Thread: Please help :/

lenameri

Default Please help :/

My whites tree frog, Rufus, hasn't been eating for about a month now. I've tried raising the temperature and the humidity in his cage but he still doesn't seem interested in the crickets I put in at night. I even tried feeding him some super worms but he runs away from them when I put them down next to him and he doesn't even look at them when I try to hold them out with tweezers. Is there a specific way for me to hold the super worms that will make them more appealing? He has been shedding a lot, and his eyes have some white marks along the top but other than that he's been as active as normal. Any help would be really appreciated thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Please help :/

You want humidity around 50 percent and temps should be normal house temps... 68-70 at night and mid to upper 70s during the day.

Pics might help someone ID something physical you may not be seeing and any info on recent changes in Rufus's tank might help.
    Are you finding droppings?
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

BG

I he extremely skinny now. Can we see some pics. He hasn't had vitamins and calcium for a month now ,so he's lacking it.

lenameri

I haven't found any droppings since the last time he actually ate which has been making me worried that there might be a blockage :/. I'll try unplugging his heater at night to bring the temperature down then...maybe he needs a variation in temp like you said because I've been keeping the tank pretty steady between 75 and 80 degrees. I've attached some pictures I hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You need to make sure the crickets are not longer than the space between the frogs eyes. You also need to get some calcium on the crickets.
    I would put the crickets in a small glass bowl so you can monitor them and make picking them off easier.

Since they are nocturnal creatures, don't have a light on at night if possible. You also need to have something they can climb and perch on such as branches and larger leaf plants. Being able to hide or at least feel hidden along with being able to move around on something other than the tanks bottom should be provided.

Maybe someone else might see something from you pics.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Nabced

My whites was looking like that for a bit before i removed him from the tank i had to a smaller one for a night or two to monitor his eating, i also put him in the room people rarely go into so he didnt feel stressed by me watching him eat. Best of luck getting him to eat!

lenameri

Thank you. Did putting your whites in a quieter room help? How long did it take you to see improvements if it did?

lenameri

Thank you for all the advice. I'll try putting him in the glass bowl to see if that helps when I feed him. Other than that he has some some big leaf-ie plants in his cage well as some driftwood to climb on...I've been moving those around to try to give him more space to hunt since I saw that he wasn't eating. Do you think that might have stressed him out too much?

hophappygirl

You have a White's Treefrog Too? Cool!!! Once my frog escaped from his cage and when we found him he was so stressed out he didn't eat for a couple days. The best advice I could give you is to try make him eat a cricket or 2. Best of Luck!!

hophappygirl

just don't be to forceful!! You don't want to hurt him

lenameri

Thanks for the luck Rufus refuses to eat anything that I'm holding with tongs so I don't think I'll be able to hand feed him. I've been trying with superworms but he doesn't seem to recognize those as a food source. I'm going to try putting him in a bowl with a cricket and see if that helps.

Thread Information