Thread: Help with choosing where to get a chubby frog

DogRetepCow

Default Help with choosing where to get a chubby frog

I'm looking to get a chubby frog but I only know of two pet stores around my area that have them. I've been to both stores and while the frogs seemed to look ok, their living conditions certainly were not optimal. I was wondering if you guys could help me choose which store would likely be better to choose a chubby frog from.

Option 1: The first store is a Petsmart and they have about four chubby frogs in a rather small cage. In addition there are about two tomato frogs and one Cuban tree frog all housed together in the same cramped cage. I'm worried about the mix of species, especially the Cuban tree frog.

Option 2: It's a small independent pet store and they only have one chubby frog, not mixed with any other species. However, it's living condition is kind of pathetic. When I was there the frog was being kept in a tiny tupperware container that looked like it belonged in a refrigerator. I got to handle the frog briefly and it climbed up my arm and squirted its chubby goo on me. As far as I can tell the frogs from both stores appear normal and healthy. Petsmart has four and the frogs have varying colors, so I can factor in a decision on what frog to get based on how healthy the frog seems, and my color preference. The other store only has one to choose from.

Any advice? Anywhere I could get a chubby frog online, maybe?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help with choosing where to get a chubby frog

You could try online - somewhere like LLL Reptile is a good option. If you want to do the in-person option, I would take option 2 easily over 1.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

frognerd101

Default Re: Help with choosing where to get a chubby frog

Online is always a really good way to get a really healthy specimen, but I purchased mine at petsmart. You are 100 precent right when you say they keep there amphibians and reptiles in a really small cage. The one I purchased was sharing a 10 gallon tank with 3 adult whites tree frogs. However, I bought him and he is still alive today, 2 years after the purchase.

If you can, ask one of the employees to see them feed. If they seem to have interest in food, they are healthy specimens. However, these frogs don't always have an initial response to food, especially after they have recently been fed. So, if the frog appears too skinny, or has bumps or cuts on it, or is a different color than it should be, then do not purchase it.

Good luck with your frogs

Thread Information