Thread: PCF problems

Shiro

Default PCF problems

Hi, I'm new here. I have 3 pacific chorus frogs, one of which is a baby(about the size of a pinky nail, a bit smaller even) who is off food. The other two get fed every other day, and Frogger (the smaller one) gets fed every day, sometimes twice a day. Recently she's been off food. Big Legs and Shadow are eating fine and I have no trouble with them. Does anyone know why Frogger might have gone off food?

I have a lot of sticks and grass in their tank for hides and a large water dish for them. I have moist soil as substrate and I change it once a month and mist every day. It's a one gallon tank, which I know is small, but it's temporary. My mom was overdrawn, do we couldn't get the 10 gallon tall that I had wanted.

They eat crickets and earth worms that are found in my garden, which has no pesticides or herbicides.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Frog Mom

Default Re: PCF problems

Have you tried feeding fruit flies? When my PCF's were small, that's the food they really wanted. I bought a culture at Petco. You can order them online, as well, if you don't have a pet store with fruit fly cultures near you.

Frog Mom

Also, try looking for tanks at the thrift store or on craigslist. They are a lot cheaper there. Just be sure to sterilize it first to make sure it's clean and has no germs that will hurt your froggies.

Shiro

The only fruitflies we have are ones that need to be caught, and that's pretty hard to do. Where I live, there are only 2 pet shops, one is disgusting (she gave me dead half eaten pinheads and tried charging me $2/dozen) and the other doesn't carry any fruitflies, and wont special order them.

Shiro

I got her to eat a couple fruit flies the other day. I left out a glass of soda hoping to attract fruitflies into my room (I'm seriously going crazy). Next month I'll try to buy some fruitflies online or something.

Frog Mom

I'm glad you got her to eat something. Yeah, the pet store in my town doesn't have the best crickets either. Fortunately, Petco isn't too far away. You might try sticking a slice of apple or some other fruit in the tank. I put one in a dish to attract the crickets in there that managed to escape being eaten at feedings, and the fruit flies I put in there always end up on the fruit too. Maybe you could attract some wild ones in that way.

Good luck!

Shiro

I ordered fruit flies from flukers and received them today. I'm happy to announce that Frogger has eaten 10 of them. I kept fruit bits in the tank but I don't think any came. She was looking like a head attached to a stick. I'll be getting a few more vials of fruit flies when I have the money so Frogger can eat all she wants.

Frog Mom

Yay! I bet she enjoyed the feast.

Shiro

She seemed to. She the only one of the 3 that doesn't like my hand near her, but she hopped into it when I was trying to move her back to the tank. She won't eat anything around the other two (they're pretty greedy!)

Shiro

Well, I got a male about a week ago. I'd like to know if there are any food choices other than fruit flies, earth worms or crickets? It's too cold here for there to be any house flies (which all my frogs go crazy for), so that isn't really an option. He hasn't eaten, but he's still pretty chubby so I'm not too worried, I'd just like to know what else I could try if those 3 food items don't work.

Frog Mom

I don't know much about other food options. I go out and catch small spiders once in awhile and put them in there. The frogs like those. I just ordered some springtails from Josh's frogs, so I'll see how they like those once they get here.

Shiro

Luckily, I have found that he likes all three food items! Haha. I put a few fruit flies, a large wingless cricket and an earth worm in the tank and he gulped up all three fairly easily. I like to keep my animals on a varied diet, so anything they may like I'd be willing to try on them.
    Spiders are a no-go for me, I'm terrified of them, and our house is already infested with giant house spiders (Tegenaria duellica). They're very aggressive, to the point where any spider other than a jumping spider is killed on sight if it's in the house. I like keeping jumping spiders around, because they eat house flies.... And they're kind of funny when they find their way onto your desk and get all defensive about you being in "their" space...

Thread Information