattage. If the light produces mass amounts of heat and light it will burn the skin of both species and damage their eyes. I use incandescent lights during the day to help with heat. No damage to my Cranwellis what so ever. The bulbs are 50 watts. An albino pacman is just a different type of cranwelli. They aren't actually a true albino. True albinos have no color pigments and are extremely sensitive to UV lights. Fluorescents on the other hand are usually too bright and can damage the frogs eyes even at low wattages.
    Great post Grif! Thanks for getting that straightened out. There is alot of conflicting information on the internet, and albinos and lighting is a shady area, but I'd definately agree with that post. I get my albinos and true albinos mixed up as far as care sometimes.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MeTree View Post
    Great post Grif! Thanks for getting that straightened out. There is alot of conflicting information on the internet, and albinos and lighting is a shady area, but I'd definately agree with that post. I get my albinos and true albinos mixed up as far as care sometimes.
    Oh yes. The internet is loaded with conflicting info. I only hope I helped. If you are concerned about the lighting you have hurting your frog you can buy fake plants for shade. Naturally if the frog feels harmed it will seek shelter under the plant.

IvoryReptiles

In my experience, there is NO difference between the care of all of the color phases of C. cranwelli. Other than the small precautions over the concern of the UVB exposure, they are the same. You need to remember these are Nocturnal Ambush Predators.......they dig in during the day and wait for the night and eat whatever they can fit in their mouths that happens to come their way.

Ribbits

Im really confused now. I have always been told that the frogs need uvb or they will die. I have a 26 watt 120v uvb light that I run for 12 hours a day. There are fake plants to provide shade, but he always prefers to be in the open. Of course he does burrow in the day almost all the time. He is an apricot albino. He has red eyes, i dont know if that makes him a true albino or not.

Ribbits

I forgot to mention my bulb is one of those florescent spiral bulbs from the pet store made for reptiles and amphibians. Im really concerned about this now, it sits on top of his 10 gallon tank. Do I need to switch to a different light type. Also should I have a moon light?

Thread Information