Thread: Good feeder for pacman frog?

mafoo

Default Good feeder for pacman frog?

gonna get a pacman frog soon and i dont wanna deal with any more crickets especialy bigger ones (feeding my firebellys is enough) so i dont know what ill feed my pacman. i will feed it mice every month or so but i know that ill need something else to keep it full with untill the next mouse. i dont wanna deal with any insects so roaches are out and im thinking of feeding it night crawlers and maybe some superworms as a staple. dont know if these are a good choice and wether or not ill have to use calcium powder on em. feeder fish is also a option but im pretty unsure about that as a staple food. please give some answers cause im new to frogs and im sure if i get some good info outa this site ill stay active and be able to pass on the info!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

2oh1

Default Re: good feeder for pacman frog?

Quote Originally Posted by mafoo View Post
    gonna get a pacman frog soon and i dont wanna deal with any more crickets especialy bigger ones (feeding my firebellys is enough) so i dont know what ill feed my pacman. i will feed it mice every month or so but i know that ill need something else to keep it full with untill the next mouse. i dont wanna deal with any insects so roaches are out and im thinking of feeding it night crawlers and maybe some superworms as a staple. dont know if these are a good choice and wether or not ill have to use calcium powder on em. feeder fish is also a option but im pretty unsure about that as a staple food. please give some answers cause im new to frogs and im sure if i get some good info outa this site ill stay active and be able to pass on the info!
    welcome you'll learn a lot of information on pacman frogs here like i did, your frogs not gonna be able to eat mice for a while if u get them as a baby. i suggest lurking around the pacman frog section, theres a lot of topics that cover this and other questions and if u don't no the answer ask. i just got my pacman about a month ago and everybody here has helped me tons

Kreamcheese

I'd stay away from fish as they usually are not good for them. Walmart sells packs of 25 or 50 large night crawlers which is what I use for my pacman. I dip them in calcium power every other feeding. He loves them. Also I wouldn't give him a mouse that often, maybe once every two months or so because they're extremely fatty.

2oh1

Quote Originally Posted by Kreamcheese View Post
    I'd stay away from fish as they usually are not good for them. Walmart sells packs of 25 or 50 large night crawlers which is what I use for my pacman. I dip them in calcium power every other feeding. He loves them. Also I wouldn't give him a mouse that often, maybe once every two months or so because they're extremely fatty.
    Ivoryreptiles suggest not to buy worms from walmart. she had tests run on them and there soil has chemical that are toxic to pacman frogs. a lil under 30 of her frogs died.

Kreamcheese

Interesting. My frog has been eating them for over 3 years now, so that must not apply to the worms I'm buying.

2oh1

Quote Originally Posted by Kreamcheese View Post
    Interesting. My frog has been eating them for over 3 years now, so that must not apply to the worms I'm buying.
    she said it was the ones from kentucky, i mean if its working out for u thats great! lol I'm just not going take that chance.

Sublime

Default Re: Good feeder for pacman frog?

Night crawlers are a great staple, excellent source of protein:fat and calcium: phosphorus ratios. The superworms are not a good staple and should only be fed occasionally or as a treat, simply because their hard exoskeleton contains chitin which is not good dietary source. They're the larvae of a beetle once they pupate so that's the reasoning behind that, in the wild they wouldn't deal with a lot of that. The superworms are also high in fat and not much calcium, so they're not getting a lot of nutritional value out of that feeder. For feeder fish, make sure they're captive bred. Don't feed goldfish, others like guppies, minnows, and shiners would be good occasionally... Feeder fish shouldn't be a staple though, they don't come across this food often even though it has beneficial nutrients. You can cook frozen shrimp bought at a supermarket as another occasional food source.

Seems like you will only be feeding your pacman one dietary staple, which is fine, but you should consider letting him have more of a variety with invertebrates. You could try Samurai Japan Pacman Food as another choice of variety, Samurai Japan Reptiles -Pacman Frog -. I'm not sure if this should be fed as a staple, probably best to feed this once a week if you decide to buy it. Other than that the occasional once every 1-2 months appropriately sized mouse, half size rule...

Also check out the care sheet on caring for your pacman: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding. Other than that your daily or every other day calcium with or without d3 along with once a week multivitamin should do well.

9. This member thanks Sublime for this post:

mafoo

ok well ill stick with nightcrawlers! also the one at the pet store near my is pretty big and hes been there for a while definately. id say hes about 3-4 inches in length and hes always fed crickets. if i do get a small one cause theres better colours of em and there healthier at a diffrent store but there small ill probaly figure something else out but nightcrawlers and mice sounds like a good plan! ill also try some other things like the odd feeder fish and thanks a whole bunch for the help! this is one active forum compared to other ones ive looked at so u can garentee im sticking with it!

2oh1

Quote Originally Posted by mafoo View Post
    ok well ill stick with nightcrawlers! also the one at the pet store near my is pretty big and hes been there for a while definately. id say hes about 3-4 inches in length and hes always fed crickets. if i do get a small one cause theres better colours of em and there healthier at a diffrent store but there small ill probaly figure something else out but nightcrawlers and mice sounds like a good plan! ill also try some other things like the odd feeder fish and thanks a whole bunch for the help! this is one active forum compared to other ones ive looked at so u can garentee im sticking with it!
    if u get the big one i thank you for saving a pacman...who knows how long that poor guy has been in that pet store =/

mafoo

ya i think i might get him. hes a nice blueish color to and hes only $80 so seems like a pretty good deal for that color. also i have to drive 45 minutes to get to any other store so might aswell do some good for a frog and have the convienience of buying him local

BG

Congrats on your great news. Hope to see pics soon. With the right care they make great pets. This forum has helped me many times. I'm very greatful and so are my frogs.lol

mafoo

ya this forum has already helped me loads! now that i know about that samurai japan reptiles pacman food thing my family members have something to feed my frog thats not living when im gone camping or something! ill definately post pics on here cause hes going to be awesome

Thread Information