Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black spined toads....help needed

priya

Default Black spined toads....help needed

hi i want to buy two black spined toads would anyone be able to give me any advise on how to keep them?

oh and i have two whites tree frogs which i bought a week ago.

Kurt

Default Re: Black spined toads....help needed

Hi, welcome aboard, check out the toad basic care sheet on the left hand side of the page.

priya

hi kurt. thanks for the reply, do you think that the largest size faunarium plasic tank would be a big enough home for two of the toads and do i need a heat mat?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have no idea about this species specifically but how big are they?

priya

im not sure but the proper name for them is bufo melanostictus.

Nationality
    [United States]

it is also called Duttaphrynus melanostictus I think and from what I can figure out the females get to about 4.5 inches and what it this plastic faunarium that you are talking about? Sorry if it is a Europe thing I am on the other side of the pond.They supposedly also require a fairly high humidity (I looked them up on google and this is what I have figured out).

Kurt

Tom has given you the answers about toad size. Now the question remains is how big is this faunarium? I suspect that we may know it as a critter keeper, but I can't be certain.

Nationality
    [United States]

I doubt it would be ok with the biggest critter keeper though. Wait how big do they get (critter keepers)?

priya

hi, thank you all for your replies, yes i think it is what you call a kritter keeper, its made by zoo med and the measurements are 18 x 12 x 6.5 inches. i have tried to find information from my local petshops but they dont seem to know. i have also been ill advised about keeping my whites tree frogs so i hope im doing it right.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Hi Priya, As well as the care info there are lots of members that own your lovely Whites tree frogs so if you are needing any help just ask. Welcome

priya

thanks ebony, well my whites are just babies at the minute, they are about 1 and a half iches long, ive got them in a exo tera terrarium measuing 12 x 12 x 18 inches. ive got a medium sized heat mat stuck to the side of the tank on the out side but im worried the frogs might burn thenselves when there climbing up the glass. and im just using a normal 40watt light bulb over the top of the mesh top in the day time. im not sure this is the best way to heat the tank as it gets cold here over night in the winters.

Nationality
    [United States]

have you read the whites tree frog care sheet? It is very helpful also they will probably out grow that tank (the whites). I don't know about the black spined toads and that cage. It could work but is probably a little small.

priya

i am planning on getting a bigger terrarium for my whites tree frogs when they grow a bit bigger and then putting some other kind of smaller frog in the present one. Im not sure what type of frog to go for yet but i have plenty of time to think about it.

as for the toads can anyone suggest a type that wont get to big that i could keep in the faunarium?

also one of my whites tree frogs seems a little thin and doest seem to be able to jump or climp properly. he tries but falls over. ive only had him few days. the pet shop i got him from was keeping him in a flat kritter keeper. does anyone have any advise on how i could help him hes only a baby about a inch and a half long.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by priya View Post
    hi, thank you all for your replies, yes i think it is what you call a kritter keeper, its made by zoo med and the measurements are 18 x 12 x 6.5 inches.
    As long as that 6.5 inches height and not width, I think one or two black spined toads would be ok.

Kurt

As far as the Wite's in concerned, all I can is say take him to a vet and get him checked out. Or bring back to the store.

priya

yes the 6.5 is height. as for taking him to the vet i would if i could, unfortunately the vets in england are not as advanced and they dont know anything about caring for exotic pets, or birds. i took a snake to the vet once who just guessed what whas wrong with him and then drilled one of his scales of and gave him a injection and the snake died the next day. i tried taking my african grey parrot and they told me they dont know nothing about birds. i have tried to find a reptile vet in my home town but have had no success.

i dont want to return the frog to the pet shop as i dont want him to be put back into the 6.5 inch high critter keeper he was in as this is so unsuitable for a tree frog!. he had no light either. or heat.

he can manage to walk around and he eventually he manages to climb up the plasic plants i have in his tank. he struggles to jump and climb up the glass, he just falls over and upside down.

can anyone tell me how i can get my photo up on these threads?

Kurt

When you post, hit the "go advanced", then click on the paper clip. A window will open up, from there you can upload from your computer or from a URL.

There is a British vet that posts on here, maybe he can find a local vet for you, then again maybe our buddy Tom has some links to some.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Hi Priya, Has your White's eaten anything since you've had it? Try hand feeding it. You may need to take your frog to another Vet if you have lost your faith in your current one (which is understandable) Good luck

priya

i have tried to hand feed him, but he doesnt take the food, he is always asleep until i turn out all the lights but then i cant see him to feed him lol. he is awake and on the floor of the tank when i get up i the morning but then he is struggling to get up high again and not intressted in food.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

priya

sorry the picture ended up in the wrong place, i wanted to put it at the side by my name, not sure how to do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information