Thread: Can gloves make a frog tox out ?

2oh1

Default Can gloves make a frog tox out ?

yesterday i cleaned my frogs tank using my gloves handled him with my gloves and he ended up what seemed like toxing out just laying there dead but then after putting him in a smaller critter cage next to the heating pad he came back to his normal self...today once again i handled him with the gloves to move him to a smaller cage for chow time, and once again he turned stiff and diddnt move, I'm guessing it was the gloves cuz there was nothing else done to him or touched to him for him to act this way =/ I'm not using gloves anymore he's soaking right now got some life into him jesus my frog is so stressful lol

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: can gloves make a frog tox out ?

Quote Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
    yesterday i cleaned my frogs tank using my gloves handled him with my gloves and he ended up what seemed like toxing out just laying there dead but then after putting him in a smaller critter cage next to the heating pad he came back to his normal self...today once again i handled him with the gloves to move him to a smaller cage for chow time, and once again he turned stiff and diddnt move, I'm guessing it was the gloves cuz there was nothing else done to him or touched to him for him to act this way =/ I'm not using gloves anymore he's soaking right now got some life into him jesus my frog is so stressful lol
    I'm sure you're frog is just as stressed if not more than you. Non latex vinyl glove are what I read that can be used. I prefer not to use gloves. I wqsh my hands thoroughly and rinse them really well then dry my hands with paper towel and then get them wet with my frog water before handleing my frogs. To be sure I have no oils or toxins on my hands.

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

What kind of frog is he? I know some species of frogs are known to play dead when in threat of danger. I don't think it was the gloves either because I use non latex powder free gloves (the nitrile kind) and my frogs are fine.

Sublime

This sounds like just normal behavior from a frog that is trying to acclimate to his new home. Try not to handle him at all, if you do for brief amounts of time until he gets more used to your routine. As long as you use powder-free Nitrile gloves he'll be fine, I would just be careful your gloves aren't stretching his sensitive skin. Some people are allergic to latex so I wouldn't want to risk seeing if a frog had an allergic reaction to it too, so to be safe use Nitrile. Alternative to people who are allergic to latex. He doesn't go into a defense mechanism when you handle him with your bare hands? Only with the gloves? Clarify please.

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Oops, I didn't notice this was in the pacman thread section.....sorry. So he must be a pacman frog, silly me lol :P!

Thread Information