Thread: New BETF hex enclosure needs feedback.....

caverboy

Default New BETF hex enclosure needs feedback.....

After much reading of the forum threads, I have put together my first “vivarium” that I hope to add 1 or 2 BETFs to in about a week. I was hoping to get some feedback and advice on what to change about the setup before bringing the BETFs home. Overview of my setup: 10 gallon hex with a combination of live and fake plants. Back half of tank has drainage layer, sphagnum moss and eco-earth (see pictures) while the front half has simple layer of sphagnum moss with water and feeding bowls. Ease of cleaning was the thought process for the front. (I am slightly confused about substrate layering as some have recommended sphagnum on top while others have recommended it be below the eco-earth layer.) There is a full screen top with a ˝ hex loose plexiglass piece on top to maintain humidity.

Tank is currently lit with a small fluorescent (no markings, so not sure if daylight or not). Tank temp is 80F and humidity is 80+ at this time. (It is hot and humid outside as I type, but this however will not last.) We live in Massachusetts and the house temperature will stay between 58F & 63F for the winter. Despite reading numerous forum pieces and visiting local pet stores, I am still confused regarding the correct decision about the proper heating and lighting of the enclosure. I would rather not “experiment” on my own, but would like to learn from the experts here as to my best option.

Please feel free to respond with any and all thoughts about my set-up and how to most effectively light and heat it for the BETFs.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New BETF hex enclosure needs feedback.....

Well, these frogs are nocturnal, so lighting is totally for the plants. I would use a powerful daylight spectrum spotlight bulb so that you can get light to the bottom, and maybe also use a Fluorescent bulb in daylight spectrum for general lighting.

As for heating it, I would try using a heat pad on the side. That's what I always recommend. Just don't cover an entire side with the heat pad.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

caverboy

Many thanks. We are looking forward to bringing home some new family members this weekend. FrogForum rocks !!!!

BG

It feels so good building terrariums. Today i just finished one with live plants. Your tank looks great. I could sit back and watch it all day. Its very relaxing.. Cant wait to see your new family members.

caverboy

Thanks; hopefully they come home in 2 days....

Thread Information