Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Had to save him...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Had to save him...

I went to the local petstore this evening to get crickets fir my retf's. I found this poor little guy in a small cricket keeper with small rocks for substrate and his water dish had slimy green algae water. I had to buy him.

The guy there was clueless and first wanted to sell him to me with the so called tank he was in, eugh!!! Then when I said no thanks he wanted to put him in a fish bag for me to take him home in!!!! Seriously!?!?! I asked him to put him in a small box and just carried him the rest of the way through the store.

I was not quite ready to get a pac yet but just couldn't leave him there.

Here he/she is. Any idea of what sex he is?

He's a beast! Tough little guy. Didn't mind me picking him up either. He soaked and ate and is currently just relaxed by his water bowl.

I hope he'll do well.

Oh! What's an appropriate number of crickets and size crickets for him daily? He ate 5 smalls and one med-large. He's an eating machine, lol! But I don't want to over feed him either. Are crickets and earthworms best?

Thanks so much!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sublime

Default Re: Had to save him...

Looks like a male C. Cranwelli to me. That's terrible the living conditions, he was in. Can't believe he hasn't already developed some form of a bacterial infection. Size crickets, probably 3/4 right under adult. Glad you picked him up, that's awesome you have a pacman now.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks! How can you tell male? I'm hoping cuz I'd like to name him Tank. He's a toughy. I agree. His water didn't even look like water. He couldn't even burrow. He was tucked part way in the rocks. He looked so uncomfortable. And he was under bright lights with no where to relax or get away from the light.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

BG

Wow . I can't believe you have a packie now. I'am so jealous. I was going to get one today too.lol.. Heather,i love the v marking on his head. He also has some hi lights between the brown markings. Thats going to be an awesome pacman,and very lucky to have a mommy like you. Good for you on your wonderful discovery. I realy like him.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Nice Heather
    Just watch your fingers :-) George will tell you..... they are fast.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Sublime

I read on another forum once, talktothefrog by a guy named Steven Busch or it might of been Ed Clark that you can distinguish the two sexes fairly accurate by looking at how the nose protrudes from the head. If from the nostrils down pretty much goes just straight down flat, then it's a male like how yours looks in the pictures. Females tend to protrude farther out to the end of their mouth rather then straight down. It shouldn't be full relied upon, but they said it worked with most cases of their pacmans. Wow if I saw him in those conditions I might of had to pick him up to, enjoy him .

Ebenezer Frothingham

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Thanks! How can you tell male? I'm hoping cuz I'd like to name him Tank. He's a toughy. I agree. His water didn't even look like water. He couldn't even burrow. He was tucked part way in the rocks. He looked so uncomfortable. And he was under bright lights with no where to relax or get away from the light.
    Does he croak or ribbet? I think the females are mute, but the males make sounds

Ebenezer Frothingham

The guy there was clueless and first wanted to sell him to me with the so called tank he was in, eugh!!! Then when I said no thanks he wanted to put him in a fish bag for me to take him home in!!!! Seriously!?!?! I asked him to put him in a small box and just carried him the rest of the way through the store.

That store clerk sounds like a clueless moron. who clearly didn't give a poop about the well being of the animals in the store

BG

I second that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    I read on another forum once, talktothefrog by a guy named Steven Busch or it might of been Ed Clark that you can distinguish the two sexes fairly accurate by looking at how the nose protrudes from the head. If from the nostrils down pretty much goes just straight down flat, then it's a male like how yours looks in the pictures. Females tend to protrude farther out to the end of their mouth rather then straight down. It shouldn't be full relied upon, but they said it worked with most cases of their pacmans. Wow if I saw him in those conditions I might of had to pick him up to, enjoy him .

BG

Heather its going to feel like glue onyour hand when he turns on ya.lol
    Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    Nice Heather
    Just watch your fingers :-) George will tell you..... they are fast.

Congrats on the impulse frog purchase! I hope you gave the pet store a talking to or you might end up buying another one the next time you go in

Thanks! How can you tell male? I'm hoping cuz I'd like to name him Tank.
    The sex doesn't matter for that name, look up "tank girl - Google Search". (I'm only slightly ashamed to admit I loved the movie and I have yet to read the comics it's based on).

Nationality
    [United States]

Ha ha! Yeah, no doubt that guy was an idiot! I have a few other choice words in mind that I shouldn't say! For my purposes I guess the sex doesn't matter but I'd like to know. He's so cute! I just love him! Ooh, I hope he doesn't bite me, lol!!! So far, so good. But time will tell. He's a beast...dives at those crickets with some force. He ended up catching the cricket and licking the glass. He had me cracking up, lol! I'm glad I saved him . No croaking as of yet, but I've only had him a few hours. I just turned off the lights.

Question...my good buddy is having trouble getting his new 1 1/2" baby to eat. He just text'd me. It's been 4 days. Should he force feed? And if so, how? or should he wait it out longer. We're both concerned.

BG

Don't wait to long . They can become skin and bones in no time. Believe me on this one.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks George! He got one in him, thank goodness!

BG

He'll be allright once he kick starts him up again. Can we see a pic of the lil fellow.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'll ask him to add one today. Time difference is 3 hours behind. He's likely sleeping.

I just love my new baby! He is the cutest little thing ever. Pudgy little guy! He's all snuggled in his substrate with only his eyes and nose peeking out this morning. He looks so comfy . It probably feels so much better than those rough rocks they had him in.

BG

You see what they do to these guys.Some of these sellers don't care.They only care about the money so they can get another one to sell. Sounds like tanks is settling in nicely.

BG

You know Heather I,m just trying to be helpful, I'm not pointing any fingers at any body. I know when you get a new frog you get happy and want to see him eat. You can't be breathing on top of him right now for 10 hours. I'm just talking in general and not towards anyone. You got to let them get set settled in and a normal pacman will take food everyday. But if you keep him stressed for some reason,he will not eat.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes. I agree. He seems very happy now. I have him in a nice dark place and will let him rest . He looks very content. I hope he will do well. I am just very pleased to get him out of that torturous place. I'm glad I stopped there yesterday. I actually very rarely handle my frogs. Even when I clean their tanks I don't take them out unless I have to. As my other babies are doing very well also.

Thanks so much! I appreciate it! And all of the great tips!

Nationality
    [United States]

Awesome Pacman Frog! Great find!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information