Thread: Hand sanitizing

Sublime

Default Hand sanitizing

What do you guys do for hand sanitizing, and how often do you do it? I find myself almost getting in a routine where I have to wash my hands after a lot of things I do because I get scared of transferring chemicals/soaps, germs, food, etc. onto my pixies enclosure, spray bottle, him, etc... We have a couple dogs and cats too, so that adds a little bit to my discomfort about keeping everything cleanly inside my room and try to keep their hair off a lot of things. The common hand sanitizer's that are in the bottle are like pure alcohol so that wouldn't work. I do this because I know frogs have sensitive skin and I just want to make sure my frog never gets sick or dies from some kind of exposure that I got on him or in his tank. Would these frogs need to be exposed to a lot more to have issues like regurgitating their stomach, becoming ill, you name it?

I know that joshsfrogs sells some amphibian safe hand sanitizers. Terrarium Cleaning Supplies | Josh's Frogs. Should I just invest in one of these since I consistently wash my hands in the bathroom and it gets kind of annoying? I may be a little paranoid about this, but I wanted to seek advice from you guys that own a lot of frogs and have dealed with them for years. I may be crazy, but hey better safe than sorry. The thing is I'm not like this with myself, obviously I try to stay hygienic myself, but ever since I got this frog I'm just really paranoid about this issue. Thanks for any advice you guys leave.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Just regular antibacterial hand soap without lotion. They say a good 20 sec hand wash including front, back, sides, between fingers, and wrists will prevent contamination to both them and you. With a good rinse. (RN tips for ya, lol!)
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Sublime

Default Re: Hand sanitizing

Haha thanks, yeah that's what I usually do. You a RN? My mom's a RN, hear that kind of stuff from her all the time. I was just wondering if anyone used any like frog safe hand sanitizer that you pour into your hands and rub together and leaves your hands germ free. Like this WipeOut 4 instant foaming hand sanitizer (2.5 oz) | Josh's Frogs. Something similar to that found in stores, or should I just order online.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ha ha, yep!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

I totally understand what you mean Mark. I solve this problem by using disposable (powder-free) gloves, as I rarely handle my frogs or even mess with their enclosures without gloves. This eliminates any harmful substances that might be on my hands from being transferred to my frogs and their living quarters. Also, frogs carry salmonella on their skin and can pass this bacterium to humans, sometimes even making them ill. As a result, I find it safer all together to wear disposable gloves, but yet I still find myself washing my hands in hot soapy water 2-3 times after/before handling my frogs !

7. This member thanks frogluver for this post:

Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by frogluver View Post
    I totally understand what you mean Mark. I solve this problem by using disposable (powder-free) gloves, as I rarely handle my frogs or even mess with their enclosures without gloves. This eliminates any harmful substances that might be on my hands from being transferred to my frogs and their living quarters. Also, frogs carry salmonella on their skin and can pass this bacterium to humans, sometimes even making them ill. As a result, I find it safer all together to wear disposable gloves, but yet I still find myself washing my hands in hot soapy water 2-3 times after/before handling my frogs !
    Thank you very much Autumn! We are very much a like haha. Yeah I find that I wash my hands 10-20 times a day right now, very annoying. The disposable gloves are a great idea, can't believe I never thought of that. Do you think those black Nitrile disposable gloves (powder-free) are safe? The Nitrile gloves I've heard are more safe than latex, their made from like an organic compound and for people who have allergies with latex gloves. Their like skin tight, they look really cool. I'll wear those regardless if I'm cleaning or not haha.

BG

Infectious control is the key to success. Especially if you keep different frogs.The only problem i have is my cane toad . I keep him in isalation.lol.If i touch him and touch the food for my other frogs could be deadly.

Sublime

Oh yeah, I'm surprised you got one of those. You wear gloves when handling anything to due with your cane toad?

Nationality
    [United States]

Any regular powder-free gloves that have no other additives should be ok. The powder could harm them. Btw, Autumn is right. I've seen and treated some pretty rotten cases of salmonella poisoning and it's not pretty. I won't torture you with the details, but everyone owning amphibians should be cautious to the possibility of catching it. And we can also make our babies sick. Gloves are a great idea. I wash my hands probably 50 X's a day at work. The same principles apply everywhere. Unfortunately the safest way to protect yourself is to assume things are contaminated. Don't overdo, but, be cleanly. Autumn? Do you work in the medical field also?

12. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Any regular powder-free gloves that have no other additives should be ok. The powder could harm them. Btw, Autumn is right. I've seen and treated some pretty rotten cases of salmonella poisoning and it's not pretty. I won't torture you with the details, but everyone owning amphibians should be cautious to the possibility of catching it. And we can also make our babies sick. Gloves are a great idea. I wash my hands probably 50 X's a day at work. The same principles apply everywhere. Unfortunately the safest way to protect yourself is to assume things are contaminated. Don't overdo, but, be cleanly. Autumn? Do you work in the medical field also?
    Alright, thanks. Oh ya? I never knew salmonella poisoning was that bad; I knew my frog carried salmonella, but I didn't think too much about it and didn't care. Good thing we don't have babies in the house, but I'll still be more careful from now on. Thanks for that heads up and cautioning everyone else for their own safety. If I washed my hands 50x a day, I would have to kill myself. Haha... I'm tired of leaning over in front of my sink, but it must be done. The gloves should relieve some of the annoyance . Yeah if you ever saw the movie, "What About Bob?" my dad said I was beginning to act like that guy all neurotic about being cleanly lol. RN is a great job, always will need medical 24/7 for whomever. Just sucks that some shifts you have to work holidays. Take it easy.

Nationality
    [United States]

Just an FYI, I don't wear gloves when handling my frogs though bc if you wash properly before and after handling them it should be no worry . Salmonella causes GI issues... Profuse diarrhea and dehydration, etc. It would be more unpleasant than anything else, so to speak. Like food poisoning does . Ugh!

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Heather is right too. I use nitrile gloves that are powder and latex free.
    Oh no, I don’t actually work in the medical field. My dad used to work at the virology lab here at UAF and knew a lot about quarantine, sanitation, and the like. He told me a bit about what he did in the field. I’m also interested in microbiology/amphibian pathology and as a result read a lot about viruses/diseases related to frogs and how some can be transmitted to people.

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    Thank you very much Autumn! We are very much a like haha. Yeah I find that I wash my hands 10-20 times a day right now, very annoying. The disposable gloves are a great idea, can't believe I never thought of that. Do you think those black Nitrile disposable gloves (powder-free) are safe? The Nitrile gloves I've heard are more safe than latex, their made from like an organic compound and for people who have allergies with latex gloves. Their like skin tight, they look really cool. I'll wear those regardless if I'm cleaning or not haha.
    Your welcome ! Haha, I know it does get very annoying washing my hands all those times (and if I’m really paranoid, my arms lol :P)!! You should see me when it comes to doing a complete tank cleaning….not a pretty sight hehehe.

Nationality
    [United States]

Lol!!! I do wash a lot. I think bc it's been imbedded into my brain, lol, after 15 years in the medical field. I'm so used to it, it's nearly habit. Headed home from work right now. Autumn, that's pretty cool! Sublime, ha ha, that's funny : ).

Thread Information