Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black spined toads....help needed

priya

Default Re: Black spined toads....help needed

i have just taken all the spagmum moss out of my frog tank as i just watched him eat a cricket and a piece of moss was also swallowed and half hanging out his mouth he acted like he was choking on it i pulled the moss out of his mouth. i think ill just keep um on the bark chippings.

if thats all there is to breeding crikets ill have a go but these ones i have look like this.
    http://www.globallivefood.com/shop/LIVE-LOCUST-HOPPERS/

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Oh..Sorry I forgot about the Slater's. They are an insect that eats wood. They are about 1.5cm at most. They have a hard shell and lots of legs, they curl up in a ball when threatened. They are easy to breed cos they eat wood. You can even have a corner in your frog enclosure of wood and Slater's and they will breed by themselves and the Frogs have a constant supply of food. The Slater's tend to come out at night. My Whistlers love them.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

You have to have allot of sticks in their enclosure if they are not yet adults as they hang off the sticks to shed their skin. Also when they are adults they lay in 10cm deep containers of sand and soil mix which is kept damp so when the eggs hatch they can easily climb out. The containers must be easily accessible to the Locusts as they are kinda clumsy and aren't the best at getting around.

The sphagnum Moss is fine for the frogs, It will not harm them. Ive had Moss for years and my frogs are fine.

Kurt

I have seen some of my amphibians swallow sphagnum from time to time and they are fine, though I am concerned about it.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

When the sphagnum moss grows its more compacted, so it tends to be better. When I first replace it I try to press it down so its not so light. I think that helps. Also i have bits and pieces sitting on it. Moss Mounds are great for coverage to. In their natural environment I would imagine they swallow all sorts. All I know is that Ive used it for 5 years and had no problems so far.(touch wood)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information