Thread: Gray Tree Frog

pammy55

Default Gray Tree Frog

I have 2 Gray Tree Frogs. Up until last week I had potting soil and real moss in their home which they seemed to like but I wanted something that might be alittle easier to clean and the real moss was dying anyway. So I got the compressed coconut fiber and dehydrated moss and prepared both of those and put in their home. Well they don't seem to like it-neither one of them have been on the ground since I've put it in there!! Any suggestions?? Please help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Gray Tree Frog

Potting soil can be bad, in particular it often contains perlite (little hard white bits) which is an impaction hazard, so it's good that you switched. However, the moss could likewise be a problem if it is the long loose and stringy kind that can be swallowed accidentally.

Cocofiber has the problem of sticking to the frog and could be annoying to them (not a health risk), you might try putting down some leaf litter on top so the frogs don't have to touch it when they venture to the ground. They shouldn't be spending much time on the ground anyway, they are tree frogs and like to rest up high!

4. This member thanks UncleChester for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have this plant (link below) establishing in potted plants at the base of the pots. (I use coco fiber -aka tropical soil)
    MUST- always repot all store bought plants. I completely rinse the dirt from the roots ( to help get rid of fertilizers and regular potting soil) , wash the plant ( to help get rid of sprays and insecticides on the surface of the leaves) , repot in the tropical soil , and WAIT 2-3 weeks ( depending on the size of the plant) before letting the frog near it. It would need this log to grow-out any left over bad stuff. This baby tears look mossy - and seems hardy ! It's soft too --for silly tree frog landings. Plus, the crickets don't seem to like to sit on top of it, therefore reducing the possibility of ingesting it.

I have been searching the earth for seeds for this plant w/out any success?

my rule is- if the plant does not survive in coco fiber w/ my lighting --I just give it away baby tears plant - Google Search
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

6. This member thanks flybyferns for this post:

pammy55

Question Re: Gray Tree Frog

Thank you Brian for your reply. By leaf litter do you mean just dried up leaves from outside? Sorry if I sound stupid but this is my first time having frogs. And yes they don't like the feel of the coconut fiber getting on them, thats why I put down the moss(and yes it is the stringy type) so the stringy type isn't good to have in their home?? Would it be better to get the clumpy kind from the pet store, as I seen they had that too.

Yep, you can use leaves from outside. I stick with magnolia leaves cause they look pretty, stay flat and tidy, and don't decay too quickly, but I know oak is commonly used as well. That's all I know off the top of my head, you can try searching if you have different trees available to you. You can sanitize them by placing in boiling water for a few minutes, and be sure to collect the leaves from an area that's free from pesticide or other chemical use.

Anything that's small enough to be swallowed that goes in your cage should be easily passable by your frog. Long stringy moss bits are a potential impaction issue, and are destined to be swallowed if you drop crickets or other feeders into the cage as the feeders will try to hide in it. Whether this will cause an problem or not would depend on the size of the bits ingested relative to the frog and just how dried up and tough it is. I'd be inclined to leave it out myself.

Quote Originally Posted by pammy55 View Post
    Sorry if I sound stupid but this is my first time having frogs.
    Nah, you don't sound stupid. Stupid would be not bothering to ask about stuff if you aren't sure

pammy55

Thank you again Brian! I will try the leaf litter(have oak and maple trees) but I am also going to go back to the black dirt(no additives or anything bad in it,just plain black dirt) and the clumpy moss that they liked so much. I just hate watching the little guys now cause they just really avoid getting on the floor. Oh yes, their names are Marti and Miki. I know Marti is a boy(Black throat and he calls 3-4 times a day) but not sure about Miki yet, I think he is a boy too cause he has black on his throat but I have never heard or seen him call. It is so neat how they are so different though-Marti is kinda laid back and shy and sleeps all day and Miki is more out going and is awake some during the day. Well any way I just love them-they are my babies!!!

Giles

Just make sure you boil or cook those leaves to get rid of any nasties I followed someones intructions of putting them in a microwaveable dish , put a little watter in the bottem and heating them for about 10mins.

Thread Information