Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New baby pixie

Kirby72

Default New baby pixie

Hey just wanted to show off our new baby pixie that actually belongs to my girlfriend. This is her first non fuzzy pet and we are both really excited to have him/her in the house. I will keep posting pics as it gets older and would appreciate your help to determine if it is a he or a she.

Name:  photo (2).jpg
Views: 307
Size:  106.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: new baby pixie

Cool. I am going to go ahead and go with male. Females don't exist. But nice frog. I now must go feed my pixie addiction.

Sublime

Great choice, pixie's are definitely awesome. Way to young to tell, pics in about a month and half or two months should be able to sex your frog.

Eel Noob

Nice pickup. Your GF is going to love it.

BG

Welcome to the forum. You are going to love these frogs.They are going to open your thinking about frogs. These and all frogs have there own personality. They are awesome frogs. They are very smart. You have your self a little killer there. Nice looking baby. Its too young to tell yet if its a male. There's a great, I mean great informational care sheet here. Very helpful. But don't be shy to ask any thing . We have alot of pixie pros here. So keep them pics,and questions coming.

Kirby72

I know it is too early to tell if its male or female. Thanks for pointing out the care sheet but I already took the liberty to read it . There are already a few reptiles in the house so we arent completely new to reptiles/amphibians but I am super eager to watch it grow. He is already showing a unique personality.

BG

They grow super fast,so take alot of pics.How is his apitite.lol What do you have him in.

Kirby72

We have him in a 10 gal with a 50 watt heat lamp, a water dish, some plants and a coco fiber substrate. He eats voraciously!!! Today he had 4 redworms and previously he has finished 15 small crickets and 5 small mealworms in one sitting. We are trying to vary up his diet as much as possible hence the switch to redworms for now.

BG

I'm a little skeptical about the 50 watt heat lamp. Is it on one side, but still i think its to close to the frog. I think a heat pad on the side of tank is better. You can also use a 25 watt blue day lamp for the 10 gal. What is his temp in hot spot. Unless its very cold in the room.

nickc

for a 10 gallon i would lower the wattage to a 40 watt it should keep the temps around 86-88

Kirby72

well i don't keep the lamp on all the time....it is really hot where we are right now (california) so the cool side is about 76-77 the hot side is 86-88. I do have a dimmer for the heat lamp so we can maintain proper temps

Kirby72

UPDATE:

New pics as of 10/16
    Name:  photo (5).jpg
Views: 379
Size:  74.0 KBName:  photo (6).jpg
Views: 499
Size:  97.2 KB

He or she has been eating king meal works crickets and red worms. This one has been picky and really appreciates a wide variety of foods. We have had him for 3 weeks now.

Sublime

Nice, he or she has been growing fast. Keep him or her dietary staples crickets and red worms or night crawlers. The king meal worms should only be fed occasionally as variety or a treat.

Nationality
    [United States]

Wow, he's getting big.

BG

That guy is growing like fire and i said that guy!! Good job. I bet you get alot of fun watching him eat. All i can tell you is watch your fingers.

Eel Noob

Nice looking boy!

Kirby72

I was going to ask if you guys think its a male or female but so far the consensus seems to be male. What are the indicators that give it away? We are hoping it turns out to be male

Sublime

No one can accurately guess the sex of it at this size. Indicators are head size and growth factors. John has a growth chart in the care sheet on pixies for the difference between males and females. The head size on males are more broad, overall larger, and come to a beak point. The females heads are more rounded and proportionally are small compared to the body mass. Coloration should never be a factor in determining the sex of these guys.

Male: Name:  44856_1572967925999_1289552496_1637681_152986_n.jpg
Views: 1984
Size:  103.9 KB

Female (Probably one of the best pictures I've seen for a female, High Quality): Name:  Pixie_Frog___tinker_bell_by_jupiterjenny.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  101.8 KB

Eel Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby72 View Post
    I was going to ask if you guys think its a male or female but so far the consensus seems to be male. What are the indicators that give it away? We are hoping it turns out to be male
    At that size yours has a nice head to body profile and the growth is a good indicator.

Nationality
    [United States]

Looking at that female picture, I am thinking my ABF, Jeremiah, is a girl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information