Thread: Green tiny frogs

kteacher

Default Green tiny frogs

Hi I am a new member. I am a Kteacher that found 3 tiny (less than one inch) green frogs hanging on my screen door last night. What are they? I've been living in NJ for over 20 years and have never seen them - they look like tree frogs. I brought them to schooland the kids are asking me a lot of questions. What are they and how do I care for them? HELP

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Green tiny frogs

Without a photograph it's hard to know, but I would guess they are likely young Gray Tree Frogs. Have a look at our care article for them in the care articles section. That care will apply to pretty much all North American tree frogs too, so you won't go wrong. Post a photo if you get a chance.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

BG

Welcome to the forum.Wow thats good luck to have frogs visit your house. They are wonderful creatures. They are so small but yet amazing. They make a great learning experience for kids. Here you can ask any questions about them. We love pics.If they are gray tree frogs,they are very popular frogs. Please keep us updated.

kteacher

I took pictures but they are so small I had to zoom in so much that they are very blurry. Iwill try again tonight. I found another one today in my kitchen. The kids at school are loving them. I placed a small bowl of water, tree branch and a fly that we found today inside the container. What can I feed them and where do I get the food, PETCO? Is there food like fish food? As you can tell I do not know anything about raising tree frogs, should I release them? The kids are starting to name them so it is going to be hard to set them free. I'll probably get more tonight. I'll keep posting. Thanks for the response

kteacher

Thanks for responding George. I feel like I need the Pide Piper to get rid of them. I found one in my kitchen today hanging on a cabinet. I have no idea how they got here, I've been living here for over 20 years and we never had tree frogs before. They are really cool!

BG

We had alot of rain. The weather is going to be getting cold soon ,and frogs sense that. So they are every where now,and on the move Its been warm and humid as we speak. Please keep them. They should be alright. They like alot of branches and hiding places. They are nocturnal as you know .Frogs are a great educational tool. They teach us how they live in nature. They kids will love Feeding time.. It will teach the kids how to preserve and respect the natural world.

nepenthe

I found this thread on Google and had the same question, except I have pics. The frog is resting on my 10 year old daughter's fingers.

I thought they were Cope's... but they are quite green.

TIA,David

nepenthe

I am located in Hunterdon county NJ, which is in the north western part of the state.

maxQ

Default Green tiny frogs

Hey NEW JERSEY !!! Im originally from South Jersey (Exit 4) now in Maryland, welcome to our forum and aren't those little guys just the cutest things your ever seen.

Kteacher, try for pics, I'm dying to see them.

Using Tapatalk

nepenthe

They are quite cute.
    We have bullfrogs and spade foot toads on my property
    I will be darned if I can't identify these little fellows.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthe View Post
    They are quite cute.
    We have bullfrogs and spade foot toads on my property
    I will be darned if I can't identify these little fellows.
    Either Hyla chrysoscelis or Hyla versicolor. They are usually very green when they first come onto land. See Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care and Breeding for more info and some froglet pictures. You apparently have both types of Grays in NJ, http://amphibiaweb.org/cgi/amphib_qu...-state_code=NJ, and they are visually impossible to distinguish.

In the future please start a new thread of your own, as reviving a 2-year old one can cause some confusion.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The rule of thumb for feeding any frog is to feed noting bigger than the space in between its eyes.
    If these guys are smaller than 1/2 in from snout to vent (anus) then pinhead crickets are a good choice.
    and flightless fruit flies. Both can be available at your local pet store but the big box ones like petco might not carry them.
    So call ahead.

Since I am guessing that these little ones are a tree frog of some type they like hight so having a tall terrarium for them is better.
    but if you are only keeping them for a little while then a 10 gallon tank is ok.
    But if you feed Flightless fruit flies they will get out unless you cover the top with a very fine mesh.
    So pinhead crickets are a good choice and keeping them in a small glass bowl is better so they wont free roam the tank and hide behind stuff.
    and possibly bite your frogs.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by kteacher View Post
    I took pictures but they are so small I had to zoom in so much that they are very blurry. Iwill try again tonight. I found another one today in my kitchen. The kids at school are loving them. I placed a small bowl of water, tree branch and a fly that we found today inside the container. What can I feed them and where do I get the food, PETCO? Is there food like fish food? As you can tell I do not know anything about raising tree frogs, should I release them? The kids are starting to name them so it is going to be hard to set them free. I'll probably get more tonight. I'll keep posting. Thanks for the response

Thread Information