Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black spined toads....help needed

Kurt

Default Re: Black spined toads....help needed

I was about to say that is the strangest frog I have ever seen. Trying going to your profile and clicking on edit profile.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hows your Whites colouring? You could ring the pet shop where you got him and they may know a good Vet.

priya

hey ebony, i just the frog on the floor of his tank and threw some crickets in and i just seen him eat two, so thats made me a bit happier, maybe i will always have to put him in the ground as he struggles with climbing up but one his there he finds it hard to get back down lol.

the pet shop had him on hoppers so maybe i should get him some of those to.

priya

the frog is a light greeny colour like most wtfs, but when hes on the floor he goes brown. this might be because of the browny coloured forest bark in using as substrate, the only problem with this substrate is that the crickets all go and hide in it. is there anything else i could use?

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

YAH...That's great he's eating. That's a good sign. Maybe you could arrange his house so its a little easier for him to climb. He may have been stressed with where he was, and then with the move. Keep a close watch on him. When you can I would love to see some photo's.

Kurt

What do you mean by hoppers? Are we talking hopper mice? If so, do not use them. Continued feeding of rodents to frogs can lead to the frog's death.

I am also wondering if the frog has a calcium defiency. Treefrogs will often avoid climbing when they are lacking in calcium/vitamin D3.

Nationality
    [United States]

haha kurt http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...list-vets.html the first link has some UK Vets if you go to the bottom

Kurt

Thanks Tom. I knew I could count on you to help out with finding a vet.

Nationality
    [United States]

Haha I am sorry if that is annoying I think it might just help.

Kurt

I never said it was annoying. I was genuine in my previous statement. You can be counted on in that way.

priya

good morning everyone, its 8.30 in the morning here now, and ive just got up. when i say hoppers i dont mean mice. i mean loctus. i guess we have different names for things. i am dusting the crickets daily with nutrobal vitamin powder so they get calcium.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

"Hoppers" are a size of rat - I think they're either the size above or below "pup". I seem to recall it being used on African Locusts in the British Isles too for the medium sized ones. I miss locusts as a feeder - so much nicer and easier to deal with than crickets.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

priya

can you not get locusts (hoppers) there to feed your frogs. the ones i use are bright yellow with black spots and stripes. they are really beautiful. its a shame they are not kept as pets lol. they come in 3 different sizes. small medium and large. the small are about the size of a large cricket.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

This has been discussed elsewhere on the forum. Locusts are not for sale in the US due to the risk of them escaping and populating the country.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

priya

oh ok, i wonder why the same rules dont apply here in england? anyway i have some dissapointing news. the black spinned toads i was planning on getting are now out of stock. i was planning on buying them from http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/ but i kept on trying to ring them and left them a couple of messages to try and find out more but no one ever got back to me. how ever there are some sqare marked toads still available. has anyone ever kept these?

priya

Hi Ebony, as you asked.Name:  DSC00078.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  DSC00072.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  DSC00082.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  58.9 KBhere are some pictures of my whites tree frog. (the one that cant jump or climb very well)

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Hi Priya, Just beautiful and looks really good. I'm pleased to see your Whites doing well. About the Locusts, do you breed them? I breed them for my Frogs and find them great. I also give my Frogs meal-worms, Flies, Katydids. Slaters. I like to give them a variety. All these insects range in size so it suits all my Frogs. Sorry you weren't able to get your Black Spined Toads.

priya

no i dont breed them i wouldnt know how, but its quite expensive buying them in little tubs. maybe you could give me some tips?

yes i didnt feel comfortable just buying the toads from an online dealer with out knowing how they they have been kept and how they would be transported and when i would expect ro recieve them as i wouldnt wanna be out when they arrived, i left them them several messages but they never got back to me and when i looked at the toads today it said they were now unavailable. there are not many petshops here that sell toads.

priya

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Hi Priya, Just beautiful and looks really good. I'm pleased to see your Whites doing well. About the Locusts, do you breed them? I breed them for my Frogs and find them great. I also give my Frogs meal-worms, Flies, Katydids. Slaters. I like to give them a variety. All these insects range in size so it suits all my Frogs. Sorry you weren't able to get your Black Spined Toads.
    sorry but what are katydids and slaters?

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Katydids are a bit like green grass hoppers I guess, but they are a leaf type shape, I have one in my album if you have a look. Mork is thinking about eating it but its too big for him, i put it in for Mindy. Locust are really easy to breed if you have the time. They don't need heat and they don't smell. I put mine in half sun every day if we have it. I put them on the widow sill. Mine are a different breed to yours but mine just eat grass, apple, bran fakes, bamboo. As long as they have a constant food supply that is fresh then they do well. You don't need water either so there's no issues there. I have photo's of them in my Album too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information