Thread: Is a 20L tank OK for two adult ADFs?

Pekams

Default Is a 20L tank OK for two adult ADFs?

Is it OK that two adult ADFs (no others) share a 20L tank? And is a shelter necessary? I have some waterplants in my tank now.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wojtas

Default Re: Is a 20L tank OK for two adult ADFs?

Good tank for Dwarf clawed frogs.You can have 3-4 frogs in this tank.

4. This member thanks Wojtas for this post:

Pekams

Thank you! However, I read some articles that told me each ADF need at least 2.5 gallon water, so I only put two frogs into my tank.

Nationality
    [United States]

I bet you tank looks rather empty..... You could add several more if you chose and/or a small shoal of peaceful fish, such as neons or rasboras. Just make sure that the fish would not look at your frogs as a food item. I have 6 ADFs (1 male, 5 females) in a heavily planted 50g display tank with 30-35 small peaceful fish, including 6 small corys. The frogs have been in this tank for almost 6 years and continue to do well. Of course, if you plan to breed your frogs (I have read your post reagrding the eggs layed by your frog, and have responded to it), then you want a speices tank.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by rivkah View Post
    I bet you tank looks rather empty..... You could add several more if you chose and/or a small shoal of peaceful fish, such as neons or rasboras. Just make sure that the fish would not look at your frogs as a food item. I have 6 ADFs (1 male, 5 females) in a heavily planted 50g display tank with 30-35 small peaceful fish, including 6 small corys. The frogs have been in this tank for almost 6 years and continue to do well. Of course, if you plan to breed your frogs (I have read your post reagrding the eggs layed by your frog, and have responded to it), then you want a speices tank.
    Um...I need to intervene. the 20L is about 5 gallons which is perfect for TWO frogs - this is not enough to add more frogs OR fish. Most ADF owners agree that it is in the best interest of the frogs to keep them in a species only tank.

You can not add corydoras to this 20L - 1) it is way too small for most species of corys which need 20+ gallons for swim room 2) this would massively crowd the bottom of the tank for the frogs
    Most tetras need a minimum of 10 gallons / 40 liters. These are active fish and need the room to swim.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [United States]

Okay, I am a fish keeper.... a 20L generally means 20 gallon tank, 30"X12"x12"..... I have misread... 20 liter? Oops... too funny...

I am glad that you caught my error. But I do want to add that there are several species of dwarf corys that only grow to less than an inch, which would be fine in a 5g tank. As well as several newly discovered dwarf rasabora or even badis badis, mid tank swimmers, that would also be very happy in a small groud in a 5g tank. Because of the passive nature of ADFs, a small group of small fish can be added. I personally perfer keeping corys with ADFs (as well as a couple of snails) to help scavange with the ADFs miss. And some keep a single male betta with their ADFs with success.

Thank you again for realizing that I misread the "20L" description.

Jakub T

I have five ADF's in 25-liter aquarium. They are very healthy and reproduce often. I am sure that three or four African Dwarf Frogs can live in a 20 liter tank (of course, without fish and with good filtration).

Nationality
    [United States]

I think the comments/guidelines are more for those that will only do the bare minimum. Those of us that truly like our charges go way above and beyond those minimums. I look at the housing and wonder if I would want to live there... so with plants, planted and floating, hiding places, basically something to do, those guidelines can be stretched just a bit. You are obvisiouly doing everything right.

Thread Information